Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

Another start and goal for Ben Doak for the u21s against Everton. His goals/assists stats for the youth teams/21s is brilliant this season for his first year down there. Seems to be progressing at a great rate!

Calvin Ramsay also played the first half. More minutes in the tank for him on his return from injury

18 hours ago, Detournement said:

The u17s will need Doak if they are going to qualify for the finals. Lennon Miller missed these games as well to sit on the bench for Motherwell.

I really like Lennon Miller, I think he might be another special talent. Rory Wilson is also playing in this squad and is probably a step above this level. I agree though, Doak would transform this team.

1 hour ago, albagubrath said:

I really like Lennon Miller, I think he might be another special talent. Rory Wilson is also playing in this squad and is probably a step above this level. I agree though, Doak would transform this team.

Rory Wilson now has 12 goals for the u17s (Soccerway u17 stats).  The record keeping is poor at that level, but can't imagine there are many other players with that record.

41 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Rory Wilson now has 12 goals for the u17s (Soccerway u17 stats).  The record keeping is poor at that level, but can't imagine there are many other players with that record.

I'd say you are almost certainly correct - most years the top scorer would have 2 or maybe 3 goals. Wilson's 8 in a year in 21/22 is also almost certainly a record.

In almost every previous year Doak's 4 in 21/22 would probably be the record which shows how good 8 is. Doak has 4 in total for the U17s which I would guess puts him in the top 5 all time at that level too, again reinforcing how excellent 12 is for Wilson.

The u17s will need Doak if they are going to qualify for the finals. Lennon Miller missed these games as well to sit on the bench for Motherwell.
Ryan One was withdrawn due to his first team commitments too, which is a shame as I'm interested to see how he looks at international level. He's a level above the domestic u18s but nowhere near ready for first team football (made around 15 appearances though) so is caught in a weird middle ground due to the irregularity of the reserve fixtures.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Clicked through on that link. WTF?

Screenshot 2022-10-27 143545.jpg

I'd say some of the detail leaves much to be desired.  I'd be confident of the match details and stats, as they are all driven by the official source (though the site often gets match officials wrong if there's a change in the last 24 hours before kick off).

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Liverpool u21 coach on Doak and Ramsay. Doak will go between the u18s and u21s and started for the u21s due to injuries, Ramsay is training with the first team and dropping down to play with the u21s to get minutes.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-winger-calvin-ramsay-plan-25340012

“Ben was unplayable at times today,” he said. “We knew how we wanted the game to go. It was all about the control and overloading certain parts of the pitch.

“We knew we’d get in with Ben, but you’ve still got to give him the ball and then it’s over to him really. Today we were able to get him lots of the ball. He beat his man a number of times 1v1.

“He was unfortunate not to score in the first half but obviously got his goal in the end. He loves the big occasions. Rangers, in the two Youth League games, he was fine with his mentality towards that so I had no issues dropping him in today.

“We’ve got quite a few lads missing at the moment so it’s a real opportunity for the younger ones. Today he was certainly one who stepped up.

“He’ll be flitting between the two age groups, he is still only young. At the minute we have got a few lads injured and a few with the first team. He’s still a youth-teamer but when he comes up and trains with us, we’ll see where he goes from there.”

Elsewhere, Calvin Ramsay also made his first start for Liverpool against Everton, having returned from injury off the bench against Accrington Stanley in the Papa John’s Trophy last week. Replaced at half-time, Lewtas reassured that the former Aberdeen defender hadn’t picked up an injury as he explained that such a change was pre-planned as the Scotland Under-21s international continues to feel his way back following his lengthy lay-off.

“The plan was always 30 minutes against Accrington and then 45 today,” Lewtas confirmed. “He’s not injured. Our job is to provide an opportunity for the boys to play. We try our best to be a version of the first team and play in a particular way. That’s what enables the boys to come down and play.

“He’s a lovely lad and I’m not just saying that. A really nice boy. He came away with us to Accrington, which was nice for him to get to know some of the team. He has settled in really well.

“But he is with the first team, really. He trains with them. He is fit now but this was an opportunity to build up his minutes as he has not played for a while.

“We have shown in the last couple of seasons — like when Harvey Elliott played a couple of games for us (last season) — that this group is a good opportunity to give players minutes, keep them fresh and ticking over. Today Calvin got up to 45 minutes. We will see what the next step is for him.”

15 hours ago, afca32 said:

U16s came from behind to beat Wales 3-2 meaning they are 2/2 after beating Northern Ireland 3-1 on Sunday.

Information on this game is typically sparse from the SFA, but I *think* one of the boys was sent off after around 30 minutes whilst conceding a penalty. If true then they won the game 3-2 after playing 60 minutes with 10 men. It was 1-1 after the pen was scored.

On 31/10/2022 at 16:33, Pie Of The Month said:

Fixtures are

Iceland at Firhill - Wednedsay 16th November 7.30pm
Kazakhstan at Somerset Park - Saturday 19th November 3pm
France at Somerset Park - Tuesday 22nd November 7.30pm

Some excellent and exciting players there, can't wait to see the silky football Stark will have them playing 🙄

Jash Adam at City is a central midfielder, very classy on the ball, previously in the Celtic youth teams.

Mebude everyone knows, a very exciting right forward from Man City who can also play wide left. Barry Hepburn of Bayern Munich is also a very exciting wide forward. He recently scored his first goal for the Bayern U19 side. A competent coach would find a way to have these two in the team, probably swapping wings regularly.

Dylan Reid from St Mirren is a very classy midfielder too, well built and robust. I expect him to be a key member of this side.

Kerr Smith who moved to Villa last year from Dundee United has had U23 minutes this year including competitively in the EFL cup.

Jack Harkness has had numerous starts in his loan season at Torchwood. He is undoubtedly the driving force behind their good form - he always seems to have time to spare.