The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Re the 'Chicle' question on today's quiz...is it only we auld c***s who call pieces of sugar coated chewing gum 'chiclets'?  I thought that question was a free point.

Must be an auld c*nt thing, I've never heard that.

Every question is a free point, if you know the answer

Re the 'Chicle' question on today's quiz...is it only we auld c***s who call pieces of sugar coated chewing gum 'chiclets'?  I thought that question was a free point.

Also, if you're not as old a fart but know your Spanish, it's a free point too!

13 minutes ago, eckthearab said:

I'm no that young and I'm not that old but I've never heard of 'chiclets' emoji848.png

13 minutes ago, deej said:

Must be an auld c*nt thing, I've never heard that.

Whenever I use a word or expression my kids have never heard of they ask me some variation of, "Dad, is that a Scottish word or just an old people's one?"  They do know 'chiclet' though.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Whenever I use a word or expression my kids have never heard of they ask me some variation of, "Dad, is that a Scottish word or just an old people's one?"  They do know 'chiclet' though.

Must be a home counties thing, I'm fucking ancient and never heard of it.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I'm more ancienter than you and T_K, and I've never heard of it. Still got it right, though! :whistle

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm more ancienter than you and T_K, and I've never heard of it. Still got it right, though! :whistle

I went for glasses thinking it might be a variant of tortoise shell or something. Old man's associations.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No...I remember the first time I heard it was my older cousin (from Airdrie) having a wee packet of PK chewing gum and asking me if I wanted a chiclet...and that was probably in the late 60s.  I should take this to the Blast from the Past thread.

pk.JPG.53b00abf4c1d0c970d42cb3e7ca43b3c.JPG

Well gents, given that half the ties are completed and there's not many scores left to come I reckon a wee round up is in order.

As mentioned earlier today the ties have been as close as I expected with not much between most of the pairings. So, first up

The_Kincardine v Livilion
Livi struggling to get to grips in this match, everything seemed to go wrong. Kincy on the other hand came flying out of the traps and raced into a 6-3 lead at half time. Not much change second half and Kincy eased off slightly knowing the hard work was done.
The_Kincardine (6+5) 11 v 6 (3+3) Livilion

Alang1993 v LeedsSaint
Cracking game here with the winner taking it by a baw hair. Both came out all guns blazing giving little thought about defence. Nothing between the sides at half time, 5-5. No change second half with both sides still going for it. Both obviously keen to avoid the replay and left the back door open. Into the last minute and one team wanted it slightly more and managed to nick it before the whistle.
Alang1993 (5+5) 10 v 11 (5+6) LeedsSaint

Dee62v Eednud
Another tight match with nothing in it. Eednuds finishing slightly better than Dee's at half time as he took a 5-4 lead into the second half. Dee came out strong in the second half and pegged Eednud back several times. Second half was tied at 5-5 going into the latter stages of the match but unfortunately Dee62 couldn't find the point needed to take it to a replay.
Dee62 (4+5) 9 v 10 (5+5) Eednud

Gman1985 v Welahbairn
Another tie where it was all out attack. First half see-sawed from end to end and not many chances were missed. Welshie managed to Nick a half time lead just on the whistle. No change second half and GMan tried valiantly to get back on level terms. This left the door open for Welshie on the break and despite Gmans best efforts it wasn't to be.
Gman1985 (5+5) 10 v 12 (6+6) Weslhbairn

As I said only a few scores still to come in so I'll be back with another update fairly soon I reckon.

25 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Dam, was well chuffed in my score. Not to be.

Well done Welshie

Wow! Pain of promotion hopes being demolished evaporated. Hard lines, my best ever score in the Cup.

39 minutes ago, eckthearab said:

The_Kincardine v Livilion
Livi struggling to get to grips in this match, everything seemed to go wrong. Kincy on the other hand came flying out of the traps and raced into a 6-3 lead at half time. Not much change second half and Kincy eased off slightly knowing the hard work was done.
The_Kincardine (6+5) 11 v 6 (3+3) Livilion

Hard lines, @LiviLionBet you prefer the Chick Lit to the Chiclet ;)

No...I remember the first time I heard it was my older cousin (from Airdrie) having a wee packet of PK chewing gum and asking me if I wanted a chiclet...and that was probably in the late 60s.  I should take this to the Blast from the Past thread.

pk.JPG.53b00abf4c1d0c970d42cb3e7ca43b3c.JPG

PK! Now that is a blast from the past. I remember getting a packet of that every Saturday morning in the wee shop that was across from the old Kilmarnock Baths after a swim. The shop had a tin advertising board for Beech Nut gum as well. I've never heard gum referred to as chiclets though, and I'm bordering on oldcunthood.

20 minutes ago, blackislekillie said:

PK! Now that is a blast from the past. I remember getting a packet of that every Saturday morning in the wee shop that was across from the old Kilmarnock Baths after a swim. 

The PK 'chiclets' used to wrapped in silver foil with a paper band wrapped round it.  

A quarter of midget gems used to be our post-baths sweetie of choice, though.

Edited by The_Kincardine