The Alloa Athletic Thread

I think we'll struggle to hold onto players like McCord and Gordon if we go down.

Realistically I think we'll keep:

McDowall

Tiffoney

Docherty

Marr

Simmons

Flannigan

Holmes

Buchanan

Layne

Spence

Tiff should have been playing this season but I think his off field antic cost him. Think buchanan will remain in the championship if we go down aswell. Similarly whatever league were in I wouldnt extend Gibsons contract and if we go down I'd like too see some youngsters get some game time.

We'll do our best to keep you in the hunt by beating Livi at the weekend. It's not game over yet but we're in a helluva strong position. f**k knows how after the season we've had to endure.

I think they'll maybe have you, y'know. Been waiting for them to wake up all season, and they'll probably win just to be c***s. If that happens, I think we're finishing bottom unless we beat Dumbarton.

Ah well. 'mon the Wasps anyways! :P

We have been utterly dreadful all season. Playing 4-4-2 when the manager was the guy that switched us to 3-5-2 last season and kept us up playing good football. 4 across the middle means we get over-run and destroyed as has happened so many times this season. Even the 4-5-1 he used reduced us to tears as we then had no attacking threat. Dropping our best defender constantly, even though he brought him to the club. Playing players constantly out of position and watching them be utter garbage because they were always caught out positionaly.

As soon as he stopped all that the defence has shored up and not been destoyed by top half teams and we've comfortably beaten bottom half teams.

We'll do our best to keep you in the hunt by beating Livi at the weekend. It's not game over yet but we're in a helluva strong position. f**k knows how after the season we've had to endure.

Correct

For me there was a difference in the team on out recent trip to ibrox and we've kicked on. We really seem up 4 it, players fighting and general feel good factor from end of last season has returned.

Sat massive, however hopefully we can take all 3 points and keep livi bottom.

Think we'll do well to hold onto Liam too, sadly. He's attracted plaudits even in games in which we've never looked like scoring.

Hope Tiffers gets more game time next year - always entertaining to see the wee shagger's bandy legs ripping about the pitch.

It would've been nice to get Lennon in last month. He might have assessed the squad by now and offered contracts for next season.

Question for Wasps fans.

With just five wins in 33 games this season so far, if we avoid relegation, will you consider this season a success?

Of course, I have enjoyed this season scores have definitely not showed performances

Question for Wasps fans.

With just five wins in 33 games this season so far, if we avoid relegation, will you consider this season a success?

Finishing 8th would be a great success considering the strength of the league.

Edited by Escobar_J

Question for Wasps fans.

Yes with an if, or no with a but.

We'll have stayed up, which was always going to be a great achievement this season. We've also had a great cup run, although it would feel a lot better if we'd lost after putting in a performance that reflected what the players have done this season. Unfortunately, we'll have been more reliant on other teams being poor than is comfortable, but if you'd seen this table last June, you'd have taken it.

Also, as Wilko says, I've enjoyed watching the team play, especially in the first half of the season. I find our style of play entertaining, even when we aren't winning. Pretty optimistic that'll continue.

Yes with an if, or no with a but.

We'll have stayed up, which was always going to be a great achievement this season. We've also had a great cup run, although it would feel a lot better if we'd lost after putting in a performance that reflected what the players have done this season. Unfortunately, we'll have been more reliant on other teams being poor than is comfortable, but if you'd seen this table last June, you'd have taken it.

Also, as Wilko says, I've enjoyed watching the team play, especially in the first half of the season. I find our style of play entertaining, even when we aren't winning. Pretty optimistic that'll continue.

Tbh in august if you asked me to roughly guess where wed be the now I'd have said 9th. The cup run was a nice little bonus and bringing in danny Lennon has been another bonus of the season. Still plenty too smile about

Question for Wasps fans.

If we stay up in any circumstances then it has to be a great success, it would be the first time ever we would have managed a third consecutive season at this level. It will be one of the most memorable campaigns in the history of the club whatever happens over the next few weeks, beating Hibs for the first time in 90 odd years, drawing twice at Ibrox and of course the incredible Petrofac Cup win over Rangers ensures that. A real shame we didn't complete the set with Hearts at the Recs when we had them on the ropes but that was a fine day also despite the flukely late goal we conceded.

The hugely frustrating thing has been so often failing to take points from games in which we played well and created chances but lost narrowly. Going down in those circumstances would certainly feel like a big missed opportunity and coupled with the depressing no show in the cup final - which was one of the great days to be an Alloa fan until it kicked off - would be a sore one. But those other results will never be forgotten, I was walking around with a smile on my face for days after that Rangers win.

The win today has given us hope again anyway, it's not over yet.

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I agree with pretty much all of you.

Next question then. :)

Would you consider the last four seasons the most successful time in Alloa's history/recent history?

Actually quite interested to see how people answer this.

What books have been written about the Wasps' history, and are any still in print?

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I agree with pretty much all of you.

Next question then. :)

Would you consider the last four seasons the most successful time in Alloa's history/recent history?

Tough one. Rivals would be the team of the early 1920's who were the first club in Scottish football to win promotion and who as a result played in the top flight. The late 1930's side who went back up to the top league and came close to reaching the semi final of the Scottish Cup would be next, they were supposedly a great attacking team who attracted big crowds to the Recs.

After that I'd guess the next team would be the early 80's team who finished 6th in Division 1 which at the time was 16th overall in the Scottish League, higher than the top flight seasons. More recently the late 90's/early 00's teams who won Division 3 and twice won promotion from Division 2, won the Challenge Cup in 99 and lost a final in 01 as well as taking three SPL scalps would be real contenders. The current era has seen another title and back to back promotions for the first time as well as surviving in the second tier for just the second time. If they manage to do that again and when you add in another cup final and the results against the likes of Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs then I think it would be most succesful time in the club's history. Others I'm sure would argue for earlier teams!

Actually quite interested to see how people answer this.

What books have been written about the Wasps' history, and are any still in print?

There was the Stuart Latham handbook in the early 80's and earlier handbooks in the late 40's and early 50's. Those are the only ones I am aware of and none are still in print. There is some good stuff in Daniel Gray's 'Stramash' which was published a couple of years ago. The definitive Alloa history is still to be written :) .