Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

1 hour ago, albagubrath said:

Mebude everyone knows, a very exciting right forward from Man City who can also play wide left. Barry Hepburn of Bayern Munich is also a very exciting wide forward. He recently scored his first goal for the Bayern U19 side. A competent coach would find a way to have these two in the team, probably swapping wings regularly.

Is Mebude the boy that came through Rangers youth ranks or is it a relation of his? I seem to remember another Mebude playing for the U21s recently so thinking this is a different boy. It’s good to see a sprinkling of players at top teams like Man City and Bayern, although these clubs have massive academies that make a pathway to the first team extremely unlikely. Good to know they will be receiving the highest level of coaching at this age though. 

13 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Is Mebude the boy that came through Rangers youth ranks or is it a relation of his? I seem to remember another Mebude playing for the U21s recently so thinking this is a different boy. It’s good to see a sprinkling of players at top teams like Man City and Bayern, although these clubs have massive academies that make a pathway to the first team extremely unlikely. Good to know they will be receiving the highest level of coaching at this age though. 

Dapo and Dire are brothers who both came through at Rangers with Dire going to Man City and is in their youth teams just now and Dapo going to Watford before moving to Oostende in the summer there. Dire was always the higher rated one.

11 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

U21 squad announced, probably rules out some of them for the Turkey game unless there's drop outs when Clarke announces it next week.  Hayden Hackney sounds made up.

That team should be doing things. You have Eliott Anderson who is intermittently getting minutes for Newcastle, Connor Barron who is an SPFL standout, Ben Doak who is excelling for Liverpool at U23 and U19 Champs league level, Josh Doig who is getting Serie A minutes, Leon King who played plenty Champs league minutes, Alex Lowry who probably would have played more Champs league minutes if not injured and Calvin Ramsay who is close to breaking into the Liverpool first team squad. That's 7 players, the spine of a team, all playing at a very high level and excelling.

But...Scot Gemmill 🤬

That team should be doing things. You have Eliott Anderson who is intermittently getting minutes for Newcastle, Connor Barron who is an SPFL standout, Ben Doak who is excelling for Liverpool at U23 and U19 Champs league level, Josh Doig who is getting Serie A minutes, Leon King who played plenty Champs league minutes, Alex Lowry who probably would have played more Champs league minutes if not injured and Calvin Ramsay who is close to breaking into the Liverpool first team squad. That's 7 players, the spine of a team, all playing at a very high level and excelling.

But...Scot Gemmill [emoji2959]
Yeah there are some really exciting prospects in that team. Also hoping to see Liam Morrison get minutes too.

The other "problem" that isn't really a problem at all is that some of those guys might not still be with the U21s by the time the serious stuff starts. Doig has already been in the main squad, albeit he's probably 5th choice left-back, and I'm not sure Ramsay or Anderson in particular will be hanging around the U21s for long either.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

U21 squad announced, probably rules out some of them for the Turkey game unless there's drop outs when Clarke announces it next week.  Hayden Hackney sounds made up.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Hackney has been decent for Middlesbrough, came into the team after Wilder got sacked at start of October and hasn't been out of it since. Had no idea he was Scottish eligible.

Aye I watched Middlesbrough-Blackburn the other week and Hackney looked like a neat and tidy midfielder and the most likely to create anything for them. Admittedly only 1 game but liked the look of him. 

I always think it's a decent sign that Smith has already played a fair number of actual adult first team games at a young age too, even if it was in Scottish League 1. I feel like a lot of these highly rated youth keepers can't hack proper grown up football.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:
2 hours ago, albagubrath said:

But...Scot Gemmill emoji2959.png

Yeah there are some really exciting prospects in that team. Also hoping to see Liam Morrison get minutes too.

Gosh, I missed Tommy Conway there too - 5 goals in 10 Championship starts this year plus another 2 in 2 in the league cup. Not too shabby for a 20 year old. That kind of scoring record would have got you capped for the main side a decade ago.

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I always think it's a decent sign that Smith has already played a fair number of actual adult first team games at a young age too, even if it was in Scottish League 1. I feel like a lot of these highly rated youth keepers can't hack proper grown up football.

He was quite mistake prone initially when he got his chance but there's definitely promising signs there. As with most keepers it's difficult to predict. 

6 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Hackney has been decent for Middlesbrough, came into the team after Wilder got sacked at start of October and hasn't been out of it since. Had no idea he was Scottish eligible.

5 hours ago, CM. said:

Aye I watched Middlesbrough-Blackburn the other week and Hackney looked like a neat and tidy midfielder and the most likely to create anything for them. Admittedly only 1 game but liked the look of him. 

Looks a decent player but makes a few mistakes each game, but that’s exactly what you’d expect from a young player first breaking through into first team football. I expect he’ll probably have spells in and out of the Boro team during the season. Looks a good prospect though and great to see him so desperate to play for Scotland.

20 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Very encouraged with the current U21 crop

Doig

Ramsay

King

Neilson

Lowry 

Conway

Anderson

Devine

Barron

Doak

Morrison

Are players that I'm reallly exited about who surely we will build the team around?

Obviously Devine will be on bench but he is very good only 19

GK

Ramsay - King - Morrison - Doig

Barron - Lowry - XX

Doak                                         Anderson

Conway 

Something like that? Not sure who would be best for the final midfield spot.

25 minutes ago, albagubrath said:

GK

Ramsay - King - Morrison - Doig

Barron - Lowry - XX

Doak                                         Anderson

Conway 

Something like that? Not sure who would be best for the final midfield spot.

Maybe Neilson partnering King as he's played plenty of first team football but who knows. Hackney or Mulligan 3rd midfielder. 

On 04/11/2022 at 16:57, Honest_Man#1 said:

Looks a decent player but makes a few mistakes each game, but that’s exactly what you’d expect from a young player first breaking through into first team football. I expect he’ll probably have spells in and out of the Boro team during the season. Looks a good prospect though and great to see him so desperate to play for Scotland.

Had a great game today, man of the match. Didn’t put a foot wrong and didn’t look out of place.