The Alloa Athletic Thread

44 minutes ago, Rory said:

Advertiser has leaked some signings it seems said we've signed David McKay from QoTS and Miko Virtanen from Cove

Miko wasn't good at all for us and was constantly injured as well. The only hope is that he can be better in league 1. However Arbroath and even some Aberdeen fans seemed to rate Miko though so maybe there is in a player in him just wasn't good for us or Cove

Last Saturday until the (club) football returns so what better way to spend it than a listen to our chat on the podcast with Kevin Cawley.

In Part 1 we talk through wee Kev's early days in football and his first steps in the senior game. Then its on to talking through his memorable first spell at the club.

Should have the 2nd part up on Tuesday.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

17 hours ago, Rory said:

Will there be pay at the gate next week for Kev's testimonial?

Pay at the gate will be available. Will hopefully get some e-tickets live this week for fans to purchase. Club and @KCTestimonial on Twitter will post that out when it’s available.

1 hour ago, printer said:

Pleased with both of these signings. Defence looks like it has the potential, at least, to be a strong one.

It certainly has the potential , Might have to be patient till they get to know each other a bit , whole new defence bar taggs .

5 hours ago, Rory said:

He was highly rated by the Airdrie fans but seems a bit like Church/Strachan that he's better going forward that defending according to them

Highly rated is definitely pushing it and any Airdrie fan claiming otherwise has a poor memory. For most of the season the chat was that he wasn't good enough defensively. I think he's got potential to be a good player and wish him all the best, but our best form of the season was when he was dropped after a terrible performance at Palmerston in March (not by any means claiming this form was all down to him being dropped btw). I think the only game he started after that was the 2nd leg of the final against Hamilton due to a suspension and he was largely at fault for the 2nd goal (not great on the 1st goal either). I think if we hadn't equalised in the last minute the good will towards him probably wouldn't be as strong given that goal would have killed us. I don't think McCabe ever really fancied him, he tried to drop him 2 or 3 times but our small squad meant he often had no option but to play him.

It could go either way at Alloa. Playing in a less expansive side might help him defensively as the team will be a bit more solid and compact. Alternatively, it might limit his only real strength, going forward, and put more focus on his defending, which is poor.

He's only 20 and I've no doubt his defensive side will improve and he's got the ability going forward to be a good full-back. I really hope he does well as he never gave anything but his best, hard to say with any confidence how he'll do though.

I have a sensational back heel assist for Virtanen that I will share once I have a desktop to download the clip and that has already clouded my judgement that he will be excellent.

Likewise Deveney I think will be good. He will get good guidance from Rice. Church was poor defensively but could deliver a wonderful assist every 4 or 5 games. Matching that is at least a win for a player who is only 21 and still has bags of time to develop.

8 signings which leave us less reliant on loans i would think, although i think a loan striker would be the icing on the cake. I wonder who the captain will be  ?

If Brian Rice can get this team playing to their strengths, we should be capable of another top four finish 

but it will be difficult still with four full time teams looking to finish high as well , 

Some decent signings going their way too, will be an interesting league no doubt  .i think we may need to be patient with so many changes in players, looking forward to it and for saturday , Should be fun supporting both teams on the pitch . 🤪😜