Scottish Independence

xbl

No, we believe the media are lying, since the actual statements released by the businesses are nothing like the stuff that's been blasting out of the headlines and off the front pages over the last few days.

So when big retailers point to the fact that a lone Scotland will WITHOUT QUESTION lose the economies of scale enjoyed because of the population (numbers) in the UK and as such prices will rise, that is media spin?

Businesses saying they'll relocate, even if you believe it simply to be just registration, that's just spin too?

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So when big retailers point to the fact that a lone Scotland will WITHOUT QUESTION lose the economies of scale enjoyed because of the population (numbers) in the UK and as such prices will rise, that is media spin?

Businesses saying they'll relocate, even if you believe it simply to be just registration, that's just spin too?

I think you're confusing the interests of retailers with the interests of Scotland. You're not the first in this debate unfortunately.

Out of interest, how do Aldi and Lidl manage to keep their prices so low without enjoying anywhere near the economies of scale which Asda enjoy in the UK? (Hint: Aldi and Lidl operate throughout lots of different countries in Europe).

Also, why would Asda lose those economies of scale if Scotland become independent? Are they going to have to re-label all the peanut butter for export to Scotland?

:blink: Of what relevance is that to anything? Oh! Right I know..... Salmond and his mob including the sinister elements attached to it are fairly extreme.

Thanks for that

Strange that he hasn't answered the questions put to him and that he came out with that tripe. All the banks and businesses are in a conspiracy against Scotland? Really?

His answers are more erudite and fact-based than anything from the Wasteminster lot. As for banks? They are the conspiracy. Everyone on the planet is a means to an end for those devils.

Which economic reality exactly? No waffle please, just succinctly what is the reality that Salmond is ignoring and which I've missed?

Currency

National debt obligations to the UK.

Economies of scale

Business confidence

To name but a few

I think you're confusing the interests of retailers with the interests of Scotland. You're not the first in this debate unfortunately.

Out of interest, how do Aldi and Lidl manage to keep their prices so low without enjoying anywhere near the economies of scale which Asda enjoy in the UK? (Hint: Aldi and Lidl operate throughout lots of different countries in Europe).

Also, why would Asda lose those economies of scale if Scotland become independent? Are they going to have to re-label all the peanut butter for export to Scotland?

Quite simply because Scotland will become another country with less people than the UK. It's pretty basic stuff really.

Just back from Prestwick main street, where they had a Yes stall. One of the campaigners told me to hang about as Alex Salmond was due.

What an atmosphere! Absolutely jumping, total party atmosphere and I got a photo of the kids with Salmond.

Magic!

His answers are more erudite and fact-based than anything from the Wasteminster lot. As for banks? They are the conspiracy. Everyone on the planet is a means to an end for those devils.

If his answers are fact based you've misquoted him. He included more than banks in this SCAREMONGERING CONSPIRACY

Which economic reality exactly? No waffle please, just succinctly what is the reality that Salmond is ignoring and which I've missed?

He still believes in the subsidy myth at heart, I'd bet. Many do. When you get down to it, most of the other objections people bring up are smokescreens - the truth is they still think we're subsidized by the rUK. The Yes campaign should've beaten that ageing bit of black propganda into the ground by now, but I don't think they have. Pretty sure it's the only thing keeping the union in place. God knows, it's not love that preserves it.

Currency - we cannot be sure what currency will be used although there are several alternatives and none will result in Armageddon. The Westminster parties' statements on currency union reflect their desire to stop a Yes vote and completely ignore the benefits which a currency union would bring post independence. The only argument against currency union is that the Scottish government would not hold all the levers of economic power - that isn't an argument which impacts on the rest of the UK.

National debt obligations to the UK - Scotland will negotiate for retaining a currency union by agreeing to take on a proportionate share of the UK debt.

Economies of scale - these may be diminished for some retailers although purchasing tastes and patterns are unlikely to change significantly and therefore most of these economies will be unaffected (see Aldi & Lidl for an example of how successful EU wide economies can be).

Business confidence -some UK businesses will be adversely affected although this can be overstated since part of the benefit of independence will be that Scotland will be able to compete directly with the rest of the UK in creating a more favourable business environment.

To name but a few (to throw some headlines out there and hope that no one looks too closely)

Bit too succinct. Shall I guess what you're clumsily aiming at (in red)?

Think we've all got a decent handle on that. Which bit is Salmond lying about or which are we too dim to grasp?

Let's face it, the banks are nothing more than organised loan sharks.

Oh no! This MUST be scare mongering pish surely?!

Top Wall Street banks are planning to move from London to Dublin amid fears Britain will withdraw from the European Union.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/American-banks-to-relocate-to-Dublin-if-Britain-quits-European-Union.html

"Reports in the Irish Independent and Financial Times suggest that leading banks are already making plans to move some of their London-based operations to Ireland.

The reports list Citigroup Inc, Morgan Stanley and Bank of America Corp as among those considering Ireland as an alternative location for some of their European activities if they need to move them out of the UK."

See I always knew the FT were a bunch of lying, fear mongering spin monkeys!

Oh no! This MUST be scare mongering pish surely?!

Top Wall Street banks are planning to move from London to Dublin amid fears Britain will withdraw from the European Union.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/American-banks-to-relocate-to-Dublin-if-Britain-quits-European-Union.html

"Reports in the Irish Independent and Financial Times suggest that leading banks are already making plans to move some of their London-based operations to Ireland.

The reports list Citigroup Inc, Morgan Stanley and Bank of America Corp as among those considering Ireland as an alternative location for some of their European activities if they need to move them out of the UK."

See I always knew the FT were a bunch of lying, fear mongering spin monkeys!

Which is it? The sensationalist headline or the subsequent copy? They even managed to get the word 'fear' in the headline.

Anyone surprised that the conservative, London-based FT has suddenly started taking sides in the referendum, and that they're falling down on the side of the union?

Just back from Prestwick main street, where they had a Yes stall. One of the campaigners told me to hang about as Alex Salmond was due.

What an atmosphere! Absolutely jumping, total party atmosphere and I got a photo of the kids with Salmond.

Magic!

How fat is he in real life? Was that old wife of his there too?

Archived