The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

9 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Right, see the chemical formula Q, they're using the trivial name, acetylene. Would it help if the used the IUPAC name , ethyne?

Unless the rules have changed since I was a lad, acetylene is one of the acceptable trivial names for organic nomenclature (as are acetic acid, benzene, formaldehyde etc.) based on the eminently sensible rule that these names are in common circulation and using the systematic nomenclature would sound a bit nobbish, confuse everyone and reduce the overall sexiness of Chemistry.  And they would in general take to long to say and therefore reduce available time for coffee breaks.  Mind you, they seem to have discovered 10 more elements since I was a lad, so anythings possible ....

8 for Tuesday.  Venezuelans and French Cyclists can go rearrange their test tubes.

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Right, see the chemical formula Q, they're using the trivial name, acetylene. Would it help if the used the IUPAC name , ethyne?

2 hours ago, Helpma said:

Unless the rules have changed since I was a lad, acetylene is one of the acceptable trivial names for organic nomenclature (as are acetic acid, benzene, formaldehyde etc.) based on the eminently sensible rule that these names are in common circulation and using the systematic nomenclature would sound a bit nobbish, confuse everyone and reduce the overall sexiness of Chemistry.  And they would in general take to long to say and therefore reduce available time for coffee breaks.  Mind you, they seem to have discovered 10 more elements since I was a lad, so anythings possible ....

8 for Tuesday.  Venezuelans and French Cyclists can go rearrange their test tubes.

image.gif.23641dc3990aebd1876b816685533335.gif

4 minutes ago, The Captain said:

6 for Tuesday hardly inspiring. 

You've been summoned to the Officers HQ, bring the "holiday" photos with you. 

You have missed 1 playoff and a whole week, without a peep from you.  Where were you with no Wifi, fucking Filey Caraven Park????