The Alloa Athletic Thread

Great bit of ambition shown by the club and hopefully it'll pay off for us. We'll still likely be a point off 8th after tonight with 2 extra games played but if he can knock a few in against the bottom-half teams in the last quarter, whom we play at home, then maybe that could be enough to keep us up. Knowing our luck he'll get injured tonight and be out until June!

Story has just been on SSN too.

Well I didn't see that coming. Doesn't seem to have played much so we'll have to see what state he is in and is he capable of getting to a decent enough level in what will be a pretty short space of time between now and the end of the season. Everybody knows though that we have lacked a striker with a bit of presence and the ability to stick a few of the chances away and as such you can see why they have taken a shot on him. I must say it's the kind of signing that worries me in terms of the finances but have to trust Mike Mulraney on that one, never been his style to go crazy with the player budget. By the sounds of it the deal was done through a link with our head scout so would like to think it's not big money and just something that can help us out and put Chopra in the shop window for a bigger club in the summer. Time will tell!

That is an outstanding signing.

Steady on. Sure he's played most of his career at a decent level (certainly better than the arse end of the First Division) but he was, at best, a distinctly average player. But people have heard of him so he must be "outstanding".

Of course he might end up scoring a handful of goals and keep Alloa up. Still, "outstanding" is pushing it.

Edited by yoda

Well I didn't see that coming. Doesn't seem to have played much so we'll have to see what state he is in and is he capable of getting to a decent enough level in what will be a pretty short space of time between now and the end of the season. Everybody knows though that we have lacked a striker with a bit of presence and the ability to stick a few of the chances away and as such you can see why they have taken a shot on him. I must say it's the kind of signing that worries me in terms of the finances but have to trust Mike Mulraney on that one, never been his style to go crazy with the player budget. By the sounds of it the deal was done through a link with our head scout so would like to think it's not big money and just something that can help us out and put Chopra in the shop window for a bigger club in the summer. Time will tell!

No chance he wont be on a big wage. He would've been picking up a healthy sum in India and any club previous to that so I doubt he's signed for a ton a week.

Has he moved up here or will he just be travelling up for games?

Steady on. Sure he's played most of his career at a decent level (certainly better than the arse end of the First Division) but he was, at best, a distinctly average player. But people have heard of him so he must be "outstanding".

Of course he might end up scoring a handful of goals and keep Alloa up. Still, "outstanding" is pushing it.

Good for Alloa, at least they are doing something. Nothing to lose.

Dem chins.

Seriously though, Alloa fans should be concerned about the influence their chairman is having over the club. Seems clear to me thats why Smith walked away with a final looming.

Possibly. But his record was horrendous. No tears from me that he's gone.

As far as the signing goes. I will take anyone who knows roughly where the goalmouth is. Pics on the official site look ok. He aint no Armand One.

I don't think the reason Smith walked was anything down to who was making the signings this one seems to have been a last minute steal after Spence getting injured Paddy spoke to the chairman and the scout/admin team worked on getting Michael in.

9 games in India and zero goals - worrying! Slightly more seriously if he's remotely fit and interested then he should be a fantastic signing. His scoring record at Cardiff was excellent although he never really reproduced that elsewhere.

Last scored in 2013.

Great signing.

I heard he couldn't Kerela less.

As we've lost most our games for 6 months, that will mean a few unexpected wins then.

No one's getting carried away that this is going to suddenly change us into world beaters but it's at least a positive sign that the club are trying to address the lack of goals issue and Chopra has scored goals at most of the clubs he's played and anywhere near fit should do a decent job at this level but these signings are always a risk just like the Riordan signing but the news has at least given the fans a bit of a lift.