Who do you support and why?

Spain

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started watching this glorious sport with my dad back in 89. He was a Redskins fan. I asked him who he hated the most....he said the Giants. So I decided to support them to piss him off.

And I still do.....f**k YOU JEFF

Raiders fan here, only reason was because the badge looked cool to the 12 year old Mackie when playing Madden. When I got older, got to read a bit more into the history of the Raider, from the high's under Madden to the lows and, at times downright insane, of the end of the 'Crazy' Al era. Love some of the early stories of the Raiders in the 70's using.....less than subtle tactics (Lester Hayes and Stickum spring to mind) and since then it's been Silver and Black all the way

Just Win Baby!!

I started watching the NFL back in the late 80s when I was a few years old. At the time the 49ers were the best team and so I took to "supporting" them. I loved players like Rice and Montana but my favourite was Ronnie Lott who played as Safety.

I used to watch Superbowl 23 over and over again because of that final drive and pass to John Taylor with seconds left. I've started to get back into the NFL again in recent years after getting Sky installed so I could finally watch the games on a more regular basis rather than just the odd one when I popped home when I was a student to see the ones my Dad had recorded.

As Simplistic says above I am quite happy to watch pretty much any of the games that are on and will get as much pleasure out of watching something like Falcons v Saints as a 49ers game.

That said, I'd love to go to a 49ers game some time. Might need to save up a wee bit more for that expense however. I think the tickets for their London game have all sold out.

Couldn't get into the sport when it first came on the telly in the mid-80s, and it wasn't until I went to college in 1989 that I started taking an interest due to a classmate being a huge fan.

At the time, the only player I had actually heard of was Dan Marino, so I chose the Dolphins to follow. Apparently, they had been a good side in the 80s, so was quite hopeful my new team would have lots of success..

24 years later...

Couldn't get into the sport when it first came on the telly in the mid-80s, and it wasn't until I went to college in 1989 that I started taking an interest due to a classmate being a huge fan.

At the time, the only player I had actually heard of was Dan Marino, so I chose the Dolphins to follow. Apparently, they had been a good side in the 80s, so was quite hopeful my new team would have lots of success..

24 years later...

Least you get to celebrate the 17-0 streak every year!

I was a neutral for a while. I remember my first full game was a turgid affair between the Steelers and Browns on Thursday Night Football. I've been hooked ever since. I asked on the NFL thread who I should support and Mr Brightside came back with an answer first. Probably the most trivial reason for supporting a team but after a couple of years of neutral viewing, no teams really caught my eye. Mon the Jets.

I initially started following the 49ers but I thought I should choose an East Coast team too, just to hedge my bets, so went for the Eagles, for no other reason than watching a rubbish film called Silver Lining Playbooks.

I watch the Redzone every Sunday and just enjoy the spectacle of it all but it makes it a bit more interesting if you stick with a team. Twitter helps keep in touch with the midweek news and keeps me interested too.

Seahawks for me. Picked them based on their awesome home crowd (recently a world record for noise). Would love to visit one day for a game.

Again, if you like NFL even remotely, sell a kidney or whatever it takes, but get to a game over there.

Buffalo Bills. Always liked the fact they ended up playing playoff games in fucking bitter cold back in the day, then blew it in the warmth of California or Florida at the Superbowl. Playoffs is a historical term in Buffalo nowadays.

My story is pretty boring and a bit stereotypical.

My sister moved to NY in 1989 and when I visited a year later they had a party for one of the playoff games. They won that night and then went on to win the Superbowl - I remember Geoff Hostetler being the stand-in QB but I think it was the defence that won the thing that year. I was 9 but that was me hooked.

The Giants have wee runs every now and then and the Superbowl win in 2007 was unbelievable. Its a cool team to follow. I went to a game with my brother-in-law a couple of years back but it was a humiliating loss that I've managed to scrap from my mind - it was the last game at the old Meadowlands. Tail-gaiting was weird and brilliant. I was hungover but the interaction between fans was unlike anything over here really. Its so annoying that the NFL has been taken away from honest, hard-working fans. You have to be stupid-rich to go to games regularly.

As a result I also support the Yankees and Knicks and yet somehow look like a glory-hunter (when I went to my first Yankee game in 1993 the team were shit - and the Knicks have won f**k all in my lifetime (despite a cool mid-90s run under Pat Riley)).

I do glory-hunt though in the sense that I don't follow it loosely unless my team's winning. I have enough shit to cope with supporting Ayr.

Again, if you like NFL even remotely, sell a kidney or whatever it takes, but get to a game over there.

I have little interest in the London games but America would be utterly amazing! Maybe one day...

I'm in Florida around Christmas, unfortunately the Buccs play on the road for like the last 3 games and Miami is too far away and the Jaguars are too far away and too shit.

Broncos fan and I think it came about because during the Mike Shanahan era in the mid 2000s, the Broncos always seemed to be on the live games on Sky and they were relatively successful so I decided to adopt them. I guess also if I was ever to go to the US I would love to go to Colorado so that might help to!

Buffalo Bills. Always liked the fact they ended up playing playoff games in fucking bitter cold back in the day, then blew it in the warmth of California or Florida at the Superbowl. Playoffs is a historical term in Buffalo nowadays.

Maybe this could be their year...

Archived