The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

9 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Sorry to hear about that SlipperyP, nowt more to add except my condolences. 

Well after last Friday's debacle of being drawn against (and losing to) WRK in the cup, I had low expectations going down to my local's pub quiz tonight. We're usually ousted by "The Googlers" and a team consisting of around 18 men with beards. 

Amazingly, for the first time in 6 years (admittedly I don't go every week, but I must have done the quiz nearly a hundred times) and thanks to some lucky questions and a poor turnout, we managed to win. 

Our prize?

Nothing.

They decided to "mix things up a bit" so instead, we got first dig at a "Play your Cards Right" - where the odds of winning are somewhat akin to winning the lottery. Need to get 8 guesses right in a row. First card, lower than a King ... Ace. Oot. 

And on that note, 4 out of 10 for the Aussie quiz. 

I was once part of a team disqualified from a pub quiz after being accused of using our phones to check answers. This was 8 or 9 years ago, so smartphones weren't quite everywhere at that point and as me and my flat mate both had a smartphone, that was considered proof that we won by cheating.

The pub in question was Driftwood, on Charing Cross. The rest of the quiz teams were pretty much entirely pissed up 18 year olds who looked like they would struggle to remember they had to breathe. My flatmate at the time was a pub quiz host amongst other things, and had an excellent grasp of general knowledge as a result. We were only in there because it was 69p a vodka and mixer.

I wasn't sure whether to be offended at the accusation or delighted that we scored massively more points than every other team there. I was not in the slightest ashamed at being a 25 year old in a pub full of 18/19 year olds who were out their faces.

33 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I was once part of a team disqualified from a pub quiz after being accused of using our phones to check answers. This was 8 or 9 years ago, so smartphones weren't quite everywhere at that point and as me and my flat mate both had a smartphone, that was considered proof that we won by cheating.

The pub in question was Driftwood, on Charing Cross. The rest of the quiz teams were pretty much entirely pissed up 18 year olds who looked like they would struggle to remember they had to breathe. My flatmate at the time was a pub quiz host amongst other things, and had an excellent grasp of general knowledge as a result. We were only in there because it was 69p a vodka and mixer.

I wasn't sure whether to be offended at the accusation or delighted that we scored massively more points than every other team there. I was not in the slightest ashamed at being a 25 year old in a pub full of 18/19 year olds who were out their faces.

Chortle. A slightly similar tale about the only time I ever cheated at a pub quiz....

When I was in halls, a big group of us occasionally went down to the pub quiz at the Aragon on Byres Road on a Monday night. We never won (I've an inkling we might have even thrown the quiz once we knew we couldn't win in order to win the booby prize of a packet of nuts). I'm not sure how, but I learned that the same quiz was hosted by a different person in Hubbard's on Great Western Road, a week on Sunday after. 

So one Sunday, I sneaked off down to Hubbards (on my own, I wasn't sharing the prize with anyone), sat at the bar, bought a Coke and got nearly full marks in the quiz (I could have got full marks but I got a couple wrong to make it look good). This was long before the days of smart phones, and the bar-staff could see I wasn't receiving any outside help, so thankfully there could be no accusations of cheating and I was handed my prize (a litre of cheap vodka) with good grace. 

I only pulled this trick twice but it paid off and nobody ever twigged. I'd like to think they still talk about that the scrawny, speccy student with nae pals who aced the pub quiz two weeks in a row, only to disappear and never be seen again. 

5 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Chortle. A slightly similar tale about the only time I ever cheated at a pub quiz....

When I was in halls, a big group of us occasionally went down to the pub quiz at the Aragon on Byres Road on a Monday night. We never won (I've an inkling we might have even thrown the quiz once we knew we couldn't win in order to win the booby prize of a packet of nuts). I'm not sure how, but I learned that the same quiz was hosted by a different person in Hubbard's on Great Western Road, a week on Sunday after. 

So one Sunday, I sneaked off down to Hubbards (on my own, I wasn't sharing the prize with anyone), sat at the bar, bought a Coke and got nearly full marks in the quiz (I could have got full marks but I got a couple wrong to make it look good). This was long before the days of smart phones, and the bar-staff could see I wasn't receiving any outside help, so thankfully there could be no accusations of cheating and I was handed my prize (a litre of cheap vodka) with good grace. 

I only pulled this trick twice but it paid off and nobody ever twigged. I'd like to think they still talk about that the scrawny, speccy student with nae pals who aced the pub quiz two weeks in a row, only to disappear and never be seen again. 

There was a similar set up with the guys who done the pub quiz in the pub Nude, on Ashton Lane, in that they also done the quiz in a few other pubs in Glasgow on different nights. I never got round to going to any of the others(Nude was £1 a drink on whatever night it was the quiz was hosted, which was my principle reason for drinking there that night, Seems there was an obvious pattern in my choice of watering hole) but it seems amateurish if they do one quiz and use it several times. My aforementioned flatmate done a couple of pubs per week but had built up a large back catalogue of quizzes and would never use the same one in more than one pub without a sizeable gap in time in between.

Morning folks. Well here are the results from the first round of the Diddly Dee Jamjar Trophy. Marr1, Audaces Fortuna Juvat and Scotfree failed to post a score and so allowed walkovers for AlanG, Jackgranda and myself.

