Car advice

59 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The wee Abarths are great fun. The noise is incredible - very lairy exhausts. Set up really well for our roads too in terms of suspension. Feel like proper wee Italian sports cars. The image isn’t for everyone but you’ll think “f**k that” when you actually get to drive one. 

He means it's a wee lassies car. 

Anyone driven one of these? Also considering other similar cars
D95AD36A-1A2F-4899-926C-BF818903F9DD.jpeg.f60467a0241628c2e4211030465fef94.jpeg

@shandonpar hit the nail squarely on its head. 140i is where you want to go if you’re in that sort of market. Saw an - to me - astonishing deal the other week with something like £0 down , £10k off list and £400/month PCP.

(And no, I don’t work for the local dealer!)

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

ETA - not quite right. As always And we all know list prices are fiction but £8k off list and 5% finance seems a deal...

https://listers.co.uk/offers/2018/10/low-deposit-bmw-m140i-shadow-edition-offer

Cheers for looking that out. My only reservations with BMW is I’ve never had a rear wheel drive car and would be worried to go near it in the winter and also they use run flats which are like £200 a go aren’t they? I could be way off but I thought they were expensive.

8 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Cheers for looking that out. My only reservations with BMW is I’ve never had a rear wheel drive car and would be worried to go near it in the winter and also they use run flats which are like £200 a go aren’t they? I could be way off but I thought they were expensive.

3 hours ago, supermik said:

I think your first move would be to find out how much the insurance would be for a 21 year old on these types of motor.

Ah, if you're that young then forget about something like an M140i. Abarth would be a brilliant introduction to quick cars. Unless you need the space. Abarth 595 or Fiesta ST will be more fun, hold their value, cheap to run.

6 hours ago, supermik said:

I think your first move would be to find out how much the insurance would be for a 21 year old on these types of motor.

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Ah, if you're that young then forget about something like an M140i. Abarth would be a brilliant introduction to quick cars. Unless you need the space. Abarth 595 or Fiesta ST will be more fun, hold their value, cheap to run.

On the Hyundai it wasn’t to bad a price on the insurance, never checked the BMW but I would suspect it would be higher. Thanks guys I’ll shop around a bit more

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I had a Fiat 500 for a while and it was fun. Totally impractical with three kids two of whom were still in the five point seat belts! It was my rebound car!

Picasso now, much more suitable, not as fun.

Think there are little drain holes on the bottom of the doors. Maybe just blocked so try clearing them with a pin or something. Could be that the door seals around the windows are maybe needing replaced to stop the water getting in.

32 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Daft question, two of my car doors are full of water.  How do I get fixed? Seal on window or should there be a hole it drains from?

Open the door and climb underneath with one of your knitting needles. You should see two or more holes. Shove the knitting needle up the holes vigorously, in and out and wiggle it around. Expect your hair do to get ruined when the water and gunge spurts and dribbles out, so book an appointment with your hairdresser beforehand. The seals are probably ok, water is expected to get in, thus the drainage holes.

#mansplaining

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Open the door and climb underneath with one of your knitting needles. You should see two or more holes. Shove the knitting needle up the holes vigorously, in and out and wiggle it around. Expect your hair do to get ruined when the water and gunge spurts and dribbles out, so book an appointment with your hairdresser beforehand. The seals are probably ok, water is expected to get in, thus the drainage holes.

#mansplaining

This is what I thought but wasn’t sure so decided to ask the many men on p&b!

If you want to sort it like a proper man, then drill a big f**k off hole somewhere at the bottom of your door.

Also, nobody ever suggest a Fiat 500 ever again, they're Ford Kas in disguise, literally. Take the shell off and its identical. We had a three year old one come in chucking oil outs it's sump as it had rotted through so quickly, do a couple each year on both models. 

On 10/12/2018 at 21:56, killiepiemuncher said:

Correct my Vauxhall Insignia had the same problem, just poke the wee rubber grommets with a sharp object and drain them.

My Astra is really bad for those wee rubber bits clogging up and the doors filling up with water after heavy rain. Bit disconcerting hearing loads of water sloshing about when starting a journey but its an easy enough fix, usually just prod at them a bit and they start gushing out wetter than ur mum was last nite, hurr.

No idea why they clog up so badly, never had this issue on my shitty old Clio or going back further ye olde Ford Fiesta circa 2008 or so.

56 minutes ago, Rowan said:

They weren’t clogged just think some of the water is below hole so I need to park on slope!

I had two fast Clios and they’d both have water collect in the doors. Like you say, you need to park on a slope then when you open the door water pours out.