The Alloa Athletic Thread

On 14/07/2023 at 16:21, Kevchenko said:

The podcast is back for the new season and we kick things off with a 90 minute special!

We take a look at the new arrivals in this transfer window and at a couple of the departures from last season.

We then have a special guest appearance from one of the squad before looking ahead to the Viaplay Cup games.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Really good episode, Kevchenko. Plenty to discuss of course, but you made a lot of good points.

Hearing from Stevie H was great, especially the detail from January of how he ended up at Arbroath and nearly came back to us then.

I'm sure you've got plans to have more players on in future. Any prospects of having visuals as well in future?

2 hours ago, printer said:

Really good episode, Kevchenko. Plenty to discuss of course, but you made a lot of good points.

Hearing from Stevie H was great, especially the detail from January of how he ended up at Arbroath and nearly came back to us then.

I'm sure you've got plans to have more players on in future. Any prospects of having visuals as well in future?

Thanks Printer. Yeah Stevie was really open about everything and it was great to hear what goes on in the background. Like the fact that it sounds like Rice basically had it all done and dusted the morning of the final game of last season. 

Would be good to get some of the squad on during the season so will just have to see if they are up for it. We organised it with Stevie when we were putting the Legends team together then it was a happy coincidence when he ended up signing!

We have the capabilities to do a video podcast, just have to see if @KierenAAFC is up for getting in front of the camera! When we record we do record video as well as audio and I’ve played about with putting a video episode together, but it takes me about 3 or 4 times longer to edit than the audio only does - makes me respect the work that goes in to the highlights packages by @LeodhasXD!!

Seen on twitter we've extended our deal with Pendle for another season. The article mentions new kits coming soon. Edit: Although it did say before the league cup campaign gets underway!

Not the biggest fan on Pendle, very boring template kits for the most part. 

Edited by Rory

2 minutes ago, Rory said:

Seen on twitter we've extended our deal with Pendle for another season. The article mentions new kits coming soon.

Not the biggest fan on Pendle, very boring template kits for the most part. 

We're not changing nay strips this year. I think that was more a comment on expanding their range of kits they're selling. Which will mean more in the future to choose from.

Although saying that we got new kit for the staff and they are very good. The 1/4 zip top I have on if they add this patterned textured sleeve a top it'll be really nice. That's the only detail that makes pendle kits stand out from the really expensive brands that I've not seen before.

Hetherington and deveney stand outs again tonight for me. Striker is needed ASAP because rodden isn’t the answer up there. Puts in a shift but the quality isn’t there for me. 

Virtanen had quite a poor game tonight but he’s looked fairly decent all pre season.

Thought we atleast deserved a draw tonight though. Seemed to be all over the place after we managed to get our noses infront. 

48 minutes ago, Wasps1878 said:

Hetherington and deveney stand outs again tonight for me. Striker is needed ASAP because rodden isn’t the answer up there. Puts in a shift but the quality isn’t there for me. 

Virtanen had quite a poor game tonight but he’s looked fairly decent all pre season.

Thought we atleast deserved a draw tonight though. Seemed to be all over the place after we managed to get our noses infront. 

This is a good opinion but I like Rodden and I still feel like his luck will turn. He always gets the chances... once he calms down and stops snatching at them then the goals will come.

35 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

This is a good opinion but I like Rodden and I still feel like his luck will turn. He always gets the chances... once he calms down and stops snatching at them then the goals will come.

Good option off the bench with his energy but that’s as far as it goes for me. 

Forgotten from a football perspective how painful it is to lose a game against Stirling Albion..

Thought we played okay but as everybody can clearly see, we need strikers, ideally two and Brian Rice needs to address this before our next game against Stirling.

Looked probably the better team but when Sammon went off, they started to dominate and you could see the goals coming.

Donnelly is a good player but hasn't played a minute of preseason and looks injury prone. If Sammon got injured we would be in trouble as I don't think Rodden is good enough to start. A bit like Rankine he is capable of making an impact of the bench but we need better quality for the first 11.

With Taggart and Kev back we would be in a much better position.

20 hours ago, waspie13 said:

Looking forward to the game tonight but I think it is shocking charging £18 at the gate 🐝

I had tickets for a gig in Glasgow before this game was even announced, but if the truth be told I wouldn't have paid £18 to go last night had I not. I know a lot of Albion regulars that chose not to go and there were a good number of comments on social media from fans saying they would keep their money, so I think the Alloa board shot themselves in the foot with this decision. As Stenny saw over the years, we do tend to take a big away support to games on our doorstep, a big attendance may have been there anyway but had the price been around about £13ish, then I would hazard a guess that you would have seen double what arrived.

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

Forgotten from a football perspective how painful it is to lose a game against Stirling Albion..

We'll take the bragging rights as we normally do, so yeah, it must be painful for the Alloa fans, I honestly wouldn't know.................... ;) all joking and banter aside lads, I think it's a fixture that has been seriously and sadly missed for the past 11 or 12 years. Although the older Stirling supporters talk about Falkirk, for lads like myself, this was always "our derby" and the rivalry with Alloa was always the first fixture you looked out for, so I think it's great to have it back on the calendar again and I hope to see some real rollercoaster and ding dong affairs between the 2 of us this season. I think we do have a squad that will be more than competitive in the league, something that's been lacking in our 2 or 3 cup meetings.

