Malaysia Airlines flight MH370

A mixture of shock, relief and a tv camera in your face could make a few nice enough people look like dicks.

I'm not sure, he has very detectable dickish aura about him, doesn't look like he's in shock at all.

And let's face it, decent people don't need to buy a wife. :lol:

Looks like Malaysian Airlines are playing it safe today, flying south of Ukraine, just heading for Crimean airspace at the mo.

http://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/MAS17

That website describes yesterday's flight as "result unknown". The TV pictures show a definite result imo.

Sorry if a bit morbid, but how come the pile of passports shown in some papers this morning weren't even slightly charred?

Doesn't take a huge explosion to down an aircraft, and bits fly everywhere on the way down. Many bodies and passports would have landed well away from the fuel tanks.

Sorry if a bit morbid, but how come the pile of passports shown in some papers this morning weren't even slightly charred?

Because the bodies weren't charred.

An anti-aircraft missile doesn't just go up like a bomb, they can be the kind that target engines, which on civilian airliners are out on the wings and away from the passengers. Or they can be radar missiles which will home in on the fuselage but most missiles use proximity fuses which send out a cloud of shrapnel that shreds the plane. The Sea Dart missile the Navy used in the Falklands went off in front of the target and released a massive steel net which the plane flew into and shredded itself.

So the airliner wasn't destroyed by a big flash bang explosion. Big holes were knocked in it and/or big pieces sliced off. The big bits with fuel in them went bang and burned when they hit the ground but debris was spread over a large area (like Lockerbie) making it easy to collect the passports from the hand luggage.

Because the bodies weren't charred.

An anti-aircraft missile doesn't just go up like a bomb, they can be the kind that target engines, which on civilian airliners are out on the wings and away from the passengers. Or they can be radar missiles which will home in on the fuselage but most missiles use proximity fuses which send out a cloud of shrapnel that shreds the plane. The Sea Dart missile the Navy used in the Falklands went off in front of the target and released a massive steel net which the plane flew into and shredded itself.

So the airliner wasn't destroyed by a big flash bang explosion. Big holes were knocked in it and/or big pieces sliced off. The big bits with fuel in them went bang and burned when they hit the ground but debris was spread over a large area (like Lockerbie) making it easy to collect the passports from the hand luggage.

Cheers. So effectively they are disabling devices that result largely in catastrophic failure but rarely explode unless the fuel source is hit?

The Sea Dart missile the Navy used in the Falklands went off in front of the target and released a massive steel net which the plane flew into and shredded itself.

Wow. That's sounds like something Dick Dastardly would have used.

Wow. That's sounds like something Dick Dastardly would have used.

Yeah, I can't find anything online about it but in this pic you see the four rockets that were attached to the corners of the net and spread it out when they fired. Pretty effective and I think it's the only missile to have shot down an anti-shipping missile in anger too,

1dy8hk.jpg

I hope it doesn't happen but it is likely that some of the personal stuff will be looted due to the general lack of security in the area. That will possibly make it very difficult to find out what exactly did happen. I think after Lockerbie the authorities were able to rebuild a lot of the wreckage to get a better picture of what really happened there. I doubt if they will be really able to do much the same in this case.