Car advice

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

Without wishing to seem a total w**k, what would people choose here between an F-Pace and a Velar?

I don't know about the Velar but the infotainment systems in the Jags are shite.  If I was looking at these types of vehicles then I would be going for the RX-450h.

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

Without wishing to seem a total w**k, what would people choose here between an F-Pace and a Velar?

Don’t think you can go far wrong with either. Had a 4x4 XE before and think it has the same aluminium chassis and 4x4 system as the f pace and it was beautiful to drive and was great in the snow.

Velar is lovely so probably just a case of which you like best. Service centres etc will all be the same and the general  niggles the same too. Mrs has an e pace that’s now 2 years old and it just had its first service. They fixed a couple of little gremlins and it still feels like a new car.

15 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Don’t think you can go far wrong with either. Had a 4x4 XE before and think it has the same aluminium chassis and 4x4 system as the f pace and it was beautiful to drive and was great in the snow.

Velar is lovely so probably just a case of which you like best. Service centres etc will all be the same and the general  niggles the same too. Mrs has an e pace that’s now 2 years old and it just had its first service. They fixed a couple of little gremlins and it still feels like a new car.

Thanks. Have looked hard at both and I’m leaning towards the Velar. Looking at decent lease deals at the moment which makes it borderline affordable. I don’t intend to ever actually buy a car again. 

Velar seems to be about £50 a month more than F-Pace across the various configurations.

Edited by Thorongil

2 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Just be careful whatever you buy. There's kuntz on here will be rushing round to let your tyres down :lol: It's OK though. Because climate. Or something 🤔

They're literally the same car.

Deciding between the two is simply deciding which car you want to tell people you own, as it'll spend most its life at the dealers regardless.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They're literally the same car.

Deciding between the two is simply deciding which car you want to tell people you own, as it'll spend most its life at the dealers regardless.

1. They aren’t literally the same car. 
2. why would I tell people what kind of car I have?

3. It won’t spend most of its life at the dealer’s , will it?

Range Rovers are notorious for having problems straight out the factory, my boss has had his a year and it's been in the garage more than on the road, no idea about the Jags.

2 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Mechanically they're identical. What are you thinking the difference is? 

If it makes you feel better half the parts on the engine are stamped with Ford badges.

I know 2 folk with an F-Pace. One hasn't been able to do 1k miles despite owning it a year as he's got recurring injector issues the dealer can't resolve. The other gave up after his fucked a crankshaft at 2k miles, a common fault they're recalling in Japan but refusing to acknowledge in Europe. Heard the same from folk at the Land Rover dealers about Land Rovers, plus added issues on some Evoques where the DPF is poorly constructed and chokes solid every 5k miles.

Cars are shite these days. If you don't buy a Japanese car or German petrol, then you're pretty much just buying a Peugeot. Literally every 1.6 diesel is a Peugeot, in every car.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 hours ago, Thorongil said:

In what sense?

My friend was looking at a range rover and was told not to bother as they're shite. Transit van engines, lipstick on a pig and all that.

I see Randomguy hasn't much time for them either and he too is a mechanic.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mechanically they're identical. What are you thinking the difference is? 

If it makes you feel better half the parts on the engine are stamped with Ford badges.

I know 2 folk with an F-Pace. One hasn't been able to do 1k miles despite owning it a year as he's got recurring injector issues the dealer can't resolve. The other gave up after his fucked a crankshaft at 2k miles, a common fault they're recalling in Japan but refusing to acknowledge in Europe. Heard the same from folk at the Land Rover dealers about Land Rovers, plus added issues on some Evoques where the DPF is poorly constructed and chokes solid every 5k miles.

Cars are shite these days. If you don't buy a Japanese car or German petrol, then you're pretty much just buying a Peugeot. Literally every 1.6 diesel is a Peugeot, in every car.

Does the Velar not have adjustable suspension?

20 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Aye, you can adjust it either being attached or not. 😂

In all seriousness, look at reliability reports neither Jaguar nor Land Rover should be on anyone's radar if you value actually being able to jump into their car and get from a to b.

Edited by strichener

7 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

They're comfy as f**k to drive and you can see why people test drive them and fall in love.

If your dead set on buying one make sure its got great history and you get a long warranty. Theres a long list of issues with them and Jaguar/Land Rover dealers, from my experience, are absolute arseholes who'll just ignore you once they've made the sale.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They're comfy as f**k to drive and you can see why people test drive them and fall in love.

If your dead set on buying one make sure its got great history and you get a long warranty. Theres a long list of issues with them and Jaguar/Land Rover dealers, from my experience, are absolute arseholes who'll just ignore you once they've made the sale.

Cheers. I’m not dead set but close. Going to lease this time. Just don’t see the point of buying anymore. Would rather have a new car and change it every 3 years for another one.

8 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Cheers. I’m not dead set but close. Going to lease this time. Just don’t see the point of buying anymore. Would rather have a new car and change it every 3 years for another one.

Be careful with the velar as the base models do not have adaptive suspension.  I think it is still only the D300 and P400/P400E that have the air suspension as standard.