The Alloa Athletic Thread

9 hours ago, printer said:

Not sure that'll be good enough, seeing as we have had a run of the best left backs in Europe, which only stopped when we signed Daniel Church. 😏

😁 Hopefully we can start the run again now bang average Church has gone.

7 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

I see Adam king  is in the training photos by David G

whats the script    @LeodhasXD

I hope we are only offering him training facilities, definitely not good enough to get a third season with us  

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

I hope we are only offering him training facilities, definitely not good enough to get a third season with us  

worth having around as an option though , depends of course on who we sign next

mind you i cant see him displacing Hetherington or roberts

16 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Pj Morrison now confirmed , delighted with that 

Dare I say it, but possibly the best, if not one of the best, Part Time Goalkeeper's about? Every time I seen him play for Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath and Falkirk, I thought he always did well and would have been a Championship keeper by now. 

12 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

And as I type  Kurtis roberts  Signs from Clyde  .

Roberts was with us for 2 seasons and I've got to say, I was never that sold on him. He wasn't a bad player but more times than not, I supply found him to be ok. I was stunned that he managed to get a step up a League with Clyde. The Clyde fans on their thread seemed to indicate that he was a player they would like to have kept, after a strong end to the season, but assuming the aim is for you to finish in a Play Off spot, I'm surprised you have gone for him, but best of luck to the lad, wish him well.....except when it comes to the obvious.

Edited by BB_Bino

43 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

worth having around as an option though , depends of course on who we sign nex

Not for me, regardless of who else we do or don't sign. No question about his ability but I thought he was extremely fortunate to get a second season and he didn't do anywhere near enough to then merit another chance. Time to move on. 

I quite like King, he's shown glimpses of a good player but not consistently. I don't mind his as a squad player. Who knows, he could even end up being this seasons Daniel Church...

33 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Roberts was with us for 2 seasons and I've got to say, I was never that sold on him. He wasn't a bad player but more times than not, I supply found him to be ok. I was stunned that he managed to get a step up a League with Clyde. The Clyde fans on their thread seemed to indicate that he was a player they would like to have kept, after a strong end to the season, but assuming the aim is for you to finish in a Play Off spot, I'm surprised you have gone for him, but best of luck to the lad, wish him well.....except when it comes to the obvious.

For the first half of the season, Roberts wasn't great. He was being played all over the shop by Lennon, wide left, full back etc. For some bizarre reason, Lennon absolutely loved playing boys anywhere but their specific position.

Completely turned it around under Duffy once he was played consistently in centre mid. Strong on the ball and could drive us up the park as that kind of box-to-box midfielder. Knows how to win a lot of fouls too. By the end of the season, he was easily my POTY. There was no chance he would stay with us after that absolute bin-fire of a season, so I'm glad to see he's getting another crack at the level.

By the way do you think you will sign Doyle permanently now he officially left us a couple of weeks ago been no real rumour on where he is going to. Can see you signing Shiels as well now that he left yesterday and with yous losing Church.

I'd be very happy signing Mikey Doyle but from speaking to someone who knows him on another forum he's hoping to stay full time. Albeit, if you're getting released by Hamilton then the full time options probably aren't that plentiful.

That conversation was a couple of weeks ago, however, so things may well have changed.

Edited by Dink
Additional context

Just now, Dink said:

I'd be very happy signing Mikey Doyle but from speaking to someone who knows him on another forum he's hoping to stay full time. Albeit, if you're getting released by Hamilton then the full time options probably aren't that plentiful.

Yeah the only chance Doyle has of getting a full time team is with Cove or QOTS imo and that's being a bit ambitious no chance he will get another championship side i wouldn't think unless he's happy with sitting on the bench every week. I wouldn't of minded Doyle staying he would  probably of been quite good in league 1. 

30 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

For the first half of the season, Roberts wasn't great. He was being played all over the shop by Lennon, wide left, full back etc. For some bizarre reason, Lennon absolutely loved playing boys anywhere but their specific position.

Completely turned it around under Duffy once he was played consistently in centre mid. Strong on the ball and could drive us up the park as that kind of box-to-box midfielder. Knows how to win a lot of fouls too. By the end of the season, he was easily my POTY. There was no chance he would stay with us after that absolute bin-fire of a season, so I'm glad to see he's getting another crack at the level.

We've got plenty of good attacking / creative midfielders in Scougall, Cawley, and Donnelly (depending on where he's played) so a more box to box, physical midfielder should help us.

2 hours ago, Dink said:

We've got plenty of good attacking / creative midfielders in Scougall, Cawley, and Donnelly (depending on where he's played) so a more box to box, physical midfielder should help us.

Indeed, something we probably lacked last season. With Stevie H also signed up looks like we are going to have more physicality, energy and ball winning capability in midfield. 

2 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Yeah the only chance Doyle has of getting a full time team is with Cove or QOTS imo and that's being a bit ambitious no chance he will get another championship side i wouldn't think unless he's happy with sitting on the bench every week. I wouldn't of minded Doyle staying he would  probably of been quite good in league 1. 

Doyley has held out for full-time in the past when there didn't seem to be many such options open to him and he's always ended up with something, e.g. when a club has an emergency (iirc he got a gig at St Johnstone like that).

I imagine he's confident something will come up, even if he's signed ostensibly as back up. Given he can cover centre back and his good attitude and fitness I think some full-time sides could do worse.

8 minutes ago, printer said:

Doyley has held out for full-time in the past when there didn't seem to be many such options open to him and he's always ended up with something, e.g. when a club has an emergency (iirc he got a gig at St Johnstone like that).

I imagine he's confident something will come up, even if he's signed ostensibly as back up. Given he can cover centre back and his good attitude and fitness I think some full-time sides could do worse.

He looked out of depth in the championship far too slow sadly and made a couple stupid mistakes I think at league 1 he's a decent player. I can't see him playing regularly for a team above league 1 tbh.

8 minutes ago, printer said:

I think some already have 😁. Love Doyley but if we were to sign him we can be sure Taggs is playing CB and I'd really like to see Taggs playing RB this season.... 

On that point, good to see Neil confirmed now. I wasn't particularly keen when the rumour emerged in December but we obviously then heard Howie was away and since then Stanger and Durnan have left as well. Neil is strong defender and has done well at League One level, should be a solid addition.