Car advice

10 hours ago, 101 said:

Petrol and auto, wonder if I force it in a low gear it will see sense? Also it has an error with the stop start, I just thought the battery was low but it didn't clear after a non stop run to North Wales so figured that would have fully charged the battery.

What kind of car is it? 

I had a problem with the stop / start in mine not working and when it was taken in it turned out to be a problem with the ABS brake module at the rear was broken.

1 hour ago, The Stig said:

What kind of car is it? 

I had a problem with the stop / start in mine not working and when it was taken in it turned out to be a problem with the ABS brake module at the rear was broken.

Seat Leon

Got a weird issue with my motor going on just now where generally when the engine is not long started and the temperature is still low get this awful shuddering, feels like it's rattling your bones about but as soon as it begins to heat up it was going away. No warning lights and when it's up to temp after a minute or two it clears itself and runs fine. 

Me and my brother in law who does tinker with his cars had a look over it, nothing leaking, engine etc looks fine, he had a look at the exhaust and the cat etc to see if there was anything obvious there but nothing. Checked it for any code errors with the wee thing you plug in and again nada. 

Doesn't seem to be causing any other issues ie it's not causing anything to overheat and there's no warning lights so thought it's maybe an issue with airflow or possibly shite in the fuel lines, fired through a double dose of that redex stuff and the first run I had out with it yesterday after having done so where I was deliberately running it in lower gears at higher speeds and it seemed to clear it. Started the car again last night and it got up to temperature fine but then after a brief stop and restart with the engine still way above cool, it happened again so feel like am back at square one. 

Going to take it out a few more runs later to try and see what happens but any other suggestions? It's got it's MOT coming up shortly so will be going into the garage anyway but I'm now more curious about it than anything else.

Kia Sportage Diesel btw. 

28 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Got a weird issue with my motor going on just now where generally when the engine is not long started and the temperature is still low get this awful shuddering, feels like it's rattling your bones about but as soon as it begins to heat up it was going away. No warning lights and when it's up to temp after a minute or two it clears itself and runs fine. 

Me and my brother in law who does tinker with his cars had a look over it, nothing leaking, engine etc looks fine, he had a look at the exhaust and the cat etc to see if there was anything obvious there but nothing. Checked it for any code errors with the wee thing you plug in and again nada. 

Doesn't seem to be causing any other issues ie it's not causing anything to overheat and there's no warning lights so thought it's maybe an issue with airflow or possibly shite in the fuel lines, fired through a double dose of that redex stuff and the first run I had out with it yesterday after having done so where I was deliberately running it in lower gears at higher speeds and it seemed to clear it. Started the car again last night and it got up to temperature fine but then after a brief stop and restart with the engine still way above cool, it happened again so feel like am back at square one. 

Going to take it out a few more runs later to try and see what happens but any other suggestions? It's got it's MOT coming up shortly so will be going into the garage anyway but I'm now more curious about it than anything else.

Kia Sportage Diesel btw. 

Glow plugs maybe?

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Glow plugs maybe?

That was my bro in laws next thing to check after I ran it a few more times to see if the cleaner made any difference so always good to see someone else come up with the same suggestion as I'm a complete dunce wae anything car related. 

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Kia Sportage Diesel btw. 

My first thought was glow plugs too, but that would usually be accompanied by noticeable smoke from the exhaust due to incomplete combustion.

Have you noticed if the revs are lower than normal when you get the shuddering, or does the shuddering stop if you give a small amount of throttle at idle?

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Kia Sportage Diesel btw. 

Had similar symptoms on Ford Focus diesel - turned out to be a leaking injector seal which also leads to oil contamination

22 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

My first thought was glow plugs too, but that would usually be accompanied by noticeable smoke from the exhaust due to incomplete combustion.

Have you noticed if the revs are lower than normal when you get the shuddering, or does the shuddering stop if you give a small amount of throttle at idle?

I have noticed cars behind giving me a bit of a wider berth when it's doing it and there is a smell that accompanies it more often than not so it could be, doesn't help the only times i've had it out and encountered it since it started has been in the dark....

Re the revs, yeah, I do notice it getting a bit more sluggish just prior to it happening, for a car that usually runs absolutely fine in 4th from about 26mph I am needing to drop to drop to 3rd to get it up around 30 and then after a bit of welly it goes back up fine as the shuddering stops.

2 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

Had similar symptoms on Ford Focus diesel - turned out to be a leaking injector seal which also leads to oil contamination

First thing I did was check the oil and it looks and smells normal enough, it will be due a change shortly around MOT time as it is due a major service.

