Car advice

35 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Live there and never seen that sign! Whereabouts is it??

I tried to find it again on Google maps some time ago with no luck. Looks like it could be Balmacaan Rd with the stone wall down the side? The pic was taken about 12 years ago on a boozy weekend up there so details are fuzzy.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Motor Mechanics....

I need your advice.

My sons 2011 Honda Civic S, 1.4 Vtec is having issues, when he is driving at say, 50mph and puts his foot down to accelerate, the revs go up as the should, however he gets very little response in terms of speed. This is intermittent and has happened a few times now over the past couple of weeks.

Any ideas? Slipping clutch?

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Dear Motor Mechanics....

I need your advice.

My sons 2011 Honda Civic S, 1.4 Vtec is having issues, when he is driving at say, 50mph and puts his foot down to accelerate, the revs go up as the should, however he gets very little response in terms of speed. This is intermittent and has happened a few times now over the past couple of weeks.

Any ideas? Slipping clutch?

Not the clutch - you’d get a mismatch on revs and speed. Intermittent fuelling (I suspect) fault sounds like something to do with the ECU or a sensor somewhere. Think I’d take it to the garage and let them plug in their diagnostics. 

1 minute ago, alta-pete said:

Not the clutch - you’d get a mismatch on revs and speed. Intermittent fuelling (I suspect) fault sounds like something to do with the ECU or a sensor somewhere. Think I’d take it to the garage and let them plug in their diagnostics. 

Thank you.

I wonder if it's a mucky fuel filter then? Knowing him, he probably runs on fumes half the time.

Just now, alta-pete said:

Eh haud oan. Maybe I’ve read it wrong. You’re saying revs go up but speed doesn’t? That does indeed sound like the clutch. 

Yeah, only at higher speeds. Like at 50mph, put the foot down, it revs up with the foot press like it should but the acceleration is not increasing as it should.

7 minutes ago, RH33 said:

How do you go about putting the original plates on a car and will it cost me anythjng?

If you have a private plate on a car you can put it on "retention" (£80). You can then get the original plate back on (this can cost too if you need to get plates made up). You can then put the private plates on a car in the future (no cost as you've paid the £80).

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

If you have a private plate on a car you can put it on "retention" (£80). You can then get the original plate back on (this can cost too if you need to get plates made up). You can then put the private plates on a car in the future (no cost as you've paid the £80).

So it'll cost me cash either way. It's not a private plate I'd want put on retention. Cars coming with them. 

7 minutes ago, RH33 said:

So it'll cost me cash either way. It's not a private plate I'd want put on retention. Cars coming with them. 

Cheapest option is to look out for a near-identical car and rip its plates off. 

Enjoy the new motor!

You missed the focus 🙈

Basically I've been offered better finance deal and I need change cars to get it. But it's too much of a change in APR not to do it.

Edited by RH33