The Alloa Athletic Thread

On 31/05/2023 at 09:27, Rory said:

Seeing a lot of clubs putting statements out about the proposed Conference league getting added next season. Anyone know what our stance is on it?

The club's been silent on the issue since the very start, when Celtgers started planting stories in the press about their how their reserves would be playing in the Championship soon. Our chairman's been heavily involved with the SFA for some time, and they've been pushing for youth development to be left to the big clubs for even longer. The entire rationale behind the reserve teams being included in the pyramid is supposed to be that it'll produce better Scottish players.

I think the stance is, "keep quiet for as long as this looks unlikely to be passed by the other clubs so we aren't the bad guys".

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

I see Quinn Coulson got a new contract with Alloa, I guess he continued to kick on with you?

Yes and no , good start then got benched after some  Meh ! displays , then had a couple of starts where he was quite good 

played very well against hamilton in the first leg playoff . needs to be more consistent but will improve .

Pots for the league cup draw tomorrow:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/202324-viaplay-cup-draw-seedings

Pot 3, so there’s a chance of being in a group with 2 other league 1 teams which would be pretty annoying after our cup draws last season. 

Not sure if the league cup still has the pre-determined fixtures for home and away but if I remember right then last year we were:

Home v Pot 4 (midweek)

Away v Pot 5 (Saturday)

Home v Pot 1 (midweek)

Away v Pot 2 (Saturday)

Be good to avoid the league 1 teams (although home v team 28 to kick things off would be interesting) and wouldn’t mind a trip to the hedge or Spartans from pot 5 if that is indeed an away game. 

Delighted to release Kevin Cawley’s testimonial pin badge. 

Happy with how they have come out with a nice backing card and quality badge. Fitting of a true Alloa legend and hopefully successful day.

If you are interested in getting one, that’s it on the website. Any surplus will be sold on match-day. All proceeds to the testimonial.

⬇️

https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/product/kevin-cawley-limited-edition-pin-badge/

8AA72FE9-DD9B-417C-9042-87632F24218A.jpeg

Edited by KierenAAFC

1 hour ago, KierenAAFC said:

Delighted to release Kevin Cawley’s testimonial pin badge. 

Happy with how they have come out with a nice backing card and quality badge. Fitting of a true Alloa legend and hopefully successful day.

If you are interested in getting one, that’s it on the website. Any surplus will be sold on match-day. All proceeds to the testimonial.

⬇️

https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/product/kevin-cawley-limited-edition-pin-badge/

8AA72FE9-DD9B-417C-9042-87632F24218A.jpeg

Class that ! picking mine up tomorrow ,  Nice wee souvenir of an Alloa legend .

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

Class that ! picking mine up tomorrow ,  Nice wee souvenir of an Alloa legend .

Cheers mate. As Leodhas says, the stock will be up in Alloa at lunch time. Disadvantages of me being Glasgow based. Appreciate the support with it 👍

Edited by KierenAAFC

18 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Pots for the league cup draw tomorrow:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/202324-viaplay-cup-draw-seedings

Pot 3, so there’s a chance of being in a group with 2 other league 1 teams which would be pretty annoying after our cup draws last season. 

Not sure if the league cup still has the pre-determined fixtures for home and away but if I remember right then last year we were:

Home v Pot 4 (midweek)

Away v Pot 5 (Saturday)

Home v Pot 1 (midweek)

Away v Pot 2 (Saturday)

Be good to avoid the league 1 teams (although home v team 28 to kick things off would be interesting) and wouldn’t mind a trip to the hedge or Spartans from pot 5 if that is indeed an away game. 

Should be an entertaining group!

3 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Up against Stanger's Ayr .typical 

St johnstone at perth ?

S**t  just realised i will miss all but the first game

Going by Kevs format on the previous page (which is accurate based on previous group fixture formats) we'd play St J and Stirling at home, Ayr and Stenny away.

Will await confirmation though, usually get the fixtures about a week later than the draw

Quite a decent group, couple of local rivals and we'll get to see Stanger in action for his new team.

Any idea when we can submit the registration for the 6 players Rice has signed? 

3 minutes ago, Rory said:

Quite a decent group, couple of local rivals and we'll get to see Stanger in action for his new team.

Any idea when we can submit the registration for the 6 players Rice has signed? 

Think the 14th of this month was mentioned as FIFA’s new date (previously 9th). 

48 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

QOS sign Daniel Church. Any thoughts?

http://www.qosfc.com/news-6094

Really hope he does well. Better going forward than defensively. Did very well for us this season, after a difficult debut year listening to Barry Ferguson's sh*te from the touchline, with several assists and a couple of goals. Very left sided and good pace.

If he can improve the defensive side of his game (and there were signs that was coming) then could go on to be a decent signing for QotS.

Edited by printer

46 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Improved massively for us last season but replaceable IMO. Has an excellent cross on him but doesn’t have lightening pace to beat a man and his defending at times is questionable (to put it nicely!), particularly at stopping crosses. Probably on balance deserves a move to a full time team, good luck to him.

57 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Was a bit surprised we re-signed him for last season but he came on so much this season, maybe down to having a manager who didn't just shout at him whenever he was on the pitch.

Better going forward than back but hopefully full time training will help his defensive side.

Hoping we don't see his goal celebration in any of our games next season!

I think that others in this thread have pretty much hit the nail on the head with Church. Decent going forward, could be better defensively, and he improved last season. I would have been happy to keep him, but I'm not that bothered about seeing him go (although that may change depending on who we replace him with).