2 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Kia Sportage Diesel btw. 

I’ve seen a failing egr not throw up a code before while stuck in the open position, which might affect cold starts and the shuddering while cold ,while you took it for a test drive and kept the revs high that may have been why it never happened as the engine warmed up quicker ,if it was the glow plugs I would have expected it to have been difficult to start in the cold weather that we have just had and a warning message or glow plug light on in the dash, the above  poster saying the fuel injector is a good shout ,I would open the engine bay and have a smell about can usually faintly  smell fuel while running or just after you have turned the motor off . 

15 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Two separate times I've had the emission light come on and both times it ended up just needing the fuel filter replaced. Apparently that warning light can point to multiple things. The garage I took the car to plugged it in and there was a fault code pointing to a blocked filter.

After this I bought my own bluetooth code reader for 20-odd quid which has come in handy a few times since.

Buying a code reader isn’t a bad call, but can cause anxiety due to the c**ts who engineered these vehicles. It seems more and more times people are rolling into garages with the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, convinced their car is dying. When a reputable place checks it, it’s normally the battery is dying and the low voltage causes all kinds of error codes to get set. Disreputable garages use it to top up their kitty, but reporting bulls**t problems and pretending to fix them. It seems that replacing a battery at the three year mark should probably be standard these days.

There’s also the classic manufacturer wheeze of having X happen if Y warning occurs. In GM full-sized pickups, if you get an emissions code set for a certain amount of time, the vehicle locks out the air conditioning, basically forcing a dealer visit.

On an inexpensive code reader, you’ll also only get “so called generic” code explanations. So, let’s say you get a code P0660, which it may read “bad intake valve”, but the manufacturer may have the better explanation of “Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Control Circuit/Open”. These readers are a useful tool if you don’t panic and trust them 100%, but they can certainly help you locate issues.

21 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Two separate times I've had the emission light come on and both times it ended up just needing the fuel filter replaced. Apparently that warning light can point to multiple things. The garage I took the car to plugged it in and there was a fault code pointing to a blocked filter.

After this I bought my own bluetooth code reader for 20-odd quid which has come in handy a few times since.

If you're getting these light/codes coming up, perhaps what's needed is more attention to how regularly you service the car

9 hours ago, 101 said:

Seat Leon

Is it a 1.2tsi/1.4tsi with the Engine Management light on but no obvious faults?

Absolutely woeful for the Turbo Actuator to seize, if it is that, make sure they just change the actual actuator. A lot of places mistakenly think it requires a turbo which is vastly more expensive.

9 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Kia Sportage Diesel btw. 

Sounds like its misfiring, so its most likely a fuel issue/

A chance you've got a choked injector (being using shite fuel? Wrong fuelled it? etc.). Not enough diesel getting injected to start with so rough until it partially clears, then your grand. Once the flow stops it starts to choke again and the flow drops. Either that or its simply fucked.

If it have a leaking washer bad enough to misfire then you'd hear it, be a loud ticking noise when the engines running and you'd see the gas escaping and/or it would like tar around an injector.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is it a 1.2tsi/1.4tsi with the Engine Management light on but no obvious faults?

Absolutely woeful for the Turbo Actuator to seize, if it is that, make sure they just change the actual actuator. A lot of places mistakenly think it requires a turbo which is vastly more expensive

1.5 FR tsi mate, no obvious faults still running like normal. 

Do you think it will be okay to run it until they can have a look or should I be avoiding driving it?

Edited by 101

1 minute ago, 101 said:

1.5 FR tsi mate, no obvious faults still running like normal. 

Do you think it will be okay to run it until they can have a look or should I be avoiding driving it?

If its running fine then I'd be surprised if its doing anything serious. The fact you've got a stop/start fault heavily suggests its the battery though, which I just noticed you mentioned in an older post.

Lot of batterys are now coded and while they can be charged enough to run the car, if they dip below a certain voltage they'll stop doing certain functions. Start/stop is always the first to go.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

If its running fine then I'd be surprised if its doing anything serious. The fact you've got a stop/start fault heavily suggests its the battery though, which I just noticed you mentioned in an older post.

Lot of batterys are now coded and while they can be charged enough to run the car, if they dip below a certain voltage they'll stop doing certain functions. Start/stop is always the first to go.

Thank you.

Fingers crossed the garage can get to the bottom of it, if it's the battery then that sounds like a nice easy fix.