The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Aye, giving you a half mark for Clarissa was a bit generous, but then again, doesn't really affect the outcome! Take solace from that fact that you got the  ‘Y Gemau Newyn’ question right and WRK didn't!

Here's your trophy. It's actually nicer than the winner's trophy!

FTFY

346711b0f591030575dd4831b89e66e0.jpg

15 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

So what was agreed regarding a new league setup?

Well I lost track of the acronyms given to 1st & 2nd places! But I think we / I agreed top league of 14, everyone else in the bottom tier. Promotion is 2 up 2 down, plus a play-off between 3rd bottom and 3rd, 4th and 5th. The draw for the league will be completely random, but obviously will settle down after week 1. 

Will continue to award stars for coming 1st or 2nd (in either league) but going to ditch the black star. The person bottom of the lower league each week will certainly be mentioned, but they won't have a permanent mark against their name!

13 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Can you put the answers back on again please? The Welsh language film is annoying me...

Aye, looking at it again, I've no idea how Dee_62 managed to do it!

4 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

346711b0f591030575dd4831b89e66e0.jpg

I like it Dee! I think I might ask you to do one next month (assuming you're not the runner-up again). 

Just had a thought .. I leave my current job on Wednesday (not getting my jotters, nobody grassed me up!).. I should manage to rattle the league table together on Thu and Fri. Not sure what my new work will be like for creating league tables, but since the league tables almost look like work it should be okay. 

Also, I'm in Canada over Christmas and doubt whether I'll be able to do any league tables then..

Aye, looking at it again, I've no idea how Dee_62 managed to do it!

Haha. Pure guesswork. (No Welsh speakers in my house) Had in my head y is "the" (it might not be) and when reading the second word it sounded like an English word. No idea on the third word or the date of the film

If only my guesswork was as reliable with the other questions, I may have challenged a bit more! Although, I'm kind of hopeful I got the French film title correct! Trying to work out where I got my 9 marks. I think they were mainly at the front end of the quiz.

And before we confuse things with tomorrow's league quiz.. here's the answers!

1. Which board game means "I play" in Latin? Ludo
  2. In the ‘Star Trek’ media franchise, what was Captain Kirk’s middle name? Tiberius
  3. Which Canadian province is named after one of the daughters of Queen Victoria? Albania
  4. Who is attributed with the origin of the quotation “A week is a long time in politics”? Harold Wilson
  5. Which fictional detective resided in St Mary Mead? Miss Marple
  6. Lordi won the 2006 Eurovision Song Content with the song "Hard Rock Hallelujah". From which country did they hail? Finland
  7. The lowest caste of a hierarchical society, what is the antonym of the ‘alpha male’? Omega Male
  8. In 1984, Mrs. Snowball, a grandmother from Gateshead, became the world’s first what? First online shopper apparently. Here's the story.
  9. Who was the Greek god of marriage ceremonies, who gave his name to an anatomical term? Hymen / Hymenaeus
  10. On a dartboard, what number is directly opposite eleven? 6
  11. What drink was conceived after a group of American passengers disembarked at a County Limerick airport on a miserable winter evening in the 1940s? Irish Coffee

Set of 3 ... All answers contain a capital city within the answer...

• What is the surname of Sergio, who became Italian rugby captain in 2011? Parisse
  • By what chemical process does a solid turn into a gas without going through a liquid phase? Sublimation
  • With a name that is Spanish for ‘the wolves’, which US band topped the charts with a cover of ‘La Bamba’ in 1987? Los Lobos

Set of 3 ... Film titles in foreign languages

• Which 1975 film became ‘Les Dents de la Mer’ in France? Jaws
  • ‘Hennen Rennen’ in German – what was it called in English? Chicken Run
  • What 2012 film would be called ‘Y Gemau Newyn’ in Welsh? The Hunger Games

Set of 3 - Hyphenated surnames. Full names required!

• Which son of a former ‘Times’ editor became MP for North-East Somerset in 2010? Jacob Rees-Mogg
  • An accredited cricket umpire and former barrister, she formed a tv partnership with Jennifer Paterson. She died in 2014. Who was she? Clarissa Dickson-Wright
  • Who was the first Prime Minister of Israel? David Ben Gurion

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Also, I'm in Canada over Christmas and doubt whether I'll be able to do any league tables then..

Does that mean a mid winter break for the league?

We can all go and play friendlies in China and Dubai?

Time to forget about the Cup and concentrate on the last league campaign before deconstruction. So here is Monday's quiz on a sunny Monday morning in Adelaide where it's 17.4c at 07:50 heading for a top of 29. My top today was a pleasing 8/10 as only knew 3 (King Arthur, rollmops and Beatles song. Wrong guesses for ecchymosis and Venus.  http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/mind-games/quiz?quizId=5633&sectionId=1