Have I got Local News For You

Tryfield

Which is more than enough punted to f**k things right up when they're putting together 32-40 pages of a paper, two editions, five days a week.

The reporters spent days last week being trained how to write headlines. Not convinced it's been a success so far!

How difficult can it be to write a headline? All you have to do is make sure you don't exceed your character cou

Which is more than enough punted to f**k things right up when they're putting together 32-40 pages of a paper, two editions, five days a week.

The reporters spent days last week being trained how to write headlines. Not convinced it's been a success so far!

The Courier reporters have undergone the same training but the subs still have the final say on what goes in. I can't speak for the Tele but I'd have thought it was the same.

How difficult can it be to write a headline? All you have to do is make sure you don't exceed your character cou

There's writing a headline, then there's writing a good headline. Good headline writers are like gold dust and tend to end up at places like The Sun who could get by printing 20 pages of bang average stories but all with great headlines that will catch your eye/stick in your mind.

I once had a story published in the Sun about a couple caught having oral sex on a bus. The man was convicted but the woman, for some reason, was found not guilty. The Sun's headline was just brilliant-a massive full page with all caps at the top:

"BLEWDUNNIT"

Brilliant. Or "SuperCaleyGoBallisticCelticAreAtrocious". Kind of thing you can't teach, you just have that kind of mind or not!

The Courier reporters have undergone the same training but the subs still have the final say on what goes in. I can't speak for the Tele but I'd have thought it was the same.

Not sure, but for my money they're not as good as they were. Not a fan of the new Courier design either.

Bloody hell, he looks absolutely seething :lol: I sent it to this website - well worth a look: http://apiln.blogspot.co.uk/

There's writing a headline, then there's writing a good headline. Good headline writers are like gold dust and tend to end up at places like The Sun who could get by printing 20 pages of bang average stories but all with great headlines that will catch your eye/stick in your mind.

I once had a story published in the Sun about a couple caught having oral sex on a bus. The man was convicted but the woman, for some reason, was found not guilty. The Sun's headline was just brilliant-a massive full page with all caps at the top:

"BLEWDUNNIT"

Brilliant. Or "SuperCaleyGoBallisticCelticAreAtrocious". Kind of thing you can't teach, you just have that kind of mind or not!

The problem now is we're being told how to write web headlines and it's totally different. 15-20 words so we can cram as much info in to get it picked up by search engines etc.

Dominik Diamond used to do a radio show where you'd have to send in your headlines to topical news stories. One was about Fife's serial explorer/ money raiser Mark Beaumont cycling round the world. I won a prize for "Cyclist takes extreme measures to prove to fellow Fifers world is not flat". The prize was a second hand book. I did get to speak to the lovely Marissa De Andrade though.

Bloody hell, he looks absolutely seething :lol: I sent it to this website - well worth a look: http://apiln.blogspot.co.uk/

The problem now is we're being told how to write web headlines and it's totally different. 15-20 words so we can cram as much info in to get it picked up by search engines etc.

I wondered that about headlines on newspaper websites. Half the story seems to be in them now.

“They shouted over to ask him what he was doing and he said: ‘I’m trying to get in, it’s my hoose and I’ve no got my keys’.”

:lol:

That happened in Arbroath few years back, some bird put a Hoover on a boys boaby :lol:

Got the jail

Girl was my age. Seen her a few weeks back in asda. She can attack me with a Hoover anytime she wants tbh. :wub: