Car advice

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Engine hasnt actually blown up, btw.

Cars just been overfuelling in that cylinder and causing the plug to burn out.

Hopefully getting the map tweaked back whenever I can get a hold of the place who mapped it, until then just using it sparingly and using the wives car.

Bingo! How to extract more power? Change (soz, remap) the settings to add more fuel and oxygen. How else do you think it works? 

But because the rest of the (these days, hugely complex) car isn’t set up for this extra fuel/oxygen mix you end up with your fucked (sorry - stressed no.1 cylinder) motor. 

Depending on where your moral compass points I’d say your best financial option now is to fire it at an auction or WBAC at the earliest possible opportunity while it still drives. 

13 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Bingo! How to extract more power? Change (soz, remap) the settings to add more fuel and oxygen. How else do you think it works? 

But because the rest of the (these days, hugely complex) car isn’t set up for this extra fuel/oxygen mix you end up with your fucked (sorry - stressed no.1 cylinder) motor. 

Depending on where your moral compass points I’d say your best financial option now is to fire it at an auction or WBAC at the earliest possible opportunity while it still drives. 

Hoy! Then someone like me buys it unaware of the underlying electrical fault that they probably knew about!!!!

30 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Hoy! Then someone like me buys it unaware of the underlying electrical fault that they probably knew about!!!!

Indeed.  Caveat emptor etc.  I usually buy high-mileage cars and run them until they're scrap and, mostly, it has worked well.  I also (usually) pay for an RAC report and use it to reduce the price based the faults picked up.

The reports aren't really that sophisticated though, and the 1.4 Astra I bought for my eldest in Jan needs more work on it than I expected.

58 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

You realise I've been a qualified mechanic for over a decade dont you? I do understand the risks of getting a car remapped. It took me months of talking to mates etc., of their experiences with different places to choose this place, mainly as they do custom maps and not just generic flash files. Hes gone a bit overboard with the power but you generally do need things tweaked after some driving with these things, it's just a lack of mileage on my part has us finding an issue 2 years down the line rather than earlier.

I'll keep the car, and get the map adjusted, if it blows up then I'll just suck it up and pay to get it sorted, but by the looks of things no serious damage has actually been done (yet). I'd feel shite if I sold it privately, and for what the cars actually worth as a trade in I wouldnt be getting anything that's really worth it.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You realise I've been a qualified mechanic for over a decade dont you? I do understand the risks of getting a car remapped. It took me months of talking to mates etc., of their experiences with different places to choose this place, mainly as they do custom maps and not just generic flash files. Hes gone a bit overboard with the power but you generally do need things tweaked after some driving with these things, it's just a lack of mileage on my part has us finding an issue 2 years down the line rather than earlier.

I'll keep the car, and get the map adjusted, if it blows up then I'll just suck it up and pay to get it sorted, but by the looks of things no serious damage has actually been done (yet). I'd feel shite if I sold it privately, and for what the cars actually worth as a trade in I wouldnt be getting anything that's really worth it.

Ok Mr 10 year old mechanic. After the manufacturer spent £££££££s developing their optimum product, tell me how it worked out for you when you and your (presumably similarly qualified) mates decided on that particular two-bob upgrade? 

(Just teasing, you don’t need to, I’ve read the problem.) 

That manufacturers deliberately detune their motors from their optimum output to the benefit of reliability shouldn’t really be a surprise to a 10 year old mechanic. Upset the balance, upset the reliability. 

Just now, alta-pete said:

Ok Mr 10 year old mechanic. After the manufacturer spent £££££££s developing their optimum product, tell me how it worked out for you when you and your (presumably similarly qualified) mates decided on that particular two-bob upgrade? 

That manufacturers deliberately detune their motors from their optimum output to the benefit of reliability shouldn’t really be a surprise to a 10 year old mechanic. Upset the balance, upset the reliability. 

As I said, I was aware of the risks, which is why I wont be handing the problem over to someone else by selling/trading the car.

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

You bought from a reputable (insert sniggering Jose gif here) dealer. Electric power steering I think just goes when it feels like it, no test will show it up. Notwithstanding the current circumstances I expect it’ll be repaired in due course. 

Be prepared however that they may make some jokes about how the car seems to have recently been a regular up the Gleniffer Braes....

They "detune" to get as long as possible out the motors don't understand what that's got to do with a remap that is slightly out causing a fuelling issue.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

My car got fixed last week, the anti drop lock and a spring. I hadn’t drove it at speed until today. Any I went over 65mph the steering wheel would vibrate, not excessively so but certainly noticeable. Very annoying 😞

After changing any suspension components it's advisable to have a wheel alignment carried out. 

32 minutes ago, Pepper said:

After changing any suspension components it's advisable to have a wheel alignment carried out. 

14 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

that sounds more like balancing than tracking

Get both done. It won't cost an arm and a leg.

20 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Get both done. It won't cost an arm and a leg.

Is it better to go to a back street place for those or Halfords/Kwik Fit? 

9 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

It will if his wheel falls off and he crashes into a tree.

With the “luck” I’ve had in the last year or so, I wouldn’t put it past this happening 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Is it better to go to a back street place for those or Halfords/Kwik Fit? 

With the “luck” I’ve had in the last year or so, I wouldn’t put it past this happening 

KwikFit will find a million other faults and tell you your car's not safe to be driven out of the test centre.

I've used these guys in the past and they were okay.

https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/consumer/car-services/wheel-alignment

14 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

KwikFit will find a million other faults and tell you your car's not safe to be driven out of the test centre.

This. Happened to me just after passing my test at 18, never set foot in one of their places in the 20 odd years since.