Car advice

You guys have made me think again. I’ll be leasing and I don’t think I’ll go for the Velar and F-Pace has a year waiting list. 

Any suggestions? Needs to be SUV and not one of the wee ones. My wife has a Skoda Kodiaq and it’s alright. What are good alternatives to that?

4 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

You guys have made me think again. I’ll be leasing and I don’t think I’ll go for the Velar and F-Pace has a year waiting list. 

Any suggestions? Needs to be SUV and not one of the wee ones. My wife has a Skoda Kodiaq and it’s alright. What are good alternatives to that?

If that is the size of car you are looking for, I would say you can't go wrong with the Volvo XC90 

Mitsubishi Outlander or Lexus RX 450H.

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

Hummer.

17 hours ago, Thorongil said:

It does seem expensive now that you and others have pointed out the reliability.

I don’t like Audis, Mercs or any of the current BMW shapes and I (without a hint of shame) want to move up from my Kia Sportage. It’s shit.

What’s a good alternative? VW Touareg? They look nice but the stupid name bothers me.

I’d say don’t listen to them. A new car has a warranty and if it’s in the garage you get an equivalent replacement. My VW group cars (Golfs and Seats) spent more time getting rattles looked at they never fixed and various other niggles. You can feel the JLR products have been signed off by folk who actually drive and tune them to British roads. 

DS7 worth a look too if you want something stylish and not German. Not up to much dynamically but the interiors are so un-German. Used to run a wee DS3 as our work pool car and it was 100% flawless despite living a hard life.

7 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I’d say don’t listen to them. A new car has a warranty and if it’s in the garage you get an equivalent replacement. My VW group cars (Golfs and Seats) spent more time getting rattles looked at they never fixed and various other niggles. You can feel the JLR products have been signed off by folk who actually drive and tune them to British roads. 

DS7 worth a look too if you want something stylish and not German. Not up to much dynamically but the interiors are so un-German. Used to run a wee DS3 as our work pool car and it was 100% flawless despite living a hard life.

It only takes a minimal amount of research/looking aound the internet, to confirm that the reliability record of JLR is poor, with the requirement

for lots of time spent at dealers, and outside of the warranty, lots of open wallet surgery.

I've owned numerous Citroens and Peugeots, from 2CV's through BX's, 405, 106.....and always liked the, well, Frenchness.

Even the 406 HDI that I owned later, an apparently boring rep's car, I always felt like when I got in, switched on the ignition, I'd imagine a little whisper...

".... Ah, le rosbif, il est arrive..."..

A DS3 is on my radar.

Edited by beefybake

3 hours ago, Empty It said:
5 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Mitsubishi Outlander or Lexus RX 450H.

Didn't really like the interior of the RX450H when we looked at it, which granted was a few years back.  We chose the Outlander over it.

Alfa Stelvio?

44 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Outlander could be a good shout.

If you’re moving down from the ‘premium’ SUVs then I can recommend the Nissan X-trail. I’ve got a 2016 one, and when it’s time to change I’ll consider another. 

Unless I can afford a Volvo by then. Volvos are brilliant cars. 

5 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

Great cars for grabbing a tango ice blast in on your way back from the sun beds ,think the Audi a1 overtook the fiat 500 in the “wee cow car” didn’t it 

I had one fee years back when I first left my ex. Apart from it being totally impractical with two still in five point seat belts and one in booster, it was a great wee car.

Great cars for grabbing a tango ice blast in on your way back from the sun beds ,think the Audi a1 overtook the fiat 500 in the “wee cow car” didn’t it 
Wash your mouth out, there is f**k all wrong with an Ice Blast, especially when hungover.

8 minutes ago, Empty It said:
31 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

Wash your mouth out, there is f**k all wrong with an Ice Blast, especially when hungover.

Sorry h u n ,hope you enjoy your salt and chilli  munchbox. 

Edited by Arthur daley