The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

If that's the sort of scores you get when you're distracted by a cyclone I wouldn't mind one battering my house...

Instead of taking 10 mins to sit and mull over a question I didn't know, I just went "f**k it, that one will do".   

8 hours ago, scotfree said:

Instead of taking 10 mins to sit and mull over a question I didn't know, I just went "f**k it, that one will do".   

This is the category I fall into - On realising it's an Aussie question, my concentration goes and I seem to go into random select mode - As I pressed my answer on that sports question, I couldn't have told you what the other 3 options were or even what the full name of the team was.  Likewise the political one.
30 seconds after seeing my score, I couldn't have even told you what my answers had been.  I'm becoming more convinced that there's only about 20 Aussie questions, I just never read through them or pay enough attention to the answers to be able to learn from my mistakes. 

Hadn't realised which question was contentious. No surprise that it was the distance one though. Got it wrong at the time and didn't think anything of it. Was just a guess. Can't remember what I put now.

Calculating lengths of things and distances between things is frequently contentious. The most controversial question I can remember hearing at a quiz was 'In order, list the 10 countries of the world with the longest coastlines.' The first query from the floor was, 'Does that include dependencies, constituent countries and other territories?' The poor QM clearly wasn't sure and spluttered a nervous 'yes', but when the answers were revealed, Denmark wasn't in there. And of course, with the inclusion of Greenland, it should have been. Setting aside the fact that calculating the length of a coastline, any coastline, is a highly subjective business, an exercise in fractal geometry that would have tested Mandelbrot himself, it was clearly a duff question. It didn't help that the question was set to a field of top class quizzers including more than one Egghead and the (then) World Quiz Champion. And to compound everything, the round was a wipeout round, so if you got one wrong you got no points at all. So all the best teams crashed and burned and the teams who were clearly none the wiser after the 'dependent territories and constituent countries' clarification prospered. Who'd be a quiz setter?

We went with the answer on the card then, even if it provoked much grumbling. The default rule is 'the question master is always right', even if he is patently wrong.

Edited by Frankie S

Just now, irvine_buddie said:

I've been doing this quiz for a few weeks now and seem to consistently get 4, a few 3s and a few 5s but usually bang on 4. Tend to know 2 and guess 2.. if I ever hit 6 I'll be delighted :thumsup2

That's about average for this quiz! You'd nestle yourself very comfortably in mid-table mediocrity position! If you want to post your scores for the week, I'll add you to the league. Eckthearab might even be able to squeeze you into the cup if you'd like!

3 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

This must be the friendliest thread on P&B. There should be some sort of nobel prize for this!

According to Kincardine, the Pregnancy + Childbirth thread is even friendlier, but I reckon it might be a bit weird posting in there if you don't have children or a pregnant missus!

This must be the friendliest thread on P&B. There should be some sort of nobel prize for this!

We can be right nasty b*****ds at times though, if you take the quiz first and don't post a link.

51 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

That's about average for this quiz! You'd nestle yourself very comfortably in mid-table mediocrity position! If you want to post your scores for the week, I'll add you to the league. Eckthearab might even be able to squeeze you into the cup if you'd like!

Cheers I'll start from Monday 8). Actually got a 6 in todays one after just saying I never do.. but that was including getting the dubious Australia to Fiji one correct so dunno if that would have counted.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

An oasis of calm and good manners in an, at times, troubled P&B forum.  I like it...bigly. 

And so here it is, the new months Diddly Dee Jamjar Trophy first round. And such is the clamour to join the friendliest league in the land I'm gonna have to rejig the draw. The best and most fair way I can do this is to drop myself out of this months cup an allow Irvine_Buddie entry in my place. So instead of going through the whole draw again which means lots of typing on my predictive text mad phone, I will just say to Irvine_Buddie, you are up against Dee62. Anyone needing a reminder of their opponent then please refer back to the draw or ask when PMing your scores. So now to refresh the rules for the new player/s. 2 quizzes of 7 questions. PM your scores for both ie. 3+4, to me no later than 9am Monday morning.
And so its that time, let's crack on with th quiz

http://www.quizwise.com/general-knowledge-quiz/2017-02-19
http://www.quizwise.com/general-knowledge-quiz/2017-02-28

3 minutes ago, eckthearab said:

And so here it is, the new months Diddly Dee Jamjar Trophy first round. And such is the clamour to join the friendliest league in the land I'm gonna have to rejig the draw. The best and most fair way I can do this is to drop myself out of this months cup an allow Irvine_Buddie entry in my place. So instead of going through the whole draw again which means lots of typing on my predictive text mad phone, I will just say to Irvine_Buddie, you are up against Dee62. Anyone needing a reminder of their opponent then please refer back to the draw or ask when PMing your scores. So now to refresh the rules for the new player/s. 2 quizzes of 7 questions. PM your scores for both ie. 3+4, to me no later than 9am Monday morning.
And so its that time, let's crack on with th quiz

http://www.quizwise.com/general-knowledge-quiz/2017-02-19
http://www.quizwise.com/general-knowledge-quiz/2017-02-28

would have been happy with a 3-way if you want to keep yourself in?