Football Manager 2014

Lyle Lanley

Neil Lennon hates me, I probably started it but ah well 8)

Almost everyone in the league hates me, which is bizarre considering I send my assistant to just about every press conference. Neil Lennon's the worst for it, but Dunfermline manager Peter Schmeichel fancies himself against me too for some reason. I like Peter Schmeichel :(

Anyway, similar to TDN I'm giving up my Thistle save for a while. I was playing it whilst doing a shite forgetting that my laptop can barely last 20 minutes without being plugged in, so the laptop conked out. Only 5 games have been lost, but those 5 games were of free-scoring brilliance. *I've now started with Italian Seri C2/A side Bassano Virtus, inspired by the fact I have one of their tops from like 2006 sitting in my wardrobe. I've never really committed to an Italian save but I'll try and see this one through.*

*Edit: Scratch that. Lost motivation before I even started the season. I do want to start a career in Europe though.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter Schmeichel started on me pretty much as soon as I was appointed Gillingham manager.

My current save I started at Locarno in Switzerland before Raith Rovers offered me an interview and consequently the job. Decided to leave Locarno because although I was overachieving in the position I was over wage budget and the board had decided to reduce it even further so when the offers came in I thought it made sense to attend.

They were at the bottom of the Premiership and after 6 games in which I managed a meagre return of 1 point in 6 games with two particularly humiliating results I quit after a 7-1 thrashing at Celtic Park. (The other being a 6-1 reverse at Tannadice).

I was then interviewed by Livingston who I told to stick the job after they wouldn't entertain the idea of a parent club, Oldham, Gillingham and Shrewsbury before taking the Gills job much to Schmeichel's disgust.

Career games where you jump from club to club keep it exciting. On the older versions I used to always stay to the one club, the odd occasion I would leave to go to another but it was rare.

With clubs sacking their managers all over the place in the last few years, it makes it more realistic to jump ship.

Realistically after my Sparta season, there wasn't much else I could have done, as the money you recieve for winning domestic trophies is like pennies compared to the other leagues. Think I recieved £1.2K for winning the Czech cup or something silly. You get about the same for winning the Ramsdens cup FFS :lol:

The same witb ADO Den Haag. I won the domestic double, I wasn't really going to improve the club as a force in Europe without serious financial backing.

I thought I had cracked it by getting the Liverpool job, but that was a small blip in my otherwise great career so far...

West Brom expect me to stave off relegation, but in November, Mackay had them in 8th spot before taking the reigns at Liverpool.

Does anyone ever do really well, then think what's the point in this save file anymore?

i.e. took hull into the champions league then it's just like what now

All the time with Falkirk. Last 3 years I've got to a point where the league is a formality and can usually get out of my CL group and through 1 or 2 knock out rounds before I draw a big team (ie. Man Utd, Barca, Bayen) and get subsequently fucked because I'm still a couple of decades away from being able to compete with them on any level. :(

I've only responded to one press question in my entire career, back in 2014, in response to Paul Hartley singling out one of my players as a weak link.

5 years on and he's still utterly seething, every press conference between us has him saying he wants to put me and my tin pit club back in our place :lol:

Came up against my old team Liverpool last night. Gubbed them 3-1 at Anfield with Ilori scoring (after I had ironically sold him to West Brom, when I was at Liverpool! ) :lol:

Liverpool are still rank, 18th and we are in the January transfer window. Would be hilarious if Malky Mackay relegated them (with a little help from me ;) )

I'm sitting nicely in 7th a full 10 points clear if 10th

Up ye's Liverpool. Not that I'm bitter or anything...

Thats usually why I start at a smaller club, takes ages to get reputation and salaries up to a stage where you can compete so gives you time to develop your younger players a well

Usually I agree. My Man Utd save is keeping me entertained though like no other 'big team' save has for a while.

My first season I Won the league and lost the CL Final 4-0 to Chelsea. My second season, I best Chelsea 3-2 in the CL Final and lost the league to them on goal difference as well as losing the FA cup final to Arsenal.

Going into my third season, my side is pretty impressive and looks as follows.

GKs:

De Gea

Ron-Robert Zeiler (Bosman from Hannover)

Robson Ruebens (£3m from Atl. Miniero)

DFs:

Smalling

Jones

Rafael

Luke Shaw (£17m)

Otamendi (£13m from Benfica)

Varane (£29m plus Nemanja Vidic)

Souttar (£800k from Dundee Utd)

and a few young full backs

MF:

Powell

Januzaj

Kagawa

Zaha

Draxler (£38,5m from Schalke)

Alexis Sanchez (£13.5m from Chelsea)

Wanyama (£22m from Southampton)

De Bruyna (£8m from Chelsea)

Fischer (£17m from Ajax)

Brandt (Bosman from Wolfsburg)

FW:

Jese (£7m from Real Madrid)

Rooney

Benteke (£12m from Villa)

Lewandowski (£28m from Dortmund)

My predictions of a monumental doing in the league cup with Clachnacuddin were accurate. Lost 5-1 at Ibrox, although the team did at least create some chances. Lost 2-0 at home to Brechin in the challenge cup, was holding them at 0-0 until a lack of fitness took its toll in the last 15 minutes. On the other hand, I'm top of the league with three wins from three, scored eight and conceded one. Playing a 5-3-2 with two WBs bombing up the flanks and an attacking midfielder sitting behind the strikers. I've got a fairly young and inexperienced squad, but they're holding their own so far.

Just checked the International Comps in my save.

Italy beat Belgium in the Final of 2014. Brazil went out in the group stage behind Belgium and Australia, England were knocked out in the group stage by South Korea and Holland, and Germany finished behind Russia and Costa Rica :lol: Algeria made the Semi Finals by beating the likes of Portugal

Spain beat Mexico in the Final of 2018. Scotland qualified top of their group before being pumped by Spain in the next round. England (again) went out in the groups behind Cameroon and Spain.

Germany won the Euros in 2016 beating Italy in the Final.

Does anyone know of a database with an international league similar to the ones recently being discussed. Some sort of league system for nations that's played in between World Cup/Euro qualifying? Never really done international management but it sounds an interesting idea.

Does anyone know of a database with an international league similar to the ones recently being discussed. Some sort of league system for nations that's played in between World Cup/Euro qualifying? Never really done international management but it sounds an interesting idea.

Not offhand but someone will have done it. Have a look on FM Base, FM Scout, Sortitoutsi etc and see if there's anything there. Places like that are your haven for alternative databases and all that stuff.

Does anyone ever do really well, then think what's the point in this save file anymore?

i.e. took hull into the champions league then it's just like what now

Yes, absolutely. I had a Coventry save a few years back on one of the really easy years. After winning 7 EPL titles it just wasn;t worth it. Started a new season and won the first 10 games and shut down, starting up a new save with a diddy team.

Archived