Car advice

On 20/11/2020 at 11:42, harry94 said:

So thoughts on this one all....

I own a 3 cylinder 1l corsa that's around 6 years old, I think around 35k miles. Always done me fine, minor issues every year with servicing an it's went on it's way. The most severe issue I can find in its history was when it was a couple of years old when the ignition coil pack went and caused a loss of power, the previous owner got that sorted the same day.

So at the weekend, I noticed a loss of power, not too dissimilar to that set of symptoms so I tried to book it into a garage ASAP. I went somewhere new because they had availability to address the issue soon and I'd heard they were decent. On the morning I went to drive it down, I couldn't get it started or jumped and had to get it towed half a mile from the RAC.

The moment I spoke to the guy at the garage and explained what had happened and going through what the RAC guy had shown me on his diagnostic and his speculation re the ignition coil pack, he was heading me down the road of it being something they wouldn't be able to deal with - "No error codes is strange and usually mean it's a serious issue that would have to go back to the dealer" -. After a couple of days, has told me they have nothing and an engine compression test has told them two cylinders have no internal pressure and it's past anything they can do.

I don't really have any reason to doubt them and there's nothing against these guys to suggest they are inept but part of this just doesn't feel right, I know improbable events do happen but it just feels all wrong to me that I'd get that talk very early and the really early warning re error codes just comes across as total bullshit to me, it may have been expectations control but I would have thought that an actual mechanic wouldn't have been too reliant on sensors.

So I'm down £50 on that diagnostic and potentially facing the cost of a new car. What would be the best economical decision to make? Ask my more favoured garage for a second opinion and pay for their time or brave a Vauxhall dealer or just make the decision now to completely write this off and try and salvage sell on value?

Would be interested to know exactly what code the RAC got out the car.

The days of listening to the engine, adjusting the distributor/cleaning the points is long, long, gone. If you've not got a diagnostic system then you're massively unlikely to resolve an issue unless you've got a lot of experience with certain issues (e.g. VWs have issues with Coolant temp sensors/BMWs bring on every ABS light when the left rear ring is fucked).

If any 3 cylinder engine is misfiring without a code, theres a high chance its burnt out a valve. They're just a bit soft.

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

Has anyone taken out GAP insurance before? Just got a new car and thinking of taking out GAP insurance from some online company, anyone got any they would recommend? 

Check your insurance first as NFU might give you the full value of the car for the first two years anyway (though they don't always do it for PCP deals.

2 hours ago, Scosha said:

Has anyone taken out GAP insurance before? Just got a new car and thinking of taking out GAP insurance from some online company, anyone got any they would recommend? 

I’ve done it. £160 or so I’m sure for 3 years peace of mind. Like you say, do it online and don’t use the dealer with their exorbitant markup. Think I’m with 123-GAP. 

I’ve a daft question. Can I leave my car park in a off road space in my street without insurance? Or will I need put it on a private drive?

It’s a long story but it’s fucked and I’m in a fight with finance company so not renewing insurance on 30th.

49 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I’ve a daft question. Can I leave my car park in a off road space in my street without insurance? Or will I need put it on a private drive?

It’s a long story but it’s fucked and I’m in a fight with finance company so not renewing insurance on 30th.

I think you might be able to, don't know what the rules are but I guess you'd be looking at a SORN (statutory off road notice) prolly get better detail on the DVLA site...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

57 minutes ago, RH33 said:

You’ll need insurance whether you park it on a road, on a driveway or in a garage. Unless you have SORN.

https://www.sagarinsurances.co.uk/news-and-updates/blog/do-i-need-car-insurance-if-i-m-not-driving-my-car/

Unfortunately, as of June 2011 no person can own a car without it being insured, even if you’re not driving it. This applies for cars that are kept on a public road, in the driveway or in your garage. This is due to legislation called Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) which aims to reduce the number of uninsured drivers on the road. There is even a fine of up to £1,000 if you’re found without a policy on your vehicle.

However, there is a way to avoid prosecution if you aren’t currently behind the wheel of your uninsured car. Simply contact the DVLA and register a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN) for no cost. In fact, if there is any remaining tax on the vehicle this will be refunded to you. Don’t forget to re-tax it when you’re ready to drive again.

Just now, Funky Nosejob said:

You’ll need insurance whether you park it on a road, on a driveway or in a garage. Unless you have SORN.

https://www.sagarinsurances.co.uk/news-and-updates/blog/do-i-need-car-insurance-if-i-m-not-driving-my-car/

I think you need insurance to park on a public road even if it's SORNed.

