The Alloa Athletic Thread

30 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We've signed Rayan Mohammed for our U21s from you lads. I know he played a few games for you last season. What's he like?

Hard to say as it was very limited game time but from the glimpses I would say looks raw (as you would expect) but looks quite physical and not afraid to get stuck in to a centre half. 

8 hours ago, printer said:

It's Sir Stevie Hetherington.

Not sure why Falkirk fans are lecturing us on Sir Stevie given he has played 200 odd games for Alloa. We know well what he can do. Fair amount of those in the Championship too where he was very much at home. In fairness the Falkirk support have a good excuse for not knowing that as a firmly established third tier outfit. Whatever is in store for Alloa in the months ahead (and Viaplay Cup suggests there is much to be done), I'm absolutely sure that Stevie Hetherington is going to be a key man for us. 

Edited by Waspie

46 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Not sure why Falkirk fans are lecturing us on Sir Stevie given he has played 200 odd games for Alloa. We know well what he can do. Fair amount of those in the Championship too where he was very much at home. In fairness the Falkirk support have a good excuse for not knowing that as a firmly established third tier outfit. Whatever is in store for Alloa in the months ahead (and Viaplay Cup suggests there is much to be done), I'm absolutely sure that Stevie Hetherington is going to be a key man for us. 

Falkirk have developed something of a knack for taking performers from other clubs, sometimes at higher levels than Falkirk play at, and managing to make them much worse.

But it's absolutely the other clubs' fault because they must have been shite all along  :unsure2:

A season of fighting for survival with the looks of it . I've not been impressed so far .

The trialists we have had out with us pre season have looked miles off it too. Not looking good and it looks as though we have ran out of ideas or cash......

Where has Robbo been pre season? He's streets better than some of these new signings . 

In truth we have had a golden period from the time Hartley was appointed in 2011 through to 2021. We were relegated in that period but we always bounced back. We have had some great teams and great managers but we have been in decline since we got relegated from the championship and the shitty COVID season. 

A worry as I just hope there are two weaker teams than us after witnessing the pre season and League cup games so far . 

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

We've signed Rayan Mohammed for our U21s from you lads. I know he played a few games for you last season. What's he like?

He looked like a real prospect from what I seen briefly. Had an edge about him and wasn't scared to mix it up despite his youth. Gutted he away as we don't have very much this season 

2 hours ago, Oweny said:

A season of fighting for survival with the looks of it . I've not been impressed so far .

The trialists we have had out with us pre season have looked miles off it too. Not looking good and it looks as though we have ran out of ideas or cash......

Where has Robbo been pre season? He's streets better than some of these new signings . 

In truth we have had a golden period from the time Hartley was appointed in 2011 through to 2021. We were relegated in that period but we always bounced back. We have had some great teams and great managers but we have been in decline since we got relegated from the championship and the shitty COVID season. 

A worry as I just hope there are two weaker teams than us after witnessing the pre season and League cup games so far . 

You will know more than me but there's absolutely no chance that Alloa will get relegated in league 1 especially with Rice. A lot of people including your own fans were writing you off last season and we seen what happened I think you will be 4th again need to remember that you will still be bringing a couple of loans in during the next couple of weeks which will be massive and I think you've had a couple of injuries as well. You might miss out on playoffs but there's no chance in hell you will be at the bottom end of the table.

I don't think we'll get relegated but the more I see the more I think it'll be mid table mediocrity. Still hopeful a decent striker in on loan will change it.

Don't like the long ball up to Sammo, he's not as good at flick ons and holding it up as MacIver was.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

I don't think we'll get relegated but the more I see the more I think it'll be mid table mediocrity. Still hopeful a decent striker in on loan will change it.

Don't like the long ball up to Sammo, he's not as good at flick ons and holding it up as MacIver was.

He was much more mobile too. A big loss. No surprise he's doing well so far at Falkirk.

13 hours ago, Oweny said:

He had an operation in the off season. Heard it would be six weeks out - but means he missed pre-season.

Hopefully back soon. I certainly think he'll be in the mix for a start when fit, just too good and experienced a player not to be. Would have been ideal to come in for Sir Stevie. 

ETA Was great to see Taggs on the bench on Sat. If he's fit enough Rice must be tempted to involve him on Saturday. Although Morgyn Neill looks like he could be a really good player for us, neither he nor any of the other centre backs (#) look to me like they can read the game or organise a defence the way Taggs can. And of course his pace is a huge asset.

# Obviously excluding Andy.

Edited by printer

52 minutes ago, Bay Citizen said:

Edinburgh City have just taken Kieran Offord on a year long loan and noticed he was at Alloa last season.  Any thoughts on him? 

Would have taken him back here , never got that much game time though , should do well for you i think 

1 hour ago, Bay Citizen said:

Edinburgh City have just taken Kieran Offord on a year long loan and noticed he was at Alloa last season.  Any thoughts on him? 

That is really disappointing, hoped he would come back to us as well, although Brian Rice used him sparingly to say the least. There is definitely a player in there. Other teams getting good loans in, we need to get our finger out.

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

hoped he would come back to us as well, although Brian Rice used him sparingly to say the least. There is definitely a player in there.

Agreed there is a player in there but IMO the reason we haven't got him back (In fact wasn't he recalled by SM) was he spent so much time "warming the bench". Premier league clubs loaning out players want them to get game time/experience &, unfortunately, Offord got neither last term with us.

4 hours ago, Bay Citizen said:

I thought that there was potentially a very good player in Offord but he was quite often working off scraps with us and he didn't quite seem to fit the way that Rice was wanting him to play. He also looked like a player who was used to using his strength in games but with the step up to League 1 he was coming up against stronger, more experienced defenders and he struggled a bit. I expect that with 6 months more of growing and developing he'll fare a bit better in those 1 v 1 battles.

1 hour ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Rankin has said 1 or 2 might leave us this week or in the next couple be interesting to see if Rice will try to attempt to get the ones we are trying to offload maybe ones he worked with at us. 

If they are not good enough for 1 league 1  side they really are not what we should be looking for if we have any plans to make the playoffs at least,

we have had good loans in the past  can't see how we can't get a good loan in this season who can do a job  .