Scottish Independence

xbl

She was toe curling trying to copy the weak,weak,weak line from Tony Blair (v John Major I think )

Why did the first minister congratulate Eve Muirhead and her team but no other team GB medalists?

because he is the first minister of Scotland and they were Scottish athletes

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

because he is the first minister of Scotland and they were Scottish athletes

A bit petty and parochial is it not? They are in team GB. Not to even mention that or indeed congratulate the other British athletes is a sad state of affairs for him. I can't quite understand that mentality - it's as if no one else exists for him.

A bit petty and parochial is it not? They are in team GB. Not to even mention that or indeed congratulate the other British athletes is a sad state of affairs for him. I can't quite understand that mentality - it's as if no one else exists for him.

sorry don;t understand your point. Alex Salmond is Scottish First Minister, he is an MSP in the Scottish parliament. He has nothing to do with the British parliament so it is up to David Cameron to congratulate the other athletes if he wishes. As for your last part that is how it should be; he is stands up for Scotland and the Scottish people and that should always be his primary concern; that is the whole plus point of Independence that we will have Scottish people making decisions solely for the benefit of Scots, rather than primarily for the people of SE England

Whether anyone is happy with the conlibs or not doesn't really matter. The chances are they'll both be gone next year, while independence is forever. Maybe things would be better but I think there's an equal chance they would be worse and that's not a gamble I am personally willing to take.

Yeah, but if independence being forever is seen as a negative, then by inference you should never take the risk on leaving the Union, which means the Union is forever - so you end up with a permanent result either way, no? And the Union is a place where Scotland's voters are superflous to election results, so that the government, of either colour, feels no obligation to pay attention to, or reward Scotland. It's a place where the unique opportunities and challenges that Scotland has are simply ignored in favour of a London first economic strategy, practiced by both sides of the house of commons. There is no real arguments, no real options in Westminster - only another round of neo-liberal consensus: PMQs has been reduced to the spectacle of two millionaires arguing over how hard to kick the poor.

Independence at it's worst will be better than that, it's an opportunity to have a democracy accountable to Scottish voters, that takes into account Scottish opinions, demands and fears. Whatever comes out of it will be a very different beast, it's a chance to build the system to suit the people, not to have a malfunctioning elitist "democracy" where the head of state and the upper chamber are unelected.

Yeah, but if independence being forever is seen as a negative, then by inference you should never take the risk on leaving the Union, which means the Union is forever - so you end up with a permanent result either way, no? And the Union is a place where Scotland's voters are superflous to election results, so that the government, of either colour, feels no obligation to pay attention to, or reward Scotland. It's a place where the unique opportunities and challenges that Scotland has are simply ignored in favour of a London first economic strategy, practiced by both sides of the house of commons. There is no real arguments, no real options in Westminster - only another round of neo-liberal consensus: PMQs has been reduced to the spectacle of two millionaires arguing over how hard to kick the poor.

Independence at it's worst will be better than that, it's an opportunity to have a democracy accountable to Scottish voters, that takes into account Scottish opinions, demands and fears. Whatever comes out of it will be a very different beast, it's a chance to build the system to suit the people, not to have a malfunctioning elitist "democracy" where the head of state and the upper chamber are unelected.

And the NO's don't/can't see it.

Desperate stuff from you here.

I'm more bothered about wee things like having nuclear weapons transported through Glasgow.

Desperate stuff from you here.

I'm more bothered about wee things like having nuclear weapons transported through Glasgow.

This. If the NO camp are resorting to pissy arguments surrounding congratulating athletes then they are in danger of going through the bottom of the proverbial barrel.

This. If the NO camp are resorting to pissy arguments surrounding congratulating athletes then they are in danger of going through the bottom of the proverbial barrel.

The No camp aren't - it's a poster on a football forum.

Much more important to get excited about what ancient pop stars have to say about the referendum I think.

A poster from the NO camp seeing it as an issue though! :P

True, and people on the Yes side are burning david Bowie CDs - both are irrelevant to what the actual campaigns are doing

BOledE_CIAAc6DV.jpg

Not really sure what point you're making here.

True, and people on the Yes side are burning david Bowie CDs - both are irrelevant to what the actual campaigns are doing

Not really sure what point you're making here.

I know mate. ;) Surely the people burning CDs are just jesting though, if not then they seriously need to take a look at themselves. :lol:

Much more important to get excited about what ancient pop stars have to say about the referendum I think.

Ah is this the Bowie antics?

Fair cop, but none of these idiots from the yes camp who have burst blood vessels over his comments have spouted it on here as far as I know. If any do, you have my permission to pull them up about it without fear of reprisals.

Archived