Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

Oh what a tease, for a minute there I thought you were going to provide me with something interesting.

I should have known better.

Don't worry.

I have lower expectations of you - I never expected you to provide evidence, just a random claim.

So cleggy dave and ed are on there way up,makes you wonder about what the private polls are saying

Probably playing Rock Paper Scissors to decide which one of them takes the bullet that lets them call the referendum off.

Been in Germany for the last 4 days, shortened version of what's happened on here anyone?

The two traditionally No friendly pollsters started showing a dead heat between yes and No, Westminster, the BBC and Better together went into full panic meltdown mode.

You could probably, It doesn't take that much imagination.

You must admit it has been amusing to see Panelbase go from good guys to wanks and You Gov from untrustworthy chancers to important bellwealther in the space of a couple of weeks.

You must admit it has been amusing to see Panelbase go from good guys to wanks and You Gov from untrustworthy chancers to important bellwealther in the space of a couple of weeks.

Hasn't it just?

I've enjoyed it immensely.

Fact is that had TNS backed up Panelbase, the levels of panic (or engagement with the issue, if you like) probably wouldn't have been so acute.

I think YouGov have issues, and I maintain that. I posted some pages back on why I thought PB were largely invariant to changes in Yes support levels while YouGov might be over sensitive. Then TNS came out and sided with YG. We've probably got Survation tomorrow night, and it's been more variable than PB (though not as much as ICM) so that will give us a further idea of what is going on.

I'm in the 55+ group. Sadly I think this is the age group most easily frightened by the threats and unable/unwilling to look beyond the obvious. For example many in this age group will see the short-term impact on the exchange rate as something to be worried about and it will make their opinions all the more entrenched.

In general I think the older you get the less willing you are to change views without having a really good reason to do so.

I also think that a case could be made that younger voters are more inclined/willing to change their views because they perhaps have not had the life experience to be as cynical about the world as their elders.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Fact is that had TNS backed up Panelbase, the levels of panic (or engagement with the issue, if you like) probably wouldn't have been so acute.

I think YouGov have issues, and I maintain that. I posted some pages back on why I thought PB were largely invariant to changes in Yes support levels while YouGov might be over sensitive. Then TNS came out and sided with YG. We've probably got Survation tomorrow night, and it's been more variable than PB (though not as much as ICM) so that will give us a further idea of what is going on.

TNS still showing large numbers of Don't Knows/Did Not Answer though - I don't know how significant that is. Are they genuinely don't know, or people just refusing to say which way they'll vote, or just not voting?

TNS still showing large numbers of Don't Knows/Did Not Answer though - I don't know how significant that is. Are they genuinely don't know, or people just refusing to say which way they'll vote, or just not voting?

TNS are face to face. As a general rule, face to face canvassing and polling (look back at the RIC cnavass results, for example) show much larger numbers of DKs, I think people feel more uncomfortable in answering questions to an actual human being, whereas online polls both offer a larger degree of anonymity, while self selecting from politically engaged people who are probably less shy about answering questions anyway.