Football Manager 2014

Lyle Lanley

Haven't played for years but I always used to use intensive fitness training during pre-season then change back to normal once they're all fully fit. You could try that maybe? Only trouble is you can pick up a few injuries so I tended to cut down the training in skills and stuff like that while I was concentrating on fitness so as not to burn them out.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need help. In my season with Manchester 62 (Gibralter team) I have qualified for Europe now 3 seasons in a row but obviously start in the very early rounds of qualifying. Problem is when it comes to these games my players are always exhausted. No matter how early I start pre-season my players still seem really tired and even tried playing my reserves (only team available in a friendly to increase match fitness but didn't work.

Any ideas on how to improve this?

I feel for you, really do. I'm currently managing Lincoln and had the same problems near the start of the save. Basically, there isn't much you can do, or at least nothing I found. Your games start so early that you can't bring back the players in enough time to get a proper pre-season in, and they're already pretty unfit given they're usually part time players. I did try playing as many friendlies as I could against the reserves, organising them the minute your side comes back (early) from their holidays. It didn't make much of a difference though.

The main thing you can do to improve it is to grind your way to being a professional team. Once that happens, you'll be able to attract better players obviously, and those you keep on will benefit from the better training. I'm professional now, and my players are still around the 70-80 mark when the first qualifying game kicks off. Until then, you've just got to hang on in there, hopefully scrape a few results to get you further in the competition without killing your players.

I have two players in my team who have died in real life but in the game are "unavailable to play until x date" (the date being within six months of the first season). Both are going nuts because I'm not playing them, because I can't so I sent one of them away back to his parent club.

Been quite a struggle but I always take at least a season or two before settling down, the amount of players I sell and release is mental at times.

Lasted about 9 months before resigning and taking another job. Zorya are fucking pish anyway.

David Goodwillie retired three seasons in on my latest save. He'd be a free agent for a while though, was still demanding £2.5k a week about a month before he retired. Stupid c**t

I've had a running war of words with St Mirren manager Allan Johnston over the last few seasons ('verge of tears' may have made the odd press conference appearance).

Start of season 2026/27, and I rape his team 6-0 on the opening day. Sacked the following morning.

Ta ta AJ 8)

Bought this the other week and powered through my first season winning the 1st division with Raith with a few games left to spare, there was a buyout during pre season, great says I. No. After the undersoil heating got installed I was told there was no money, none. Not even enough to pay for wages for free transfers plus I was being pressured into selling players to raise cash, off go 4 of my highly rated youth players for about £300 combined but still no money to spend on players. No suprise im sitting bottom of the league on about 12 points just before the jan window is about to close. only upside is i have managed to extend the contracts of Cardle, Spence, Hill, Watson and most of my youth players who will rip the championship to bits when we get relegated (i know we will)

and.... relegated and half my squad wants away, thankfully I managed to get them to sign new contracts prior to that so I should get a decent cash some out of the 5/6 who want away. That said I got a 2 year extention to my contract and still quite a few good youth prospects in the squad

I decided to try something a bit different, so I started a new game and went on holiday for two years until the first League 2 relegation playoff. My plan was to take over whichever team got promoted. One 4-0 humping of East Stirlingshire later, I'm now the manager of Highland League champions Clachnacuddin (I was a little surprised - IRL they haven't won it since 2004 and are currently mid-table). I took over a squad which was mostly defenders and had no backroom staff. Signed a couple of coaches, a new striker and a midfield and then embarked on my first preseason game, a decent 2-2 away at Forres. The board expectations are for me to stay up and not get humiliated in the cups, so I watched the draws for the first rounds of the Challenge and League cups with fingers crossed. Brechin at home in the Challenge cup will be tough, but I *might* take something out of it. In the League cup, though, I may struggle to avoid an utter thumping. Rangers away. Bugger.

On my Stirling Game, Scougall retired, must have been 2018. My Brother had a Clyde game rubbing parallel to mine, signed him when he got to the Premier, but when I searched for him it was just blank!

