Car advice

Is an RAC warranty worth renewing? It came free with my last car and it's up for renewal. 

I'm edging towards taking it after the steering something or other went on a Mondeo and an expensive thing on another car.

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

Is an RAC warranty worth renewing? It came free with my last car and it's up for renewal. 

I'm edging towards taking it after the steering something or other went on a Mondeo and an expensive thing on another car.

Slow down with all these technical terms 😉

joking aside I wouldn’t , but if you were looking at it  for your piece of mind would problay depend on the age and mileage of the car and your yearly mileage plus most importantly how much it would cost to take out the Warranty Aswell . 

8 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

JLR cars have had the worst rep for reliability for years. I wouldn't touch them with a proverbial barge pole. Jap or German for me.

It does seem expensive now that you and others have pointed out the reliability.

I don’t like Audis, Mercs or any of the current BMW shapes and I (without a hint of shame) want to move up from my Kia Sportage. It’s shit.

What’s a good alternative? VW Touareg? They look nice but the stupid name bothers me.

7 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

Slow down with all these technical terms 😉

joking aside I wouldn’t , but if you were looking at it  for your piece of mind would problay depend on the age and mileage of the car and your yearly mileage plus most importantly how much it would cost to take out the Warranty Aswell . 

The steering rack went within warranty so that was replaced then turbo went on 15 plate monedo this time last year. Was looking at a grand, but due to history and then the mechanic doing a wee bit digging he's sure the mileage was fiddled with as it had been a two driver taxi.

The turbo went on the Peugeot which was 8 years old at time and £800 quote.

The warranty came with a 14 plate fabia (utterly shite car) I had in iterim.

I now have a 18 plate focus on 42k miles. 

4 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

It does seem expensive now that you and others have pointed out the reliability.

I don’t like Audis, Mercs or any of the current BMW shapes and I (without a hint of shame) want to move up from my Kia Sportage. It’s shit.

What’s a good alternative? VW Touareg? They look nice but the stupid name bothers me.

My pal hasn't long bought one and loves it. This it's the r line they have.  Actually thing it's the Tiguen they have.

Edited by RH33

4 minutes ago, RH33 said:

The steering rack went within warranty so that was replaced then turbo went on 15 plate monedo this time last year. Was looking at a grand, but due to history and then the mechanic doing a wee bit digging he's sure the mileage was fiddled with as it had been a two driver taxi.

The turbo went on the Peugeot which was 8 years old at time and £800 quote.

The warranty came with a 14 plate fabia (utterly shite car) I had in iterim.

I now have a 18 plate focus on 42k miles. 

personally i would jailbait it as its only a three year old motor, but would depend on the price of the warranty, and 42 k is not that much done more this year alone but as u know it’s all a risk lol 

13 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

The Porsche Cayenne is pretty much the same as the Touareg, isn’t it? That name any better?

1 minute ago, Arthur daley said:

personally i would jailbait it as its only a three year old motor, but would depend on the price of the warranty, and 42 k is not that much done more this year alone but as u know it’s all a risk lol 

Be as well putting the £20 month aside. Surely can't get third time unlucky 🙈

7 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

Hope I wasn’t putting you off the idea 

another way to look at it is if summit goes wrong with it 250 sovs problay won’t get you much at a garage to fix it . 

Nah, more confirming what I was already thinking. 

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

25 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

Might also depend what kind of insurance cover youve got and factor in when thats due for renewal? Assuming an RAC warranty is breakdown cover etc that you're talking about i think with the fully comp policy i have (literally couldnt tell you who im with right now as i cant remember, i switch every single year ha) i get that included as a wee extra.

39 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Might also depend what kind of insurance cover youve got and factor in when thats due for renewal? Assuming an RAC warranty is breakdown cover etc that you're talking about i think with the fully comp policy i have (literally couldnt tell you who im with right now as i cant remember, i switch every single year ha) i get that included as a wee extra.

Due up next month, it's breakdown and other bits warranty. Will be interesting see how much Direct Line whack it up by, have the rules about not ripping off punters come into force?

Due up next month, it's breakdown and other bits warranty. Will be interesting see how much Direct Line whack it up by, have the rules about not ripping off punters come into force?
Soon, however, the only people who will benefit are the mugs who don't switch every year, prices will most likely go up for those who do shop around. My insurance was the cheapest it's ever been this year £170. I expect it to go up next year due to this fair price nonsense.

Just now, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
6 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Soon, however, the only people who will benefit are the mugs who don't switch every year, prices will most likely go up for those who do shop around. My insurance was the cheapest it's ever been this year £170. I expect it to go up next year due to this fair price nonsense.

£170?!

Mine isn't a kick off the arse of £700 🙈 I switch every year.

4 hours ago, RH33 said:

It’s mainly a peace of mind thing but I think it worth it for that alone. I’ve got our mob on Green Flag. Never had to use them (touch wood) but they were about a 1/3 or 1/2 the price of AA/RAC iirc.