The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Sorry I'm late, chaps. Not worth the wait, in all honesty. Five for Thursday, and a honking four for Friday. Bah.

The East Swaringshire dressing room are thinking this cup tie is coming at the right time. Fast forward to a 10-0 hounding!

Friday - 3, knew 1. Edit to add; I got the controversial question wrong so if everyone is getting an extra point then I'm up to 4.[emoji6]

We chose to do the Aussie quiz so the convict ref is always right. No exceptions. People who knew the real world answer should have predicted that the Aussies would have got it wrong. They're probably doing the quiz half cut from an Earls Court doss house anyway.

Agreed.
Rule one - the question master is always right.
Rule two - if the question master is wrong, see rule one.

(No idea what I put, btw -not that it matters)

Aye, I think the consensus is that the Australian is right, even if they're wrong. Let's be honest, when we agreed to continue with the Convict Quiz (hat tip to Welshbairn), we have to abide by their silly questions and lackadaiscal checking of facts. 

And as I said, it's a bollocks question anyway ... who knows what mounds of rock each country lays claim to. No mention of mainlands in the question. 

So I'll go with option 1 which also means I don't have to sift through teams' posts deciphering whether they should get the extra point or not. AFJ won't be happy, but like Linfield - he should be happy with second place. 

If you google shortest distance between USA or Canada or India and Fiji they all come up with a starting point that is nowhere near the coast but well inland. Despite that it's my fourth 5/10 of the week with the Fiji one wrong. Knew Sunshine Coast, Egypt flag & Liberia. Guessed author and PMs.

14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

If that's the sort of scores you get when you're distracted by a cyclone I wouldn't mind one battering my house...

Instead of taking 10 mins to sit and mull over a question I didn't know, I just went "f**k it, that one will do".   

8 hours ago, scotfree said:

Instead of taking 10 mins to sit and mull over a question I didn't know, I just went "f**k it, that one will do".   

This is the category I fall into - On realising it's an Aussie question, my concentration goes and I seem to go into random select mode - As I pressed my answer on that sports question, I couldn't have told you what the other 3 options were or even what the full name of the team was.  Likewise the political one.
30 seconds after seeing my score, I couldn't have even told you what my answers had been.  I'm becoming more convinced that there's only about 20 Aussie questions, I just never read through them or pay enough attention to the answers to be able to learn from my mistakes. 

Hadn't realised which question was contentious. No surprise that it was the distance one though. Got it wrong at the time and didn't think anything of it. Was just a guess. Can't remember what I put now.

Calculating lengths of things and distances between things is frequently contentious. The most controversial question I can remember hearing at a quiz was 'In order, list the 10 countries of the world with the longest coastlines.' The first query from the floor was, 'Does that include dependencies, constituent countries and other territories?' The poor QM clearly wasn't sure and spluttered a nervous 'yes', but when the answers were revealed, Denmark wasn't in there. And of course, with the inclusion of Greenland, it should have been. Setting aside the fact that calculating the length of a coastline, any coastline, is a highly subjective business, an exercise in fractal geometry that would have tested Mandelbrot himself, it was clearly a duff question. It didn't help that the question was set to a field of top class quizzers including more than one Egghead and the (then) World Quiz Champion. And to compound everything, the round was a wipeout round, so if you got one wrong you got no points at all. So all the best teams crashed and burned and the teams who were clearly none the wiser after the 'dependent territories and constituent countries' clarification prospered. Who'd be a quiz setter?

We went with the answer on the card then, even if it provoked much grumbling. The default rule is 'the question master is always right', even if he is patently wrong.

Edited by Frankie S

Just now, irvine_buddie said:

I've been doing this quiz for a few weeks now and seem to consistently get 4, a few 3s and a few 5s but usually bang on 4. Tend to know 2 and guess 2.. if I ever hit 6 I'll be delighted :thumsup2

That's about average for this quiz! You'd nestle yourself very comfortably in mid-table mediocrity position! If you want to post your scores for the week, I'll add you to the league. Eckthearab might even be able to squeeze you into the cup if you'd like!