The Alloa Athletic Thread

Have to agree. The disappointment of Alloa fans is understandable and it is possible that Ross could be an Ian Murray style flop and regret the move, but you can't blame him for taking the chance.

You only have to look at Paul Sheerin and Colin Cameron for examples of how staying could have gone wrong for him - managers who were highly rated for the jobs they were doing at the top of League 1/bottom of the Championship and were linked with bigger jobs but didn't move. After a few years the form of their teams went downhill and their reputations and jobs went with it, ending their hopes of managing at a higher level. Okay, nine months is a short time in charge, but for all Jack Ross knows he could have ended up waiting another three years before another opportunity to move to a bigger club arose.

Tbf Paul Sheerin is now Aberdeen u20s manager and a first team coach so it hasn't worked out that badly for him

1 minute ago, Lichtie78 said:

Tbf Paul Sheerin is now Aberdeen u20s manager and a first team coach so it hasn't worked out that badly for him

Oh aye, it could certainly be far worse, but there was a time when he'd surely have had hopes of managing a top flight club's first team rather than their u20s.

Oh aye, it could certainly be far worse, but there was a time when he'd surely have had hopes of managing a top flight club's first team rather than their u20s.

Aye I get what you mean, just wouldn't have put him in the same category as Colin Cameron who I think was last seen as a trialist for Lochore Welfare ;)

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

Aye I get what you mean, just wouldn't have put him in the same category as Colin Cameron who I think was last seen as a trialist for Lochore Welfare ;)

Cameron's now a coach at Edusport Academy he even played in a couple of games for them at the start of the season.

Can see where Dunnings coming from back in 2012 you would have expected both Sheerin and Cameron to eventually move into managerial positions with neither of them doing so.

3 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

He used to help out with the reserves.

That list is totally uninspiring to say the least, out of that lot would probably take Paatelainen or Goodwin, maybe Ian Murray if he had learned from his mistakes at St.Mirren. Who is Gordon Young by the way??

That list is totally uninspiring to say the least, out of that lot would probably take Paatelainen or Goodwin, maybe Ian Murray if he had learned from his mistakes at St.Mirren. Who is Gordon Young by the way??

First google search said "Former Dundee-United assistant manager".

Mark Wilson is hands down one of the worst players I've seen pull on the white and gold since...well, since we switched back to white and gold. Doesn't mean he won't be a good manager though - I think he was quite highly thought of at Dundee United and had been helping out with their youth teams before joining us.