Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

Not sure what's 'brave' exactly about playing a country with only a marginally larger population, stinking the place out, being comprehensively outplayed and slithering away with a draw that achieves nothing.

That a Scottish commentary team views any of the above as worthy of praise sums up the honking state of the game in the country. 

2 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Great result but an utter shitshow of a performance.

The result means absolutely nothing.

We haven't been in contention to qualify since we won a single game in the whole of qualifying. in the last game of qualification there should be some semblance of a performance and blooding some guys to get ready for the next campaign.

Get Gemill Out.

I have watched the under 21s for years now, we go through a number of different players of course.

But it’s the same rubbish all the time, no style. We really should be looking at bringing someone in who can actually develop guys for being ready for the first team.

Someone made an interesting point earlier regarding Alex Lowry not starting. Then you look at some of the boys who are starting that won’t ever make the first team and are now at the age of 21/22.

Pointless team selection in a pointless game.

The under 21’s are on the same level as the likes of Kazakhstan etc.

Very worrying.

But we did have Malky in charge of overseeing things for a number of years.

Gemmell will be in a job for life

Malky Mackay is a bad person, but he's clearly a reasonably good football coach and seems to have a decent outlook on the game. He successfully integrated a lot of young players into his Ross County team this season and generally had them well organised and playing a fairly attack-minded style. I'm not sure it's really fair to pin any of this on him, it's more the chumps like Gemmill who are only involved in the Scotland youth set-up because nobody else would ever employ them. There needs to be a bit of an overhaul, and I'm actually surprised Clarke didn't use his relative positions of strength over the last 18 months to try to force this through.

Malky Mackay is a bad person, but he's clearly a reasonably good football coach and seems to have a decent outlook on the game. He successfully integrated a lot of young players into his Ross County team this season and generally had them well organised and playing a fairly attack-minded style. I'm not sure it's really fair to pin any of this on him, it's more the chumps like Gemmill who are only involved in the Scotland youth set-up because nobody else would ever employ them. There needs to be a bit of an overhaul, and I'm actually surprised Clarke didn't use his relative positions of strength over the last 18 months to try to force this through.

I agree with you mate, Malky has done a very decent job at Ross County. The point I was trying to make was that he shouldn’t have been involved in the SFA in the first place.

When you have decisions like that being made, we have no chance of any changes within the youth setup unfortunately.

Think we finished second bottom of our section, behind Belgium, Denmark, Turkey and only finishing above Kazakhstan.

We should be at least fighting for second place, but instead the group was done a couple of games back.

Questions should be asked, but the guy in charge has a job for life and nothing will be said.

21 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

I have watched the under 21s for years now, we go through a number of different players of course.

But it’s the same rubbish all the time, no style. We really should be looking at bringing someone in who can actually develop guys for being ready for the first team.

Someone made an interesting point earlier regarding Alex Lowry not starting. Then you look at some of the boys who are starting that won’t ever make the first team and are now at the age of 21/22.

Pointless team selection in a pointless game.

The under 21’s are on the same level as the likes of Kazakhstan etc.

Very worrying.

But we did have Malky in charge of overseeing things for a number of years.

Gemmell will be in a job for life

This has been said for years and years, there is literally nothing Gemmill can do to be sacked.

We neither qualify for anything or play good football, so whatever the objective is(if there actually is one) its not being met.

Can someone not start one of those online petitions to get rid of the guys. Billy Stark as well I mean.

Or this just continues, we've good young players coming thru. We need good young coaches.

Fuckin happened b4, they swapped jobs at one point.
We hear about other countries fa's being corrupt, let's have a look closer to home.
Yeah I remember it well.
This era in the under age groups is something we'll look back on in years to come in complete puzzlement. An aimless omnishambles with no accountability whatsoever. Pointless (almost literally).

My theory on why Clarke hasn't pushed for change in the underage groups is that he believes, at least for U21 and U18 level, that the games are basically pointless and there's more important things to try and fix.

He could well be right to be fair.

What is the point? To get the best(ish) guys playing together throughout the age groups? Get the best prospects used to international football/first team system?

Tbh I just use it as an opportunity to see players who I don't usually get to see at club level.

Just now, accies1874 said:

What is the point? To get the best(ish) guys playing together throughout the age groups? Get the best prospects used to international football/first team system?

Tbh I just use it as an opportunity to see players who I don't usually get to see at club level.

The point is there seems to be no desired point or aim.

What you suggest should be our focus. Picking the guys who are likely to become international players and get them playing together. Get them used to the system and style they will play in the first team. And not really worry about the results to much.

I do concede that the midfield watching the ball fly over their head is getting them used to the full team. But thats more by accident than design.

Or not worry about development and pick teams to try to win things. We do neither, we don't win or develop.

36 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

The point is there seems to be no desired point or aim.

What you suggest should be our focus. Picking the guys who are likely to become international players and get them playing together. Get them used to the system and style they will play in the first team. And not really worry about the results to much.

I do concede that the midfield watching the ball fly over their head is getting them used to the full team. But thats more by accident than design.

Or not worry about development and pick teams to try to win things. We do neither, we don't win or develop.

How do we know who are going to become International players 

Their club sides prefer to sign third rank australians and the like rather than giving their own youth a chance 

My theory on why Clarke hasn't pushed for change in the underage groups is that he believes, at least for U21 and U18 level, that the games are basically pointless and there's more important things to try and fix.
He could well be right to be fair.

Especially when he has the three best U21 players in his squad already. I do think there's a value in it in terms of getting players used to being away and playing in those environments.

Just now, Binos said:

How do we know who are going to become International players 

Their club sides prefer to sign third rank australians and the like rather than giving their own youth a chance 

Well we don't for sure, which is why I said likely.

Like what I mean is if there is someone exceptional who's say 18, rather than keep him in the u19s. And continue to play someone in the same position in the u21s who doesn't look like a prospect. Get the best young players in the same team.

I remember Gemmill being asked about hickey being overlooked in the past. And he was going on about some English lower division left back. Who we had a duty to do right by (not and exact quote but it was some shite like that). We don't have a duty to do right by someone who's going to be irrelevant to the main national team in future.