11 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Very generous on Rodden. Looks like he’s won a competition to play up there, completely out of his depth. He doesn’t have the intelligence to use his pace unless the defenders are knackered and should be getting 10 minutes at the end of games at most. Rankin as much as he’s only 18 is a much better footballer and I feel we’d get on a lot better with either him or Coulson playing off Sammon until we get another striker or 2 in.

Last night pretty much confirmed my thoughts, we’re pretty solid in defence and midfield but very lacking up front. Still plenty time to sort it so no need to panic as of yet.

@AlloaAdam Very solid in midfield and defence for most of it. McKay made a couple mistakes at the end that proved vital. I really liked Debayo. 

It's not a Malcolm, Renton and Cook forward line just yet... we'll be better off than we were that season (someone loan Kirky and Stewart quick though) but hard to see it not being a similar graft until we get someone to loan in.

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

@AlloaAdam Very solid in midfield and defence for most of it. McKay made a couple mistakes at the end that proved vital. I really liked Debayo. 

It's not a Malcolm, Renton and Cook forward line just yet... we'll be better off than we were that season (someone loan Kirky and Stewart quick though) but hard to see it not being a similar graft until we get someone to loan in.

Buchanan certainly didn’t do his chances any harm of playing more consistently this season, and if he keeps developing I could see Taggart being a centre half again this season for us, still not entirely convinced on McKay. Debayo was good last night, if a tad wayward on the ball at times. 

Difference between the sides last night was they were able to bring on a top striker against a tiring defence and he certainly made the most of it, Carrick was excellent for them last night. Wouldn’t have mattered if we’d taken a couple of the guilt edged chances in the first half right enough.

13 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I hope you're right as Rodden works so hard and everyone likes to see a player come from a lower level and grab their chance. I would say, if you take a look at his goals in that initial spell last year, they didn't come from him being calm and composed, rather he was swinging at everything and got a few goals that were a little unconventional. I didn't get the talk at the time of him being a natural finisher, it was all about energy, chasing everything and having a go. Very hard gig to maintain beyond the short term even as an impact sub and not a style that would work as a starter. 

I'd agree with AlloaAdam, in the circumstances we absolutely  should have started with Sammon up top last night and creative influences in behind. You could have had a back four, Stevie and Virtanan sitting, then Cammy, Scougall and Coulson behind Sammon. I think that team would have won comfortably enough. As it was we were very disjointed in front of the midfield two and struggled to involve Scougall, something we saw a fair bit last season. 

Edited by Waspie

Hi guys,

I started a project to see every team in the Scottish pyramid play at home. Anyway, last night was Alloa's turn. I know the result wasn't what you wanted, but I enjoyed my night. 
I'm sure the derby is a welcome addition to your calendar this season. Give the blog link below a read if you can, hope it did the club/ground some justice. 

Good luck with the season

https://groundhopscot.wordpress.com/2023/07/19/club-88-286-alloa-athletic/

Awful result to kick off the season but at least there are 4 derbies still to come to get some revenge. 

As others have said the game should have probably been put to bed with some decent first half chances and we know up top is the area we are lacking - any physical threat disappeared the minute Sammon went off. 

Defence and midfield continue to look encouraging and I thought Debayo had a really encouraging debut. I’m trying hard not to get overly critical on McKay with him only just signing, but I’m certainly concerned and hope he starts to settle in soon - right now I’d be favouring Devine, Neill and Debayo as my 3 centre backs. 

Thought Buchanan was excellent last night, picking up from the Dunfermline friendly. Looked confident from the get go going forward and he did well defensively in the 2nd half as well. 

Fair bit of debate on Rodden - I was quite impressed with how he started and was looking lively buzzing around the place. He did really well out wide getting an excellent ball in as well but then started to drift out the game a bit until a couple of half chances where he was a bit rash with his finishing. For me I do see him as more of an impact player off the bench, but with current options I can definitely understand why he would be starting. I think there is the potential for him to end up with a decent haul this season as he will put himself in good positions, has a good burst of pace and will pressurise defenders in to mistakes, but it’s going to depend on his final product - right now he looks raw and rusty, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple of goals giving him the confidence to settle in to things. It’s probably worth noting that’s his first competitive game since that idiot Mackie took him out and that was around the 21st of January, can accept him being a bit rustier than the others are!

I can see the argument of Rodden being more rusty than others, but you’ve also got to remember that despite not playing since the end of January, the last goal he scored was on the 17th September! He may have a couple of decent attributes but he’s not clever enough to use them to his advantage and we plainly have better options than him - whether they are out and out strikers or not. The first few league games are going to be a grind for us to try and scrape as many points as we can until we get a couple of strikers through the door and we would be much more likely to get points with Coulson/O’Donnell/Cawley/Rankin playing off Sammon rather than hoping he comes good IMO.

Spoiler

Reserve the right to delete this when he scores a hat-trick on Saturday 😁

28 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Does anybody know how close Taggart and Donnelly are to being fit?

We miss both of them and need them back and new striking options in soon.

Fairly sure Taggart has been saying next week since the beginning of pre-season. Donnelly I've not seen do too much running so assume he's worse off.