The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

I don't think we need to sign players that were not rated at Clyde

Could be a number of reasons for that though rather than just generalising based on where they finished last season. George Stanger was at relegated Dumbarton yet proved to be a really good signing. Kevin O'Hara another who had barely scored before joining Alloa. 

Not sure about the boy Mcdonald based on his outing on Saturday but more about how he fits into our squad rather than what has passed before.

1 hour ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Could be a number of reasons for that though rather than just generalising based on where they finished last season. George Stanger was at relegated Dumbarton yet proved to be a really good signing. Kevin O'Hara another who had barely scored before joining Alloa. 

Not sure about the boy Mcdonald based on his outing on Saturday but more about how he fits into our squad rather than what has passed before.

My opinion was based on who clyde would have Kept (Roberts ) and who they freed . i think Stanger would have been retained by dumbarton had they the chance ? but to be fair worth giving the said clyde player a chance who knows

we will see in the friendlies i suppose  .no harm done .

we also have a keeper on trial who played in berlin for viktoria  ? could be wrong  .

Edited by Vegetableman

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Seems to be difficult for any club to get a good striker at this level, best one in the league is probably Megginson or Henderson.

Henderson was slated by the QP fans , they did't think much of him at all , we know how good megginson is of course

when he was with us , 

Hendo was a strange one for us, brilliant some games and like playing a man down in others. You could tell from his first couple of touches the kind of game he was going to have. Reckon he has the skills to make it full time in footballs, just felt he needed to change the attitude. Although Barry Ferguson shouting Hendo every five minutes probably didn't do much for him. 

Hard to judge a player based on a testimonial game but felt the number 11 looked like a similar player to Rodden.

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Notes on Olly MacDonald:

Wasn't good for us at all, but did score some (two) impressive goals. Like a poor mans Eamon Brophy, he'll just shoot from absolutely anywhere and like Brophy, it'll rarely work. When it came off, you'd think 'oh aye, very good' and then you'd endure several months of it not happening. 

He's very slight, which obviously isn't great for the Scottish lower leagues. He also didn't use what qualities he does have particularly well. He's wee and zippy, but he's not a winger and didn't look like he could beat a man (hence him shooting from a million yards out). You're really looking for him to run in behind but he wouldn't clock when the run was on, and if he did our garbage midfield wouldn't have been able to pick him out if he was 10 ft tall.

He could be a bit snarling and obnoxious too which at times was good (nice to see a young boy with a bit of personality) but at times was bad (he just seemed like a bit of a helmet). 

Occasionally, and I mean VERY occasionally, he'd look like our least shite player on the park.

Overall, I'd be very surprised if he found a club in the top four divisions. However, Clyde FC was not a good place to be last season football-wise (usual) and he's still a really young laddie, so those factors could have a bearing on how bad he was.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Hard to judge a player based on a testimonial game but felt the number 11 looked like a similar player to Rodden.

Speaking of a player looking similar to Rodden - I've been told that Andy Rodden started yesterday for you as 'Trialist 3'. 

I was very excited about him last season as he made the Lowland League team of the year after a great season with the Shire. However, if one player sums up the fact that signing boys from that level is a lottery, it's him. He was so out of his depth that he had played himself out of first team contention by literally the first game of the league season.

We started that game with a laddie on amateur terms at left back, we conceded after a few seconds and he was hooked after 9 minutes to be replaced by... not Rodden. Lennon brought on centre midfielder Paul Kennedy at left back rather than looking to the actual left back sat on the bench. We signed young Jon Craig from Kilmarnock on loan and Rodden was reduced to fourth choice left back.

He was sent back to Shire in January, lasted a month and then finished the season with Bonnyrigg where he made a few fleeting appearances before ultimately being released by us.

Again, very young, very bad teams last season etc etc but I would be absolutely stunned if he wasn't just making up the numbers because he's Brad's brother.

Looking forward to getting to the friendly tonight to see the new players and trialists. 

Have to admit with everything going on Saturday and all the Legends coming back, I never really took any notice of our own team. One of the few times I’ll sit by the away bench and find myself actively cheering on a team playing Alloa. 

On the Legends, they were superb, both on and off the park. Everyone’s excitement to be back for Kev was great to see and it felt like some of them had never been away. Footballing wise, don’t think there was anyone who looked out of place. Yes, fitness curtailed a few but even your short cameos from the likes of Jason Marr showed his class. Graeme Holmes and Garry Fleming were sublime for me though. Holmer one that I always felt we let go too soon. 

Have to give credit to Robbie Winters and Lee Sharp though, the oldest players on the park, against some young, bright Alloa players. Robbie stayed a good bit later than he was planning to and pretty much refused to go off and for Sharpy, he only got the phone call at 10pm on Friday night and came at the drop of a hat. Says a lot about them and Kev. 

Do have a wee video of the day that has a few thoughts from the Legends and Current Team, plus a wee surprise at the end which is worth waiting for. My software crashed though so will hopefully have it put together again later today or tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Looking forward to getting to the friendly tonight to see the new players and trialists. 

Have to admit with everything going on Saturday and all the Legends coming back, I never really took any notice of our own team. One of the few times I’ll sit by the away bench and find myself actively cheering on a team playing Alloa. 

On the Legends, they were superb, both on and off the park. Everyone’s excitement to be back for Kev was great to see and it felt like some of them had never been away. Footballing wise, don’t think there was anyone who looked out of place. Yes, fitness curtailed a few but even your short cameos from the likes of Jason Marr showed his class. Graeme Holmes and Garry Fleming were sublime for me though. Holmer one that I always felt we let go too soon. 

Have to give credit to Robbie Winters and Lee Sharp though, the oldest players on the park, against some young, bright Alloa players. Robbie stayed a good bit later than he was planning to and pretty much refused to go off and for Sharpy, he only got the phone call at 10pm on Friday night and came at the drop of a hat. Says a lot about them and Kev. 

Do have a wee video of the day that has a few thoughts from the Legends and Current Team, plus a wee surprise at the end which is worth waiting for. My software crashed though so will hopefully have it put together again later today or tomorrow.

Looking forward to that, m8.

Mashed something together on my phone from Saturday, no expert but a little glimpse into the day. 

Got a chat with a few of the Legends and Management from Saturday. 

If nothing else, watch this video for an absolute classic from Andy Graham.

Celtics first team have a friendly in Japan on the 19th, must be B team. Doubt they'd want their first team rocking up to The Recs after what happened to them last time anyway 👊👊🤕

Video was terrific with Andys a capella at the end.

Tonight's game was a standard pre season non event. Insert as many "minutes under their belts" type pre season clichés as possible..

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

7 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Celtics first team have a friendly in Japan on the 19th, must be B team. Doubt they'd want their first team rocking up to The Recs after what happened to them last time anyway 👊👊🤕

Video was terrific with Andys a capella at the end.

Tonight's game was a standard pre season non event. Insert as many "minutes under their belts" type pre season clichés as possible..

Would prefer goals under the belt right enough.

I'm away to Denmark 3-10th July so missing Livi and Albion Rovers. No doubt they'll both be thrillers.

23 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Did you not think tonight was?!

It was the second best game I've seen at The Recs this year. All the others are equal 1st.

7 hours ago, Rory said:

Are we likely to get any new kits this season? 

Wasn't the best football to watch last night but more minutes in the legs!

Think it's same kits. The white one we are wearing in pre season will eventually get the player names and squad numbers. Expect that to be our main away strip- doubt we will see much of the orange one this season, can't think of a fixture off the top of my head where it will be needed.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)