Who do you support and why?

Spain

Saw this rearing it's head on another topic, so thought, "why not"?

Who do you support, and why?

Also, who else have you got a soft spot for?

I'm a Texans fan purely because a friend of mine moved to Houston and my first ever jaunt to America was to visit her (before going to Vegas) and I took in a Texans win against the Dolphins while I was there. The Reliant Stadium was awesome, and despite having a raging hangover, I loved every minute of it. Before that, I liked NFL and kinda followed it but pretty much only watched each Superbowl and that was about it. My only other allegiance prior to that was to the Broncos as my older brother went over to Colorado on a school exchange when I was a kid, he brought me a Nuggets t-shirt instead of anything NFL. My old flatmate at uni was a Niners fan as he visited SF when he was younger, but I didn't particularly let that sway me.

So I would say I'm first and foremost a Texans fan, with a leaning to the Broncos, who doesn't mind the Niners but isn't overly fussed by them. But this season, I'm also developing a soft-spot for the Jets just because of the massively negative press they got pre-season.

So what about you guys?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a Washington Redskins fan as I was a big fan of RG3 in college and in the pros. I have a soft spot for the San Diego chargers as I had a Chargers T-shirt and the Vikings because Adrian Peterson is awesome.

I'm a New Orleans Saints fan, mainly following Hurricane Katrina, I'm a sucker for a hard luck story, then there was the talk of movin them out of New Orleans which I never like to see, only then did I realise they had been shite forever. Which made them ever more appealing to me! (Royal Albert and Scotland fan suffering is my thing)

I had always watched NFL and tended to support the underdogs depending who was playing never really had a team until the Saints, tended to support whoever was playing the cowboys, the packers, the 49ers or the patriots

Also have a soft spot for the bears as iv been to Chicago

When I first started watching NFL I was quite happy being a neutral but then most people asked if I had a team.

I was interested in Baltimore because I liked the wire and I remember watching a Steelers Ravens game that went right to the final second(and may even have had a very late touchdown?).

I got right into supporting the Ravens that night and loved their defence.

The season I first started watching NFL was Favre's season at the Vikings and sky seemed to be showing them every week so I flirted with them for a while and then settled on the Ravens.

post-1545-0-17537500-1381417547_thumb.jp

Again due to merchandise. A wee badge, not sure if it was even from America. Got a Broncos t-shirt a bit later and they appeared in a couple of SuperBowls when I first watched the channel 4 highlights show on a Sunday evening.

Got quite into it, going to a couple of Glasgow Lions games watching a young Scott Couper who went on to play for the Claymores.

Did training with the Diamonds for a bit but I went over on my ankle and drifted out. I did the chain-gang for a Diamonds v Lions friendly at Rob Roys ground once :P

Used to read FirstDown and looked out for the scores in the Evening Times on a monday, they may have been a week behind.

Not been to a game or even watched an NFL Europe game but I have seen the Toronto Argonauts at Expo Stadium ;)

I'll be the forum villain and admit to being an Eagles fan...

Started to follow more American Sport a few years ago now and picked a city rather than individual teams.

With so many New York (particularly the Yankees) teams being popular over here I kind of saw them as being like the Old Firm so went for a close by city with rivalries and Philly it was!

So I'm an Eagles, Flyers and Phillies fan. (really can't get into watching basketball)

I have relatives living in West Newbury, Massachusetts so I have a thing for the Patriots. I've seen them going from being a relatively shite team no one bothered about to being the team everyone loves to hate. I also have a soft spot for The Eagles as my Dad brought me back a rather fetching sweater (with a pic of Randall Cunningham) from the US back in the late 80's/early 90's

1982 or so, when we first got the NFL on TV in Scotland I watched it as a neutral. But, but, that silver and black just cried out to me. I did some reading on the Raiders, then Madden (who was commentating at the time), then Al, and "Just win baby!" sealed it for me. Also Marcus Allen.

Reading about the team of the 70's makes me want to buy a DeLorean...................

Helped that, in '84 I was sharing a flat at uni with a p***k who "knew everything" about football cos he'd done a student exchange for 3 months, and was a redskins fan! :thumsup2

And now, even through the leanest of lean years I am still a Raider!

ETA: Now I live over here and close to Chicago I do look for the Bears results (although I dislike Cutlet!) especially as my wife was a huge Bears fan (and I once met Ditka, the man is just special)

I'll be the forum villain and admit to being an Eagles fan...

Started to follow more American Sport a few years ago now and picked a city rather than individual teams.

With so many New York (particularly the Yankees) teams being popular over here I kind of saw them as being like the Old Firm so went for a close by city with rivalries and Philly it was!

So I'm an Eagles, Flyers and Phillies fan. (really can't get into watching basketball)

I did the same. Picked Houston in the mid 90's. I was more into basketball at the time and the Rockets had a good team.

Didn't really ever follow the Oilers. Started watching NFL in 1999 when I got cable to discover they had moved to Nashville and changed their name. Fell in love with Steve McNair right away.

What a season that was. Music City Miracle, crushing the 14-2 Jags and then One Yard Short in the Superbowl.

I'm a 49er Fan. Basically I'm a fan of the SF teams. Of the places I've been in the US it is the place I think I'd live in if I moved over. As for the 49ers, I'm an Aberdeen and Spartan fan so love the uniform, the history of the team and the way they play (granted that is just at the moment and could well change).

I would say though, that I'm a bigger fan of the sport than I am of the 49ers and thus I can enjoy pretty much any game and there are several teams I like and root for.

Due to having items as a youth I have a wee soft sport for the Dolphins and a big soft spot for the Cowboys.

Chicago Bears for me. Honestly not sure why. When my uncle died I found he was a Bears fan so I decided to become a fan. My dad is a Giants fan and my brother isnt much of a follower but is the Raiders! When I was younger though I did like a few teams so have a Bears, Eagles and Panthers uniforms.

Started following nfl for a while then thought I better get a team.I decided,as in fitba, you support your local team. So Foxboro was the closest city to Dundee so that's what I decided. Started seeing a girl from new Hampshire at the time too who's parents sent me over a Brady jersey so that was it.

Family connections to Michigan meant I've been a Lions (and Wolverines) fan for a long time, though not actually long enough to have seen the Lions win a Division Championship, never mind a Conference Championship and the possibility of a Super Bowl actually isn't even a possibility; whatever it is they do in the front office at Ford Field, they do it consistently wrong but you don't switch your allegiance! Go Lions!

The Reliant Stadium was awesome, and despite having a raging hangover, I loved every minute of it. Before that, I liked NFL and kinda followed it but pretty much only watched each Superbowl and that was about it.

This is The Thing

If you like the game move heaven and earth to get across to see your team in an NFL stadium, it will blow you away (and if you can get to a tail gate or a local bar with friends even more so).

This is The Thing

If you like the game move heaven and earth to get across to see your team in an NFL stadium, it will blow you away (and if you can get to a tail gate or a local bar with friends even more so).

We were going to go to a tail gate, but the fact I was still passed out on my friends kitchen floor kinda put paid to that. We got there in time for the game and some build-up though, and even with my raging hangover I managed a rather disgusting mojito (I swear it's not supposed to be that thick) and a few beers. I missed Billy Ray Cyrus at half time while getting my nachos though.

Supposed to be going to Vegas again next year, so might try and wangle another stop off in Houston for a game.

Archived