The Alloa Athletic Thread

25 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

I See the fixtures are out , QOTS Away to Start,

would have preffered a home start this season , we were away last season too 

mr Mulraney Have  a word will you ?  🙂

The home teams for the start week will have been significantly affected by the UCI Cycling World Championships. Palmerston for instance is physically unreachable for supporters the 2nd week of the season due to road racing going down the street outside it so we couldn't be at home in week 2. Therefore given the principle of every club starting either H/A or A/H, we had to be home week 1. There are other clubs similarly affected across the country, particularly the west coast. If Alloa's not affected by the cycling you were always likely to have a home game 2nd.

52 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The home teams for the start week will have been significantly affected by the UCI Cycling World Championships. Palmerston for instance is physically unreachable for supporters the 2nd week of the season due to road racing going down the street outside it so we couldn't be at home in week 2. Therefore given the principle of every club starting either H/A or A/H, we had to be home week 1. There are other clubs similarly affected across the country, particularly the west coast. If Alloa's not affected by the cycling you were always likely to have a home game 2nd.

I mean the road race goes through Alloa but I assume that'll be on the Sunday. 

Actually no it doesn't. I'd saw us on the first release of the UCI world championship but the route comes across the bridges and seems to turn back. 

Edited by LeodhasXD

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Apparently the physical access road to Palmerston and the Arena will be closed for about a week around that 2nd weekend of the season. Hosting a game is just a complete non starter. I think they're opening up the lane behind the home terrace at Palmerston to cars to provide access to the Arena from the other side. Dumfries is going to be an absolute pain to get about in for a week or so.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

59 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Actually no it doesn't. I'd saw us on the first release of the UCI world championship but the route comes across the bridges and seems to turn back. 

Yeah, none of the road races goes through Alloa.

The only one that comes close is the men's elite road race, which starts in Edinburgh, heads over the Queensferry Crossing, turns left going through Culross and Kincardine then turns left at the Kilbagie Roundabout over the Clackmannan Bridge, passes through Carronshore, Falkirk, Bonnybridge and Denny before heading along past the Carron Valley Reservoir. It arrives in Glasgow City centre via the Crow Road and does ten laps of a fourteen kilometre circuit there. It's on Sunday 6th August.

The men's is the only road race starting in Edinburgh. The women's elite, U23 and men's U23 are starting at Balloch. They also head to the Glasgow circuit via the Crow Road.

Stirling is hosting the elite etc individual time trial events, all starting and finishing there on, IIRC, 9th to 11th August. Routes head out towards Thornhill and Kippen before returning.

Think it's the para road races in Dumfries.

ETA I'm volunteering at the road races, based at Glasgow George Sq. 🙂

Edited by printer

1 hour ago, printer said:

Yeah, none of the road races goes through Alloa.

The only one that comes close is the men's elite road race, which starts in Edinburgh, heads over the Queensferry Crossing, turns left going through Culross and Kincardine then turns left at the Kilbagie Roundabout over the Clackmannan Bridge, passes through Carronshore, Falkirk, Bonnybridge and Denny before heading along past the Carron Valley Reservoir. It arrives in Glasgow City centre via the Crow Road and does ten laps of a fourteen kilometre circuit there. It's on Sunday 6th August.

The men's is the only road race starting in Edinburgh. The women's elite, U23 and men's U23 are starting at Balloch. They also head to the Glasgow circuit via the Crow Road.

Stirling is hosting the elite etc individual time trial events, all starting and finishing there on, IIRC, 9th to 11th August. Routes head out towards Thornhill and Kippen before returning.

Think it's the para road races in Dumfries.

ETA I'm volunteering at the road races, based at Glasgow George Sq. 🙂

When it was first announced there wasn't a detailed route but I thought the diagram showed it going through Alloa & Stirling en route to the finish. Quite disappointed by that.

I did think they'd need to do a road to an acceptable standard to accommodate the race right enough.

Time trial routes are good. I've cycled most of that route.

11 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

When it was first announced there wasn't a detailed route but I thought the diagram showed it going through Alloa & Stirling en route to the finish. Quite disappointed by that.

I did think they'd need to do a road to an acceptable standard to accommodate the race right enough.

Time trial routes are good. I've cycled most of that route.

Aye, the initial diagrams/maps weren't particularly clear (don't even think the latest are that great tbh). I didn't think it was going through Falkirk town centre until the local council listed the roads involved.

They've been repairing the roads. Culross to Longannet is finished and I know they are doing Carron Valley (which is horrific) too. I imagine they are doing the full routes where they need repaired.

Aye, good cycling out that way.

4 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Incidentally.....the accepted logic (many sources).......god I;m so.....so tired

You aren't the ton fan who goes around saying to opposition fans " ma maws a welder want a square go ? " are you ?

Hope Andy Rodden is ok, looked a dull one. If I remember correctly, same area of the pitch that Brad got his injury too.

Hetherington and Vertanan looked good. Rankin looked good too when he came on.

Any ideas who number 2 was?

A decent enough preseason game.

Thought Andy Graham and Stevie Hetherington wee our best two players. Andy's reading of the game is still outstanding. Of the new guys Morgan Neill looked a good strong player and chipped in with a goal. 

Agree with Rory, Rankin was good when he came on and caused the Morton defence problems.

Still think we need another striking option but hopefully that will. Be covered by the loans.

Edited by Magic Hat

Have to agree with you magic hat, a good preseason game against a fairly robust Morton team.  
Falkirk fans would have watched that and wondered what we are feeding Stevie H on, he’s got his Alloa mojo on. Brilliant at breaking play up and his distribution was spot on. Him and Scouggs together will be a joy this season. 
There is a good physical presence to the team this season and lots of players still to come back. 
Good to see us getting some experienced, permanent signings in nice and early and hopefully top up with loans as required. 

2 hours ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Supposedly, what's your opinion on him?

Ach, he might do ok. The main concern would be he hasn't kicked a ball for 15 months. He was released by us in May 2022 and is registration is still sitting with the SFA with us as his last club so he's not played anywhere else at all meantime.

He played 24 games for us at Championship level in our relegation season, mostly under Allan Johnston. He didn't sign until after the League Cup groups were done, joined on the eve of our opening league game and made his debut as a sub that day. Thereafter, other than two games missed with a minor injury, he was ever present up to January. Signed ostensibly as a left back, but played far more of his games filling in at centre back. He lost his place at centre back when we signed Darragh O'Connor on loan from Motherwell and thereafter only filled in the odd game at left back when Alex Cooper was injured.

He's a big athletic boy, very physical, and not slow. There were sometimes doubts about his commitment maybe though. On the one hand he played more than half a season as a regular in the Championship, on the other hand the defence was the weakest part of our team and he was pretty much marginalised by the management change, although it was Johnston who replaced him with O'Connor initially. Basically he was signed to compete for the left back position with Alex Cooper, but our far greater needs at centre back saw him end up playing most of his games there and Cooper was the established left back by the time we actually signed a centre back to replace him.

Interesting to see if he gets a deal. What position did he play? How did he do?

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Interesting to see if he gets a deal. What position did he play? How did he do?

Came on at CB for last 5/10 minutes. Made one decent tackle but other than that didn't have much to do.

Made a late cameo on left of a back 3. Was only on for ten mins but saw him win tackles, header and find a team mate with a pass, it’sa start lol. Certainly a big imposing guy and showed a little bit of pace too.