Things that annoy or delight you on the telly right now

welshbairn

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I've been watching through Frasier and I've thought about it a lot. 

Frasier couldn't have afforded his lavish lifestyle on a radio presenters salary.
Roz Doyle aged like a fine wine. She was properly hot around the 7th season onwards.
The ending kinda sucked. They binned the Lana story arc too quickly. She should have come back in for Season 11 instead of Charlotte.
Any episode that features any one of Daphne's family is atrocious and can be skipped.

In all honesty, I struggle to think of any sitcom that was as good. I'm a fan of many others but none has this magic combination of word play, situations, slapstick, class fun and genuinely likeable characters. 

It's also extremely quotable, though that isn't done much here compared to other shows. One of my favourite lines at the end of this wee clip 

There are some great lines.
The episode with Michael Keaton is one of my favourites. "Charm is the viscous grease with which he oils his flim-flam machine.”

The scene from the 'Lifetime Achievement Award' episode with Odo from Star Trek is a classic.

It's testament to Kelsey Grammer's acting ability that it's almost impossible to tell he was dealing with a severe addiction problem throughout the series.

14 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I've been watching through Frasier and I've thought about it a lot. 

Frasier couldn't have afforded his lavish lifestyle on a radio presenters salary.
Roz Doyle aged like a fine wine. She was properly hot around the 7th season onwards.
The ending kinda sucked. They binned the Lana story arc too quickly. She should have come back in for Season 11 instead of Charlotte.
Any episode that features any one of Daphne's family is atrocious and can be skipped.

Bebe turned up once a series to get him a massive payrise. Plus whatever money had saved from Boston.

Lana was absolutely loathsome. 

10 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Interesting. Jean Smart did win 2 consecutive Emmys for that role.

I'm absolutely gone at discovering this. She was horrible and he should have binned her after about five minutes.

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm absolutely gone at discovering this. She was horrible and he should have binned her after about five minutes.

I agree. Normally love everything she is in but her character was awful here. 

David Hyde Pierce had some tremendous moments of slapstick throughout the series, the episode opener where he faints and sets fire to his trousers is a favourite. 

I also love one really subtle joke in the episode where he and Daphne are canoodling at the piano. She's sitting on his lap and when the doorbell goes he just looks at her and says "um, can you get that?"

26 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I agree. Normally love everything she is in but her character was awful here. 

In fairness her character was brash and unlikeable to provide a contrast to Claire who was the perfect sherry-loving, haiku-composing, Kierkegaard-obsessed woman for Frasier.

I just finished the whole series of Those About to Die, so you don't have to. Utter garbage and proof that Anthony Hopkins has lost the plot by appearing in it. Although, to his credit, he seems to realise his mistake and fucks off early. He only 're-appears in a flash back later.

One of the worst things I've ever seen.

On 27/07/2024 at 16:13, Arch Stanton said:

David Hyde Pierce had some tremendous moments of slapstick throughout the series, the episode opener where he faints and sets fire to his trousers is a favourite. 

I also love one really subtle joke in the episode where he and Daphne are canoodling at the piano. She's sitting on his lap and when the doorbell goes he just looks at her and says "um, can you get that?"

Him and Kelsey as Bob and Cecil in the Simpsons is just complete perfection in a casting sense, dont think there's a single bad Simpsons episode that contains either of them (granted DHP only appeared in a few) 

On 01/08/2024 at 19:46, 54_and_counting said:

Him and Kelsey as Bob and Cecil in the Simpsons is just complete perfection in a casting sense, dont think there's a single bad Simpsons episode that contains either of them (granted DHP only appeared in a few) 

Capital knockers madam!

On 01/08/2024 at 19:46, 54_and_counting said:

There's a later episode where John Mahoney appears as Robert Terwilliger, Sr.

It's a shame they didn't get Rita Wilson to play Bob's mum too

20 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

That gag was only meant to be one rake but the writers couldn't fill the full run time, so they extended that scene and it is utterly glorious 

The next scene where Marge and Homer are talking and you still hear his reaction cracks me up every time.