Peasie (4+5) 9 - 11 TYNIENESS

Dee62 (5+5) 10 - 10 (4+6)The_Kincardine  (replay on 05/02)

Cardinal Richelieu 10 - 13 (6+7) WHITEROSEKILLIE

Ross (3+4) 7 - 12 (7+5) DEEJ

Bullyweevilla (5+4) 9 - 10 (5+5) SUPERMIK

ALANG (6+6) 12 - 0 Marr1

FrankieS (6+6) 12 - 12 (6+6) Leeds Saint (replay 05/02)

Cowden0 (5+4) 9 - 10 (5+5) WILLIEA

WELSH BAIRN (5+5) 10 - 8 (3+5) LiviLion

BIGBO10 (6+3) 9 - 7 (3+4) SlipperyP

DEEMAN (3+4) 7 - 4 (4+0) Dieharddoonhamer

Edmund (5+6) 11 - 13 (7+6) ARABDOWNUNDER

GMan1985 (6+3) 9 - 12 (5+7) JAGFOX99

JACKSGRANDA (6+5) 11 - 0 Audaces Fortuna Juvat

ECKTHEARAB (4+5) 9 - 0 Scotfree

BLACKISLEKILLIE (4+6) 10 - 7 (4+3) Swarley

Winners are in Block capitals and the 2 to be replayed will have their question posted about 6pm today. Congrats to those who progress and commiserations to those left to concentrate on the league.

5/10 to start the week :whistle

Educated guesses on Earthquake affected country and Name of Capital city. Flunked TV protagonist and knew where you wear spats and writer of The Prince.

Went wrong way on Tanzania and Hollie founder on a 50/50 :(

Sorry to read your sad news @SlipperyP

1 hour ago, gkneil said:

7/10, a score worth posting for a change

Ah come now, if teams only posted their scores when they did well, we'd only have about 6 teams in the league! Just take the quiz and post your score each day, even when it's shite :)

Anyway, with most sides posting their scores, here's the league. A slight bit of shame on my part, whereby my trophy cabinet last week was bursting with "2nd place wins", none of which I've ever had. I've now rectified this. Let me know if there's any other mistakes in there. 

Position Team Trophy Cabinet Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Total
1 Edmund 4x② 1xBZ 8         8
2 Frankie S 1x© 1x② 8         8
3 Eckthearab 5x② 1xBZ 7         7
4 WhiteRoseKillie 10x© 3x② 6         6
5 The_Kincardine   6         6
6 Leeds Saint 1x© 2x② 6         6
7 Welshbairn   5         5
8 WILLIEA 1x© 5         5
9 Blackislekillie 2xBZ 5         5
10 Jagfox99 4x② 1xBZ 5         5
11 Alang1993 5x© 3x② 1xBZ 3         3
12 Deej 4x② 1xBZ           0
13 Audaces Fortuna Juvat             0
14 Scotfree             0

1 Tynieness 1x② 1xBZ 9         9
2 Arabdownunder 3x© 1x② 8         8
3 gkneil   7         7
4 Peasy23   6         6
5 Cowden0   5         5
6 Supermik   5         5
7 Bully Wee Villa 1x© 5         5
8 Ross.   5         5
9 Livi Lion   4         4
10 Jacksgranda   4         4
11 Dee Man   4         4
12 Swarley   3         3
13 Cardinal Richelieu 1xBZ 3         3
14 Dee_62   3         3
15 BigBo10   2         2
16 Die Hard Doonhamer   2         2
17 SlipperyP   2         2
18 Gman_1985             0
19 Marr1             0

Nowt to add, except that with the surfeit of top quizzers, I'm destined to be a Beazer Man forever more :(

50 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Ah come now, if teams only posted their scores when they did well, we'd only have about 6 teams in the league! Just take the quiz and post your score each day, even when it's shite :)

Anyway, with most sides posting their scores, here's the league. A slight bit of shame on my part, whereby my trophy cabinet last week was bursting with "2nd place wins", none of which I've ever had. I've now rectified this. Let me know if there's any other mistakes in there. 

1 Edmund 4x② 1xBZ 8         8
2 Frankie S 1x© 1x② 8         8
3 Eckthearab 5x② 1xBZ 7         7
4 WhiteRoseKillie 10x© 3x② 6         6
5 The_Kincardine   6         6
6 Leeds Saint 1x© 2x② 6         6
7 Welshbairn   5         5
8 WILLIEA 1x© 5         5
9 Blackislekillie 2xBZ 5         5
10 Jagfox99 4x② 1xBZ 5         5
11 Alang1993 5x© 3x② 1xBZ 3         3
12 Deej 4x② 1xBZ           0
13 Audaces Fortuna Juvat             0
14 Scotfree             0

1 Tynieness 1x② 1xBZ 9         9
2 Arabdownunder 3x© 1x② 8         8
3 gkneil   7         7
4 Peasy23   6         6
5 Cowden0   5         5
6 Supermik   5         5
7 Bully Wee Villa 1x© 5         5
8 Ross.   5         5
9 Livi Lion   4         4
10 Jacksgranda   4         4
11 Dee Man   4         4
12 Swarley   3         3
13 Cardinal Richelieu 1xBZ 3         3
14 Dee_62   3         3
15 BigBo10   2         2
16 Die Hard Doonhamer   2         2
17 SlipperyP   2         2
18 Gman_1985             0
19 Marr1             0

Nowt to add, except that with the surfeit of top quizzers, I'm destined to be a Beazer Man forever more :(

You've mislaid all my honours...:whistle

(And I've re-posted the league tables just to confuse things.)