Started a new game yesterday with Sparta Prague. Challenge that I have set is that you win the league with the set team, then leave. You can only leave (you might be sacked however) once you have won the league. Played about 19 matches and lost only once to the bottom side (usual) went out if Europe in the qualifying stage to Hacken.

So it was good that there was no distractions during the league campaign. Form has definitely dropped. Little bit after the winter break!

Well I won the league and the Czech Cup with Sparta Prague. Helped by signing a Cameroonian striker for £1.8M. To be honest demolished most teams, yet only won the league by 4 points as Slovan Liberec kept the pace the whole season. Luckily I beat them twice which did wonders.

So after winning a double, in terms of my game it was time to resign. Rejected a few job offers before taking the ADO den Haag job. They finished a respectable 7th in the Erevedisie the previous season. They even qualified for the Europa league after winning their weird play off thing they have going on in Holland.

What. A. Season. After looking unlikely the previous month I ended up not only winning the Dutch cup on penalties, but pipping Ajax to the league title by a point as well. Quite incredible considering my squad wasn't the best. I managed to sign, Fabianski, Lescott and Van Aanholt which definitely tightened up the defence. Chelsea were parent club and I got Patrick Bamford on loan. 20 goals for him. Just brilliant.

So no onto my 3rd season. Liverpool job came up, I applied and now I'm at Anfield. Loving this game!

Ally McCoist sacked by Rangers, and gets the Dundee United job. Gives a 37 y/o Brazilian winger a 2-year contract. Gets United relegated.

:lol:

Sounds about right, yep.

Retained the SPL and League Cup, scoring almost but not quite 100 goals in the league alone in the process. Conceded a fair bit, too (about a dozen more than 2nd placed Celtic) but reaming teams on a constant basis took us to the title.

Had the best game ever, too, with a 7-1 win over Dundee Utd. Not the highest scoring, but in terms of the goals and chances it was awesome to watch. Over 10 clear cut chances and real champagne football.

A bit bored now, though - got beasted a bit in the first Champions League campaign (although the group was Roma, Real Madrid and Man City, drew twice with Roma but lost every other game) and its hard to be motivated when Last 16 is about the furthest I can see the club going without a sugar daddy. Club keep refusing to build a new stadium or expand Firhill, too, so alas domestic domination is as good as it gets.

Think I'll give it up for a while before starting a new save somewhere else. Or I might do what I've done in the past - use the editor, make Queens Park professional and give them a sugar daddy, turning them into a real force thanks to Hampden being massive.

On the plus side, I did find this fantastically named gentleman:

post-19852-0-62621100-1395962983_thumb.p

ALL ABOARD THE CHARISMA TRAIN! CHOO CHOO!

Immediately join Liverpool and Coutinho, Lucas and Suarez all want to leave.

Coutinho and Lucas both said i have not raised the profile of the club! I'm just in the bloody door...

Cry baby arseholes.

I've had a running war of words with St Mirren manager Allan Johnston over the last few seasons ('verge of tears' may have made the odd press conference appearance).

Start of season 2026/27, and I rape his team 6-0 on the opening day. Sacked the following morning.

Ta ta AJ 8)

Neil Lennon hates me, I probably started it but ah well 8)

Sacked at Liverpool. I think it was a conspiracy headed by Saurez...players took ages to learn my formation, contant moaning from the players. Got humped 6-1 at the Emirates. Immediately called to an emergency board meeting, said I would win my next game.

It was at Home to Aston Villa. Was 2-1 up with 8 minutes remaining, and Lucas kills a player in the middle of the park and gets sent off. In the next bit if play, they score a free kick to make it 2-2 on 89 minutes...they had about 3 passages of play the whole game..

Yep, sacked right after the match. Malky Mackay took over after leaving West Brom.

I'm now at West Brom. Played 2, won 2. I hate being a big club.

Thats usually why I start at a smaller club, takes ages to get reputation and salaries up to a stage where you can compete so gives you time to develop your younger players a well

Archived