My wife got her renewal policy through from Direct Line, of nearly £1000.  Did a bit of shopping about and got a quote from Admiral for near enough half that.  Phone up Direct Line and asked if they would match it.  Boy cut right to the chase and said no chance and we both went on our way.  No trying to waffle and offer us a bit less.  That's the kind of customer service I want. :lol:

On 27/11/2020 at 20:45, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
On 20/11/2020 at 11:42, harry94 said:
So thoughts on this one all....
I own a 3 cylinder 1l corsa that's around 6 years old, I think around 35k miles. Always done me fine, minor issues every year with servicing an it's went on it's way. The most severe issue I can find in its history was when it was a couple of years old when the ignition coil pack went and caused a loss of power, the previous owner got that sorted the same day.
So at the weekend, I noticed a loss of power, not too dissimilar to that set of symptoms so I tried to book it into a garage ASAP. I went somewhere new because they had availability to address the issue soon and I'd heard they were decent. On the morning I went to drive it down, I couldn't get it started or jumped and had to get it towed half a mile from the RAC.
The moment I spoke to the guy at the garage and explained what had happened and going through what the RAC guy had shown me on his diagnostic and his speculation re the ignition coil pack, he was heading me down the road of it being something they wouldn't be able to deal with - "No error codes is strange and usually mean it's a serious issue that would have to go back to the dealer" -. After a couple of days, has told me they have nothing and an engine compression test has told them two cylinders have no internal pressure and it's past anything they can do.
I don't really have any reason to doubt them and there's nothing against these guys to suggest they are inept but part of this just doesn't feel right, I know improbable events do happen but it just feels all wrong to me that I'd get that talk very early and the really early warning re error codes just comes across as total bullshit to me, it may have been expectations control but I would have thought that an actual mechanic wouldn't have been too reliant on sensors.
So I'm down £50 on that diagnostic and potentially facing the cost of a new car. What would be the best economical decision to make? Ask my more favoured garage for a second opinion and pay for their time or brave a Vauxhall dealer or just make the decision now to completely write this off and try and salvage sell on value?

Is it a 1L Turbo? What year and exact model?

On 27/11/2020 at 21:03, RandomGuy. said:

Would be interested to know exactly what code the RAC got out the car.

The days of listening to the engine, adjusting the distributor/cleaning the points is long, long, gone. If you've not got a diagnostic system then you're massively unlikely to resolve an issue unless you've got a lot of experience with certain issues (e.g. VWs have issues with Coolant temp sensors/BMWs bring on every ABS light when the left rear ring is fucked).

If any 3 cylinder engine is misfiring without a code, theres a high chance its burnt out a valve. They're just a bit soft.

It is a Corsa S Ecoflex 2014 model. Mileage was actually closer to 45k. Bought it off a family member and was just a low powered runaround for a few years.

Got it to a garage I trust a lot more who have a good mechanic who always does me right. He had a check and thought the timing belt had jumped a tooth. Gave me the prognosis and we decided to chance it and try the new belt. The fix failed, he showed me the valves today and they were a state, around half of them had bent and one just shattered completely. Maybe my hearing is shit but the noise didn't really sound that catastrophic, just thought it was an issue with the ignition.

Quote for the new engine was something like £2400 + VAT and then covering all his labour obviously. He didn't fancy fitting a second hand one (and I couldn't be arsed going elsewhere) so he's done me a decent deal buying it off me for a few hundred pound so just going to move on and sort out something else. A bit of a b*****d as I've been waiting on a new job that's been delayed after my PhD so just down to one income with my partner so not sure what the financing will be like (or if anyone will even give it right now - seen a few with Arnold Clark and Peter Vardy) but car isn't 100% essential right now and have access to one for shopping etc so can hopefully put off to the new year. Something less weak hopefully.

Having had the steering whatever go after two months, turbo is now fucked. Cars practically worthless. It’s now a fight with the finance company. 

Now where’s the Arnold Clark horror story thread?

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

It is a Corsa S Ecoflex 2014 model. Mileage was actually closer to 45k. Bought it off a family member and was just a low powered runaround for a few years.

Got it to a garage I trust a lot more who have a good mechanic who always does me right. He had a check and thought the timing belt had jumped a tooth. Gave me the prognosis and we decided to chance it and try the new belt. The fix failed, he showed me the valves today and they were a state, around half of them had bent and one just shattered completely. Maybe my hearing is shit but the noise didn't really sound that catastrophic, just thought it was an issue with the ignition.

Quote for the new engine was something like £2400 + VAT and then covering all his labour obviously. He didn't fancy fitting a second hand one (and I couldn't be arsed going elsewhere) so he's done me a decent deal buying it off me for a few hundred pound so just going to move on and sort out something else. A bit of a b*****d as I've been waiting on a new job that's been delayed after my PhD so just down to one income with my partner so not sure what the financing will be like (or if anyone will even give it right now - seen a few with Arnold Clark and Peter Vardy) but car isn't 100% essential right now and have access to one for shopping etc so can hopefully put off to the new year. Something less weak hopefully.

How did it get in that state, do you drive like a mad man?

2 hours ago, harry94 said:

Aye, that sort of damage would tie up with the timing jumping tbf. Sadly if you'd made a lot of attempts to start it then the damage would be getting worse each time, as the pistons would be battering into the valves each time. Not a lot you can do to prevent it though tbf, nobodies ever going to know the timings jumped without trying to start it. Usually engine sounds a lot "lighter", and sort of makes a whizzing noise when turning it over, but its hard to explain through words 😂

8 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Traded in my GTi and DS3 for something with less pace and more space (in the back). Should be ready in early Jan once it has been fitted with ply. 

image.thumb.png.e53091e2cab06f862f89062d12fdb2ff.pngNice one!