The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Kevchenko said:

That's the second part of the podcast with Kevin Cawley now up.

Part 2 covers his return to Alloa and through his second spell at the club through to this season and a look ahead to Saturday's game.

We also fire some more supporters questions to him!

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Excellent work K&K.

Really enjoyed listening to the wee man, even if his memory needed jogged on a few occassions! 😄

Hope we get a good afternoon on Saturday.

Absolutely delighted with that, such a good player and model pro, just the kind of person you want to have around the place. Good man Robbo! 

Btw, top work by the lads with the Kev podcast, a great listen and proper scene setter for the weekend. 

Edited by Waspie

12 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Absolutely delighted with that, such a good player and model pro, just the kind of person you want to have around the place. Good man Robbo! 

Btw, top work by the lads with the Kev podcast, a great listen and proper scene setter for the weekend. 

Exactly. The squad will be stronger with Jon in it and great that he will be there to continue helping the younger lads along with Andy, Taggs etc al.

Good to have experienced guys in the squad in various positions to help the younger guys.

Good job on the pod with Kev and with organising all the testimonial stuff, hopefully the sunshine is still here on Saturday 

Hope everyone is looking forward to Kev's game tomorrow. 

Delighted to have this squad list coming back to play. Lots of good memories in there. One thing @Kevchenko and myself have appreciated whilst frantically phoning and texting players, is it must be so hard to be a football manager in transfer season! 😆

Few of the current team may make a cameo in this team and who knows could be a surprise in it tomorrow as well. 

Edited by KierenAAFC

Really enjoyable afternoon in the sun celebrating KC'S time (so far) at Alloa.

Virtanen showed up well IMO and could be a really good signing. Otherwise a good first run out for the current squad.  Also thought Luke Rankine and Buchanan showed glimpses of talent.

A real treat to see so many Alloa legends turning out. With the older legs supported by Doyley, Waters and Adam Brown and Wee Kev himself the legends side deserved the draw.

Particularly fitting that the wee man scored the best goal of the game after an exquisite Ryan McCord pass. Several of the legends looked like they still have it and could still do a job if required. 

It brought back great memories of the classic Paul Hartley team seeing McCord, Holmes, Darren Young and Sparky interchanging passes and making the game look so easy in spells. We were privileged to see the likes of these guys at the club.

And what about Robbie Winters! Forty-nine later this year and still making runs and cleverly linking up play.

Well done to the organisers. Hopefully a decent sum was raised for Kev.

Great day out at the Recs today! Would echo what printer said, the quality of the legends showed again how lucky we were over the past decade or so. Even though a few of them weren't as mobile as they once were, their talent was clear. I was reminiscing about the first Cawley goal I saw at the Recs which from a great McCord through ball - then they go and do it again! And Graeme Holmes looked like he could still do a job for us, just so good on the ball and reading the game. I could go on about all of the legends though, real class acts and a treat to have them back. 

Was fitting that Kev scored that great goal. I'm sure he enjoyed the day and hopefully he has made a few quid. He deserves it all. Congratulations to those who organised the day, did an absolutely terrific job. 

Hard to take too much from it regarding our team for the new season. I think the manager has added a few promising ones but clearly short in attack and even today I think you could see that. Hopefully that's a priority for the next few weeks. 

I was surprised how fit most of the legends team were but i forgot how skillful these guys are, nice wee reminder of what we had then , saw Stanger and Mciver came to watch too fair play to them and also Jay's brother Nicky, 

must mention keiran and everyone else who organised this , Grand job lads ,

As for the new guys , not the kind of game to make any judgements  but i think Stevie H is  getting his mojo back already  🙂

I wonder how many Teams fans are allowed such access to the players like this ?  some good conversations had 

Brian rice as defensive as ever ..  😁😆

3 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Must be him then , no idea otherwise was he with you last season ?

Aye, never really got a run in the team but would say he’s too lightweight for league 1. Not the worst finisher though. 

Think if we could add another decent striker we could have a really good squad for the season. Maybe even get a striker in on loan.

Guessing nothing came of the Boyd coming back rumours?

25 minutes ago, Rory said:

Think if we could add another decent striker we could have a really good squad for the season. Maybe even get a striker in on loan.

Guessing nothing came of the Boyd coming back rumours?

Last I heard Accies were in the running for Boyd but they've since signed OHara and Henderson 

I don't think we need to sign players that were not rated at Clyde

As for boyd doubt very much he will be coming here , not fussed either way

The impression i got from brian rice was that it has been difficult to find good strikers who will come here 

also noting that sammon and donnelly scored a good few goals between them 

maybe see one on loan . 

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

I don't think we need to sign players that were not rated at Clyde

As for boyd doubt very much he will be coming here , not fussed either way

The impression i got from brian rice was that it has been difficult to find good strikers who will come here 

also noting that sammon and donnelly scored a good few goals between them 

maybe see one on loan . 

Seems to be difficult for any club to get a good striker at this level, best one in the league is probably Megginson or Henderson.