Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

On 10/02/2021 at 16:50, iron mike python said:

You can use  the link in my signature if you want 5% discount of fees in Binance.

Binance has good liquidity, volume and better fees than Coinbase. It is also quick to get started.

On 10/02/2021 at 18:55, gaz5 said:

Alright @iron mike python what's the deal with binance earn (which I clicked on accidentally! emoji846.png).

Read through the stuff in their academy, but is it really as simple as my moving my coin into a savings account and they give me interest and I can take it out any time?

Seems like one of those "must be a catch somewhere" deals, especially given they are advertising 5% for £ at the minute.

And what's all this staking/airdrop stuff? You can make money from the crypto you already own AND get gifted new crypto coins for backing projects (if you get in early enough)?

Seems like Crypto has its own world outside of just buying coin! emoji846.png

Here's Iron Mike and Gaz doing not all coordinated posts trying to lure other posters into Crypto.

Binance have halted withdrawals FYI.

Edited by Detournement

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They're a marketing tool to lure people into buying more aren't they?

Even if you are just daft enough to pay the 'gas fee' you'll come out behind.

But people probably did buy more and actively encouraged others to jump in.

Edited by Detournement

It's pretty funny seeing you guys determined to find nefarious activity at every turn in crypto.. Is crypto the only industry where normal marketing practices are not allowed? Apparently nobody can take an interest in it without being "lured in"

Airdrops are a completely harmless feature where the only people who benefit are those who receive the 'free' coins, and the Ethereum miners who are compensated for keeping the network running. They're often given out as a reward for being into a project for x amount of time or for using a particular app like an exchange in the past. 

Crypto is a highly speculative, high risk market. It behaves like startup tech stocks. Why do people buy non dividend-yielding shares? It's because they hope the price goes up and they can sell it for a higher price to someone else later. Have these people been "lured in" too or is the crypto market singularly illegitimate? 

7 hours ago, Detournement said:

Here's Iron Mike and Gaz doing not all coordinated posts trying to lure other posters into Crypto.

Binance have halted withdrawals FYI.

Fake news. It was only halted for a few hours, and only for BTC on one network. Admittedly because the bitcoin network is rubbish when busy.

This chat of Mike and Gaz trying to “lure people in” 🤣🤣🤣

The folk on here hating on crypto are the same folk who probably think Plum (yes, Plum) is a pyramid scheme. I remember posting my sign up link for that ages ago and folk thought it was dodgy. Very amusing.

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Wait, I thought this stuff was the future, and that everyone would be using it. 

Nope, the bitcoin network itself is useless as a means of exchange when it gets busy. Incredibly clever invention at the time but a dinosaur technology-wise compared to many newer blockchains.

This is an Airdrop.
Since you posted about them RADAR has lost about 85% of it's value and SOS has very impressively lost 99.9999% and there was never a point where you could have cashed out for a profit.
But you were on here hoping to encourage people to buy this shite because you are a mug locked into multi level marketing scams.

This is the most concerning thing about this whole crypto circus with me. If people who understand it want to make any kind of high risk speculative investments, that’s fine. Some of them will make money, many will lose. No harm in that.
With crypto it seems these high risk speculators also want to persuade other people who don’t understand the risks to put money in too. Of course many have been successful in doing this.
As a direct result, we have a lot of vulnerable people taking money they can’t afford to lose and putting it into this fad. There’s been horror stories of retired people taking out their life savings and ploughing them into crypto.
Let’s hope no one on this forum listened to the quoted poster and is in financial difficulty as a result. The best investment advice for the majority is to avoid high risk speculating, and crypto is very much that. If you feel compelled or have been persuaded to put money in, only gamble what you can afford to lose, and expect to lose it.

12 minutes ago, Lex said:

With crypto it seems these high risk speculators also want to persuade other people who don’t understand the risks to put money in too. 

While I agree with your general point, what you are describing here is not specific to crypto but is rather how any wild speculative bubble works. The early 'investors' always need to rope in as many gullible or vulnerable rubes as possible to keep pumping the bubble up. 

The only major difference between this episode and the stock speculation of the 1920s is that the crypto bubble is without any solid foundations at all. It's just speculation all the way to the bottom of the market. 

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I'm not sure you understand what "the future" means in this context. Early cars were slower, more expensive and less reliable than horses.

This analogy would work, if the horses had been replaced by mid-21st century clean hydrogen vehicles at the same time as the Model T was being belched out onto the market. 

The problems of the old system have been (mostly) phased out without any need for cryptocurrency, which creates its own stack of inadequacies. 

Edited by vikingTON

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They're a marketing tool to lure people into buying more aren't they?

There may be people who get some for free and then decide they want more but it appears to not be so much driven at taking advantage of the drop recipient themselves quite so much as giving the recipients the incentive to help hype up the new coin/token. The free gift is after all only worth something if people start buying these things for real

Even if they don't actively promote it then simply by adding to the number of people holding it they could at least create an impression that this is a bigger than it is which is still better than nothing

Mister Python fell somewhere in between. He publicised the brand but didn't recommend it here. His contribution to the cause would still represent good value for money for the project owners given that they didn't have to pay him in real money as he swallowed the transaction cost of hiring him

When I launch the PieCoin (which will be pegged to the BovrilCoin (which will be backed by the PieCoin) ) I'll hand out free coins to anybody that gives this post a greenie

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

4 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
5 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I'm not sure you understand what "the future" means in this context. Early cars were slower, more expensive and less reliable than horses.

You've not seen some of the horses I've backed at Musselburgh!

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
4 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I hope you can get out of that barrel once you’ve finished scrapping the bottom of it…

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I've had to cancel my plan to launch the BovrilCoin as apparently someone beat me to it by 130 years
Image 1 - BOVRIL FARRINGDON LONDON PARIS TOKEN C1889 ADVERTISING

Pakistan got in first with the Pie too..

466-original.jpg

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Pakistan got in first with the Pie too..

466-original.jpg

They were worth 1/192 of a Pakistani Rupee which these days is about 1/400 of a cent or 1/500 of penny. 
Apparently there actually is a crypto PIECOIN which was launched in 2017 is, went to 4 cents (8 rupees) and  at time of writing, still notionally worth half a rupee 
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/piecoin/

Can someone rename this to the Bitcoin/cryptocurrency/Numismatics thread

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

I for one am disgusted by these coordinated attempts to lure people into buying gold coins 

(Feel free to airdrop me some gold bullion though)

gf.gif?resize=500,299

Wouldn't like to put you off your putting.

Watching my SIPP disappear today makes me want to buy into this crypto shit. Can't be any worse............Actually it can. My retirement fund is only 3% down today. Bitcoin is another 7% down to £17k.