Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's a literal statement of fact. You've bolded a player as "getting fairly regular first team football" which simply isn't true.

I bet you are the kind of guy that sits in the corner of the pub while all your 'mates' are chatting and fact check their conversation. You are a terrible bore who loves to be right all the time so continually corrects posters on trivial facts. Yes, you are right, but does it really make any difference to the general thrust of my post which was there are some really talented players breaking through? No. Does it add anything to the topic discussed? No. Is it well received? No.

If there was a mute button I'd use it on you. Before you post next time, maybe you want to think about how you come across on this forum as it has already been pointed out to you that your current approach is unwanted and uninteresting.

There is a mute function on here, feel free to use it.
Craig, I appreciate your knowledge and it's good to keep things factual. But come on.

The guy posted a lengthy list of young players, having obviously taken time to put it together, simply to share with fellow Scotland fans.

You come in, ignoring all that, and point the finger down at an inaccuracy.
No effort to acknowledge both the pros and cons, e.g. "thanks for this, but..."
Just going straight for the error like it's some sort of trophy.

Have a look at yourself.

It's one of the most basic interactions on the internet, someone makes a mistake and someone else corrects them for it. It happened to me on the other thread today. I'm not sure why it warranted the sort of reaction it did, it wasn't rude, it wasn't offensive, it didn't belittle the other poster in any way, it was just a quick comment underneath.

It's one of the most basic interactions on the internet, someone makes a mistake and someone else corrects them for it. It happened to me on the other thread today. I'm not sure why it warranted the sort of reaction it did, it wasn't rude, it wasn't offensive, it didn't belittle the other poster in any way, it was just a quick comment underneath.
That's totally okay if it's a quick comment, but if you use that approach consistently (which you do) then it comes across poorly - as if you're taking pleasure in belittling posters for errors while completely ignoring the time and effort they might have put into something.

I realise a lot of this is probably down to the medium we're using - where tone and intent aren't always inferred as they were implied. Thats why - in my opinion - the best contributors on here are those who know how to apply a dash of charm or humour to express their point instead of just issuing one blunt dismissal after another. It also helps open up the debate instead of shutting it down.

27 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

That's totally okay if it's a quick comment, but if you use that approach consistently (which you do) then it comes across poorly - as if you're taking pleasure in belittling posters for errors while completely ignoring the time and effort they might have put into something.

I realise a lot of this is probably down to the medium we're using - where tone and intent aren't always inferred as they were implied. Thats why - in my opinion - the best contributors on here are those who know how to apply a dash of charm or humour to express their point instead of just issuing one blunt dismissal after another. It also helps open up the debate instead of shutting it down.

To be fair, and on reflection, it was an overreaction from my side and I apologise for that. It did come across exactly as you describe though and it’s frustrating because I know from personal experience that it discourages some from posting or engaging in discussion. I lurked on here for years before posting because I didn’t want to have interactions like that. You might say that is a little bit sad but the human psyche is a complex thing. I’m sure we all, including me, can do better.

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I agree with you, I think the reaction in this situation is overblown. I would probably thank you for correcting a factual inaccuracy. Many people just don't like their errors being pointed out and take it as a personal attack.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:
3 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:
It would be pretty funny if he turns out to be brilliant, we've been looking for a good forward for years.
We finally find one and his names Dire.

Let's hope a Pishy McWoeful breaks through sometime soon

To be serious for a moment, our long term goalie situation is about to be sorted by young Hans Butterworth!

Just now, accies1874 said:

A healthy blend of folk I've never heard of, jobbers, promising 16-year-olds and folk kicking about first teams at a high(ish) level. 

Delighted to see Bowie back in the squad. Seems to be doing really well at Northampton. Hopefully he’s not far off the full squad come 2024.

41 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Anderson is a real talent. 

Delighted to see him in the squad. Made his England 21s debut last year I think it was and with him in and around the Newcastle squad now i thought that was the last we would see of him in a Scotland shirt. Also pleased to see Doak in there. As i've mentioned previously, from the matches/clips I've saw he's the one for me that could finally be our 'diamond' in the coming years