The Alloa Athletic Thread

Aye, I think most of us have been expecting Calum would be away for months now. Certainly doesn't do our chances of holding on to these kinds of players any harm if we can do the business against Brechin and go up.

Do we have any players who are contracted beyond the end of the season?

23 minutes ago, weecountywaspie said:

My son came home from school today with a free kids tickets for this Saturday game vs Brechin 

The club are giving them out to schools great idea. You can only use them with a full paying adult gets the young fans involved 

Aye, they've been doing it for a while. I remember the wean getting a free ticket to the Elgin game where we lifted the fourth tier title (forget if it was still Division Three then).

Little sod didn't make it to kick-off without whining about going home, so I missed it. Be warned, people  :angry:

22 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Aye, they've been doing it for a while. I remember the wean getting a free ticket to the Elgin game where we lifted the fourth tier title (forget if it was still Division Three then).

Little sod didn't make it to kick-off without whining about going home, so I missed it. Be warned, people  :angry:

Think it was Annan rather than Elgin. I'd have chained him to the terracing and told to lump it if I were you, not every day Alloa lift a championship trophy :lol:

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Just now, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Think it was Anna rather than Elgin. I'd have chained him to the terracing and told to lump it if I were you, not every day Alloa lift a championship trophy :lol:

He was seriously crestfallen when, after the cheerleaders had finished, he found out that I wouldn't be playing. Poor wee lamb. Took a Happy Meal to cheer him up again.

I wouldn't mind, but I'd been taking him to The Recs for five years on-and-off by that point  :huh:

43 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Unlucky today guys. Wanted you guys up as it's just made that League a lot harder next year.

Anyway, Greig Spence and Jordan Kirkpatrick. Either of them out of contract now?

We'd take Kirkpatrick, would be a great signing if he is out of contract. I'm sure he'd want to take a step up and also go full time

Unlucky today guys. Wanted you guys up as it's just made that League a lot harder next year.

Anyway, Greig Spence and Jordan Kirkpatrick. Either of them out of contract now?

Turned your back on him already so doubt very much he'd go back there.

As for kirky he isnt available.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

You think if he got a full time offer from us, he wouldn't jump at the chance?

He turned down a full-time contract at Raith previously to go part-time with Alloa, so perhaps not as clear cut as you suggest. I certainly hope we can keep Spencie. 

Massive disappointment today. Brechin in the play-off final represented a golden chance to go back up and we didn't take it. I have been rather underwhelmed by Jim Goodwin as manager and I don't think he covered himself in glory over the course of the play-offs. Two very very poor away performances. Dropping a guy with 23 goals for the first leg of the final was not a good idea. I'll never agree with McKeown over Marr either and suspect that will probably now see us lose Jason. Jim Goodwin certainly isn't afraid to make a bold call, but for me too many of them are unnecessary and wrong. I do hope he can prove me wrong in the months and years ahead. 

Will be interesting to see now who he wants to keep. I'd guess we'll be looking at a reduced budget. The prize money for 10th in the Championship last season allowed Jack Ross to put together a great squad, a squad to win promotion. Prize money for 2nd in League 1 is much lower. We did make money with the the League Cup run, but a chunk of that must have gone on the January signings. Wouldn't be surprised if we lost a few players this summer.

Edited by Waspie

What a sickener yesterday was. Haven't brought myself to go on the match thread and probably won't now. Looked great going forward but defensively one of the worst displays all season.

Yesterday showed how much I love Greig Spence. Man bleeds Alloa. Would love to keep him. Like said above I think it'll be a smaller budget & I'm struggling to see a serious title challenge next season with 3 FT teams. It's going to be very hard to keep this squad together and the likes of Calum Waters will have already had their head turned to championship football.

Take it Goody is contracted to next season too? Would like to see him stay on. Passionate manager and experience will only help his wayward calls sometimes.

Sad to see the likes of Jase depart probably but to soften the blow Sparky & Gordon signing would do me!

All in all, gutted.

20 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Yea yea and thats what you would have been saying if Albion had just done this :rolleyes:

I think it would feel like a hollow victory. I recognise that my opinion is unpopular, but there is now no reward for Alloa's hard work and good form in the dark of last winter.

The playoffs are sore to lose, but they make the league far more interesting. Pretty much every team in the league had something to play for with 2 games to go apart from Alloa and Livingston. Compare that to the old 14 team 2nd Division where you could have at least ten teams playing out the last month of the season. 

As for the Wasps, yep a disappointing end to the season. But after 3 years of fighting relegation it was a pleasant change to win games and score plenty of goals again.