The Alloa Athletic Thread

Hoping does not equal expecting. I was simply surmising after a post by someone saying 'flew in from Spain'.

I'd imagine if/when Cathro does come back to Britain it'll be to an English Championship side, or perhaps as an assistant to a manager in the EPL. SPL at worst.

Underwhelming appointment and I stick by that. He may well keep us up but so could Paddy. I'd have preferred MM to make another Hartley-esque appointment, an ex-player doing their badges and looking for a route into management for example. Perhaps this avenue may have even been looked into and no candidates appealed to him. I'm not disappointed with the appointment, he simply comes across to me as a manager who is, and probably always will be, 'doing the rounds' in Scottish football.

Underwhelming appointment and I stick by that. He may well keep us up but so could Paddy. I'd have preferred MM to make another Hartley-esque appointment, an ex-player doing their badges and looking for a route into management for example. Perhaps this avenue may have even been looked into and no candidates appealed to him. I'm not disappointed with the appointment, he simply comes across to me as a manager who is, and probably always will be, 'doing the rounds' in Scottish football.

Really, have you been watching the team since Smith left, the only way Paddy Connolly was taking us was down, he made it clear he didnt want the gig on a permananet basis and it was clear in some of his tactics and team selections that he wasnt up to it.

I think we need to get over the "Hartley-esque appointment", we struck gold with him but for every good appointment there is more than a few disappointments. I agree Lennon is not overly inspiring but he had a good record at Cowdenbeath and did ok with St.Mirren and i dont think he is yet at the stage of being part of the serial doing the rounds in Scottish Football yet. If he keeps us up i suspect that we will do better next season and our results will be an improvement on the Smith/Connolly combo.

Sometimes I wonder if cowden fans internet history has more alloa in it than mines forever on our threads...

Im forever wondering if you'll make a coherent and interesting post on one of the threads.

Swings and roundabouts.

Hoping does not equal expecting. I was simply surmising after a post by someone saying 'flew in from Spain'.

I'd imagine if/when Cathro does come back to Britain it'll be to an English Championship side, or perhaps as an assistant to a manager in the EPL. SPL at worst.

Fair enough, when Murray fucks off from us we'll take Lennon off your hands. Danny Lennon is on his 3rd managerial job, having done a good job at his previous 2 clubs, he's hardly an Ian McCall type dinosaur who's been round just about every club in Scotland.

Seems to me this was only underwhelming for you because you'd taken 2 and 2 and made 28 in respect to Cathro.

Sometimes I wonder if cowden fans internet history has more alloa in it than mines forever on our threads...

Nothing to do with us being rivals for the same position in recent times.You wouldn,t see QOS fans on a Falkirk thread or vice versa,or would you.FWIW i want Alloa to stay up again,just through the playoffs this time.

ITV have produced a one off edition of The Chase suited to the intellectual capacity of Printer, Wilkinson and Wasps1.

It's called The Toddle :P .

Me and Printer are definitely nowhere near Wasps1 level.

Fair enough, when Murray fucks off from us we'll take Lennon off your hands. Danny Lennon is on his 3rd managerial job, having done a good job at his previous 2 clubs, he's hardly an Ian McCall type dinosaur who's been round just about every club in Scotland.

Seems to me this was only underwhelming for you because you'd taken 2 and 2 and made 28 in respect to Cathro.

I didn't make anything of the situation. The reports regarding Lennon were already online before I posted, indeed I posted about Lennon first, then followed it with a separate one about Cathro, simply due to someone mentioning flying in from Spain.

Realistically, I'd have expected MM to make an appointment based along what has been successful for him/Alloa in the past, i.e. the Hartley model. Take Neil McCann for example. He's not long left the playing side of things, he's completed badges at Largs and now has three years experience as an assistant manager. Dunfermline seem to be plodding along right now and maybe he'd like a change, especially if he would be getting to cut his teeth as a manager as opposed to an assistant-manager. Just an example.

Like I said, I'm not against the Lennon signing, it's just a little uninspiring to me. Should he keep us up and be a success with Alloa, believe me I'll still be extremely happy!

Each to their own and all that, simply just a difference of opinion, isn't this what this website is for. Too much taken as scripture on here by some (not directed at you Moonster).

I didn't make anything of the situation. The reports regarding Lennon were already online before I posted, indeed I posted about Lennon first, then followed it with a separate one about Cathro, simply due to someone mentioning flying in from Spain.

Realistically, I'd have expected MM to make an appointment based along what has been successful for him/Alloa in the past, i.e. the Hartley model. Take Neil McCann for example. He's not long left the playing side of things, he's completed badges at Largs and now has three years experience as an assistant manager. Dunfermline seem to be plodding along right now and maybe he'd like a change, especially if he would be getting to cut his teeth as a manager as opposed to an assistant-manager. Just an example.

Like I said, I'm not against the Lennon signing, it's just a little uninspiring to me. Should he keep us up and be a success with Alloa, believe me I'll still be extremely happy!

Each to their own and all that, simply just a difference of opinion, isn't this what this website is for. Too much taken as scripture on here by some (not directed at you Moonster).

Glad you haven't taken McCann. If they get a competent team in there might be no more point and laugh.

Really, have you been watching the team since Smith left, the only way Paddy Connolly was taking us was down, he made it clear he didnt want the gig on a permananet basis and it was clear in some of his tactics and team selections that he wasnt up to it.

I think we need to get over the "Hartley-esque appointment", we struck gold with him but for every good appointment there is more than a few disappointments. I agree Lennon is not overly inspiring but he had a good record at Cowdenbeath and did ok with St.Mirren and i dont think he is yet at the stage of being part of the serial doing the rounds in Scottish Football yet. If he keeps us up i suspect that we will do better next season and our results will be an improvement on the Smith/Connolly combo.

Been to all five since Smith left. I did say 'could' rather than 'would' take us down, you've even emboldened it yourself. It's not like the players haven't been playing for Paddy, or indeed Smith for that matter. This season has been one where our performances have unfortunately been a lot better than our results and if Lennon can reverse that trend in the final four matches I'll be very happy. Infact I'd be very happy if we could just play crap and win for a change, it'd be a lot better than playing well and losing, especially at this stage of the season.

There's also no reason to suggest Lennon couldn't take us down too though. There's a lot of different permutations which could happen with the bottom three teams' final fixtures and here's hoping they fall favourably for Alloa.

ITV have produced a one off edition of The Chase suited to the intellectual capacity of Printer, Wilkinson and Wasps1.

It's called The Toddle :P .

Decent effort, mate. :P

Must admit I never imagined I'd be intellectually categorised with Wasps1. :blink::(

Of course you're entitled to put your opinion across, I just think it's mental! :P

If Dumbarton were in your position I'd rather have Lennon coming in, who knows what to expect from his players and the opposition in this league over someone like McCann who would come in and possibly make silly mistakes whilst he's still learning. I'm not sure that's a wise plan at this point in the season.

Think this is a solid long term appointment for Alloa. The season when the two of us and Stirling were battling for promotion out of Division 2 was one of the best supporting Cowden and Danny is to thank for that. Just don't go 3-0 up at half time too often.

Hopefully he takes his time to adapt though!