The Alloa Athletic Thread

Black would be a fine appointment. Another name on Mike's radar will be Chris Mackie. Mackie joined the coaching team at Arthurlie earlier this year. I'm sure he'd be keen to make the next step and take on the challenge of managing the Indodrill Wasps. 

16 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Black would be a fine appointment. Another name on Mike's radar will be Chris Mackie. Mackie joined the coaching team at Arthurlie earlier this year. I'm sure he'd be keen to make the next step and take on the challenge of managing the Indodrill Wasps. 

Bit of a step up from being at coach at Arthurlie to managing Alloa I would have thought.

(On second thoughts, you're probably at the wind up)

18 hours ago, Waspie said:

I understand that argument and the lure of a full-time club. I don't agree however that a manager needs to "cash in" at the first offer, and there are plenty of managers who did just that and made moves which ended up trashing their reputation. Ross has built his own team at Alloa and was very confident of winning the league, something that would have further enhanced his reputation. Working with somebody else's (struggling) squad at St Mirren is a far tougher task. Ross is a clever guy though, and I don't think he would necessarily jumped at the first full-time offer if he didn't think it was right for him. He clearly feels St Mirren is a good move and worth the risk. 

Will be interesting to see who comes in at Alloa next. Tough job for Mike to get somebody as good as JR, but his track record of managerial appointments is pretty good. 

I'm not saying managers should cash in at the first offer, but if you're offered a 2 or 3 year contract at a full-time club it must be very hard to say no. In a logical world he should spend a few years learning the trade with Alloa and then get a move like what used to happen decades ago, but in the real managerial world now all it takes is one poor run of form and your reputation takes a hit/you get sacked, and it wont be long until the next highly rated young manager overtakes you.

It's never been easier for managers to get a reputation as something special - Jack Ross being the perfect example, been a manager 9 months and achieved nothing apart from building a decent squad (who are sitting below Darren Dodds' Brechin City in the league incidently...) - but also it's never been easier to lose your reputation either

There are arguments for going and staying. I see Ross said in his press conference that it had to be the right offer for him to leave.

As an aside, "Achieved nothing" is a quite a verdict on his time at Alloa. Two draws with Rangers and a win over Hibs last season (with a team that had 1 win in 16 when he took over). This season he had two Premiership scalps and a first League Cup quarter final since 65/66, where his team held Celtic for 83 minutes, and a club record 10 wins in a row. I'm sure we'd be pretty happy if the next man gets close to what Ross did in his time at Alloa. Over to you, Chris Mackie.

4 hours ago, Wilkinson1998 said:

Just seen Ian Black outside the stadium in a shirt and tie talking on the phone. Is he looking at management?

Stop it. You can only tweak the tail of fate so many times!

On 04/10/2016 at 23:35, Diamonds are Forever said:

Don't think you can ever blame a manager for leaving a part-time job for full-time in these circumstances. A manager's shelf life is so short these day, if Alloa had slipped down and finished 3rd or 4th like I think you'd have done he would have been yesterday's news by the end of the season. Even if he'd finished 1st or 2nd St Mirren is about as good a job as he could hope to get, don't really see what he'd have gained by staying.

If you're a manager you've got to cash in when you can because one poor run of form and you'll be punted never to be heard of again.

Have to agree. The disappointment of Alloa fans is understandable and it is possible that Ross could be an Ian Murray style flop and regret the move, but you can't blame him for taking the chance.

You only have to look at Paul Sheerin and Colin Cameron for examples of how staying could have gone wrong for him - managers who were highly rated for the jobs they were doing at the top of League 1/bottom of the Championship and were linked with bigger jobs but didn't move. After a few years the form of their teams went downhill and their reputations and jobs went with it, ending their hopes of managing at a higher level. Okay, nine months is a short time in charge, but for all Jack Ross knows he could have ended up waiting another three years before another opportunity to move to a bigger club arose.