The Alloa Athletic Thread

Asghar has been away from Motherwell for over a year. He spent most of last season playing for our reserves as a non contract trialist.

Hetherington was released by Motherwell in 2013 aswell

I'm sure we Liam Buchanan on trial at some point last year, maybe 2 year ago. He was deemed not good enough.

We did when Muzz had just came in so that must've been about January 2012 I think played in the reserve league a few times and then disappeared.

I'm sure we Liam Buchanan on trial at some point last year, maybe 2 year ago. He was deemed not good enough.

I wouldn't be too bothered about that, half of Dumbarton's squad weren't deemed good enough for Alloa and they have all done pretty well! We have a few of our own who didn't set the heather on fire elsewhere but who have been great for Alloa.

Nevertheless, I'd have to say that Buchanan would be a rather underwhelming signing. A good player a few years ago but hasn't done so well of late and I didn't think he offered much whilst on trial at the weekend. I was hoping for better. If he does sign though he will get my full support. He has been a good goalscorer and he is still at a decent age, we'd have to hope that Barry Smith fancies his chances of getting Buchanan back to something like his form of old.

Marr best bit of business so far for me if he keeps himself fit

Add in Gordon and I would go along with this. I must say if we have signed Buchanan it looks pretty desperate tbh, I think Eddie Ferns will be a big player for us this season. His goals towards the end of the season helped play a part in us staying up.

Buchanan played a couple of friendlies for Brechin and did well. McKinnon was keen to sign him but couldn't match the money Alloa were offering. Looked a useful player but must say I'm surprised he's moved up a division after struggling at Ayr and East Fife in recent years.

I wouldn't say he struggled at East Fife. He was probably their best player and scored a good amount of goals. He'll do better than people think, I reckon. A likeable player who always gives 100% and is a good footballer too. Alloa could do worse. Hopefully he's a success!

Buchanan played a couple of friendlies for Brechin and did well. McKinnon was keen to sign him but couldn't match the money Alloa were offering. Looked a useful player but must say I'm surprised he's moved up a division after struggling at Ayr and East Fife in recent years.

To be honest his stats at those clubs would give me a bit of hope, 6 in 14 at Ayr and double figures in what was widely regarded as a pretty shite East Fife team. He signed tonight anyway so welcome to him and hopefully he can do a job. Our striking options are definitely better than last season. Time will tell if they will be good enough.

I doubt Buchanan will be in the first 11 to begin with, expect us to go into loan market to pick up another striker to play alongside Spence. Never the less he gives us another option up front, and had a decent pedigree before losing his way a wee bit in the last few years. Goes without saying hope he does well.

First half we were rotten. Buchanan contributing nothing more than what we already have. We just couldnt get going. 2nd half much improved especially last 20 mins. Problem is that it is the same old faces we rely on (Cawley, McCord, Doyle, Gordon,Meggat) We really need to strengthen the squad.

First half we were rotten. Buchanan contributing nothing more than what we already have. We just couldnt get going. 2nd half much improved especially last 20 mins. Problem is that it is the same old faces we rely on (Cawley, McCord, Doyle, Gordon,Meggat) We really need to strengthen the squad.

Looking at today though and having our expectations on surviving again for another season it's looking good. In the weekender paper 12 alloa youths have signed full time deals in a modern apprenticeship deal. This could be a bit of a transition for a possible full time team in the future.

Looking at today though and having our expectations on surviving again for another season it's looking good. In the weekender paper 12 alloa youths have signed full time deals in a modern apprenticeship deal. This could be a bit of a transition for a possible full time team in the future.

i'm sure Cowdenbeath are doing the same with having full time youths. I assume its some sort of scheme we've signed up for. We'll never be full time because we don't attract enough support locally. We may have the odd player being paid full time wages whilst still being classified as a part timer in the future but never a whole team.

The point I'm trying to make is that last season we didnt strengthen at all and only survived due to an injury time goal scored elsewhere. Unless there are some amazing signings that no one knows about at the moment coming over the next couple of weeks then we will be no stronger than we were last season and playing in a far more difficult league. We cant rely on the players that got us out of the 3rd and 2nd divs forever.

I'm willing to give everyone a chance but signing players who played for Stranraer, East Fife and the Binos last season is not exactly what i had in mind.