The Alloa Athletic Thread

Frankly disappointed that Wasps1 hasn't attempted a horrifying managerial appointment April Fool. If only Wilko had waited a few days; would've saved a few nights of waking up in a cold sweat :shutup

Success with Hamilton and Clyde, saved Alloa from almost certain relegation in his first season, one goal away from winning the second division title for the second time in our history.

Pity you missed it.

I think we had a fair bit to do with your saving from relegation. Mainly by being absolute horseshit.

Alight lads, earlier this evening I recorded a podcast with young Greig Spence - CLICK.

The podcast starts and finishes with him talking about his time at Alloa; there's also plenty of stuff in there about his time at Celtic, Hamilton and Raith Rovers. Something for everyone!

I think he comes across very well in it. He's probably been my favourite person to speak to since we started the series.

Alight lads, earlier this evening I recorded a podcast with young Greig Spence - CLICK.

The podcast starts and finishes with him talking about his time at Alloa; there's also plenty of stuff in there about his time at Celtic, Hamilton and Raith Rovers. Something for everyone!

I think he comes across very well in it. He's probably been my favourite person to speak to since we started the series.

Another excellent interview Francesc, really enjoyed it. He does indeed come across very well as he has since he first broke into the Alloa team. I would say that although he says that himself and Liam have 26 goals between them that Greig only has 3 or 4 in the league and that has been an issue, we needed him to get a few more really. He makes a good point about us overplaying it at times but there has IMO also been games where he hasn't held the ball up well enough or disappeared out of games a bit.

I reckon he would score an awful lot in a team creating lots of chances and getting lots of men into the box but that isn't our situation in this league. He has been a good addition though and that night against Rangers alone is enough to make him a club legend forever. Looked sharp when he came on against Hearts recently before getting the knock so hopefully he is all set for a big finish to the season. 7 goals in the Challenge Cup too, I hope he gets a chance to add to that on Sunday.

Edited by Waspie

Ill give this a listen later, love the site though so sure this will be another great one

Don't worry we're safe Cowden are a bombscare ;)

Have to agree with that. If Alloa really can't get out of this, they more than deserve to go down.

Don't even think Cowden will score again this season, well maybe one.

We're far from safe just now. Getting points on the board quickly now will put heaps of pressure on the players of the other teams and I feel we will rue not seeing out the three points on Saturday. Had we done, Livi's hopes of 8th would've been extremely faint and Cowden's players would know that even a win wouldn't be enough to leap-frog Alloa. That late equaliser, coupled with the fact Cowden now play a home game against Dumbarton whilst both Livi and Alloa sit idle (league-wise) must be a massive incentive for them just now. If Raith were to lose to Falkirk, it would end Raith's hopes of a play-off spot and then Cowden would be playing two teams in a matter of days with little to play for...last season anyone?! We don't have a 9 point gap this time around either.

We really need a favour from both Dumbarton and Raith. I'd be happy if Cowden came away from those two games with only a point to show for it but I can see them beating Dumbarton this Saturday unfortunately. If they do, it would give their players some confidence going into the midweek match too, especially as we'll be unlikely to get anything at Tynecastle on the same night. Theoretically they could even go into the games on the 11th (when they play Livingston and Alloa play Dumbarton) with a chance of ensuring their safety.

For players such as Gordon, Doyle, McCord, Cawley, etc it would be a shame to see them perhaps finish their time with us with a relegation. They've been the spine of the side since Hartley took the reins four years ago and they've given us a lot of great memories, results-wise against the 'bigger' clubs this season and a double-promotion including the brilliant play-off performances against both Brechin and Dunfermline.

It's all ifs and buts of course. This season could still end up being arguably their best season in an Alloa shirt too, should they grab a Challenge Cup win and achieve league survival. I must admit my glass is in the half-empty camp just now though, probably due to last Saturday.

Edited by Sevennil

Cowden win against Dumbarton puts us in a hard position now.

This was an expected result, the worst result today was Raith losing. Staying within 3 points of Cowden before the final game is what we need to try and achieve just to give ourselves a chance, but that'll be even harder now with Raith also having nothing to play for against them now.

Yip. Counting on Raith fulfilling their customary, traditional and neeborly 0-1 end of season 3 point donation.

Thanks in advance Rovers.

That would be nice.