Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

18 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Haha for me that brae was just a way to get to school if you missed the bus and avoid the belt for being late :lol:

For me the scary bit was having to get a bus to Gilmerton after a night out and walking over the Lang Loan. There had been a murder back in the 60s and this man had put a woman’s body down there in a suitcase and tried to burn it. Right at the bottom of the brae where there were some trees in the moonlight that blew about in the wind. A bit like Tam o Shanter :lol:

Without the horse.

We lived in a fairly isolated spot, and I was never too happy walking down from the main road on a winter's night - or any night for that matter - not that there had been any murders or suchlike in the vicinity, but I was always glad to get into the house.

Funnily enough, whenever my parents moved to Elgin we lived in an even more isolated place but it never bothered me walking down from the main road, despite there being no lights whatsoever and even thicker trees on either side of the road than there were at our Aberdeen home.

Agree on Methil. 

In terms of general areas, most of West Lothian is pretty shit. Armadale and Whitburn jumped out at me similarly. 

There are also similar ex-industrial collections of small towns in parts of Lanarkshire and Ayrshire which are similarly shite. Perhaps marginally less bleak, but it's close.

On 10/01/2019 at 17:44, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

It's funny Rigside being mentioned here, as I was literally just there about an hour and a half ago and was thinking to myself that for a town that's really just a small housing scheme it has some murder ratio per inhabitants.

The rumour was that all the undesirables and troublemakers from other South Lanarkshire towns were dumped there but I never quite understood how that would've worked. I guessed it meant tenants who had been evicted from several council properties were given a take it or leave it option with Rigside. 

It's some place. A few years back I used to be there with work twice a week for a few months and it was fucking grim. 

Now I think about it, it was 10 years ago as there had just been a murder and this article states it was from 2008:

https://www-dailyrecord-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/hash-farm-assassins-get-52-years-966481.amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#aoh=15472024135625&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyrecord.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fscottish-news%2Fhash-farm-assassins-get-52-years-966481

19 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The Scottish Government has attempted to answer this statistically with their Scotttish Index of Multiple Deprivation

http://simd.scot

Irvine, North Ayrshire is a strong contender but apparently has a few well to do outlying suburbs

So Methil, Fife probably beats it  

One of the other threads had a surprising amount of people (like me) with a weird obsession for maps.

This is one of the best I have seen - a genuine chance to hover round the country pinpointing posh places and shiteholes based on actual facts and figures.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Keith. 

Shite name, shite place (IMHO).

'The Den' aside (basically a detached mini Rigside on the edge where all the undesirables and local family mafia are), Keith's a pretty decent place imo (not just because my other half is from there). 

Very little derelict / to let, plus the high street is arguably one of the best going of any Scottish town, full of pretty decent independent shops.  Granted that it's got it's share of teuchter dodgers who'll pop out at the weekend, but generally I've found that it lives up to the name of 'the Friendly Town'.   Plus it has what is arguably Scotland's nicest looking distilleries.  A shop called 'Boogie Woogie' has to be worth something as well (without opening up what can be the big Keith vs Fife Keith debate)

I'm presuming you got a knock back from a Keither once upon a time?

Eta:  I was in a pub in Fife Keith on Xmas Eve when the locals at the bar said to two guys "yer nae Fife Keithers, far yous fae?".  First guy says "Keith", the other guy then answers "Fife".  Maybe you had to be there to appreciate the comedy value.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

'The Den' aside (basically a detached mini Rigside on the edge where all the undesirables and local family mafia are), Keith's a pretty decent place imo (not just because my other half is from there). 

Very little derelict / to let, plus the high street is arguably one of the best going of any Scottish town, full of pretty decent independent shops.  Granted that it's got it's share of teuchter dodgers who'll pop out at the weekend, but generally I've found that it lives up to the name of 'the Friendly Town'.   Plus it has what is arguably Scotland's nicest looking distilleries.  A shop called 'Boogie Woogie' has to be worth something as well (without opening up what can be the big Keith vs Fife Keith debate)

I'm presuming you got a knock back from a Keither once upon a time?

^^^gets his slack from Dorothy Jacks.

Spoiler

My old mum died there so its always frowned upon.  Just to clarify, she died in the wee hospital not Dorothy Jacks.

On 08/01/2019 at 16:06, Boostin' Kev said:

Prestonpans isn't that bad in the context of the worst towns in Scotland. It's a 13 min train to Waverley iirc and there's regular buses that go to Edinburgh including night ones. 

You can't vouch for how good a town is, by stating how easy it is to get out....

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

^^^gets his slack from Dorothy Jacks.

Reveal hidden contents

My old mum died there so its always frowned upon.  Just to clarify, she died in the wee hospital not Dorothy Jacks.

Mither Tongue actually.

doric_sark.JPG.75cceeb326eb0b9b2837836794db3239.JPG

14 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

You can't vouch for how good a town is, by stating how easy it is to get out....

That's been brought up already. Prestonpans is pretty shit but at least living there has hope for something a lot better rather than being stuck in a shit hole with poor connections to anywhere decent. 

2 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

That's been brought up already. Prestonpans is pretty shit but at least living there has hope for something a lot better rather than being stuck in a shit hole with poor connections to anywhere decent. 

You should have just just at least it isn't Leith.

;)

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Keith's a pretty decent place imo (not just because my other half is from there)...

Yup, Keith should be nowhere near this list, it's a decent wee place. Compared to the likes of Buckie it's miles superior. There's worse places along the A96, let alone Banffshire.