The Alloa Athletic Thread

He obviously just wanted to give Brechin a chance, make the home tie exciting for the telly. Or he just loves league one.

That's right, Craig. That's why he picked the same formation and (pretty much) players who beat Brechin the last time we were up there.

That's right, Craig. That's why he picked the same formation and (pretty much) players who beat Brechin the last time we were up there.

Wasn't convinced by that performance, think it was the spirit of the players that got the win, particularly Andy Graham.

1 hour ago, printer said:

Must admit I missed this one due to traffic jam on M74 that evening, so will loosen the rope a bit on my somewhat lengthy rant a couple of days back. :)

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Didn't mean to be negative, just trying to see the funny side. Who could blame him for loving league one, we win games, instead of being pumped every week in the championship. Jim Goodwin, he's only looking out for your Saturday afternoons emoji6.png

Getting into the championship brings more money to the club . look at dumbarton , a level which we can aspire to . they can do it why not alloa?

when you have been there you want more, I have seen some really bad Alloa sides you have to set your targets high and keep moving forward, yes we will win more games in league 1 but we want to be playing at as high a standard as we can, Brechin won't be complaining they know what they have achieved and will relish the challenge. On another

note hope i can make the legends game on sunday, will be quite a day seeing all of these ex players , would love to have seen frankie cole again after all these years, lives in australia now? he was a player i liked a lot ...

3 hours ago, Craig said:

Who could blame him for loving league one, we win games, instead of being pumped every week in the championship. Jim Goodwin, he's only looking out for your Saturday afternoons emoji6.png

There's a lot to be said for this point of view. I'm tempted to buy a season ticket next year. I don't think I would have if we'd won promotion. But at the same time, whereismillar is right, we should be aspiring to the likes of Dumbarton, even if that means we never finish above 7th or 8th in the championship. It's a lot better than being the best team in league one, but never achieving promotion. 

Heard a whisper that Garry Fleming who was released from Dumbarton was on the radar to sign for Alloa, Fleming was a great player for Dumbarton and scored loads of important goals, I believe he fell out with the manager as have a few other players at the rock hence the reason he was released, this would be a very good signing for Alloa should it come about, what's your thoughts about this?

Would be a great addition in my opinion, always played well against us, liked what i've seen.

Getting into the championship

we should be aspiring to the likes of Dumbarton. 

I was only having a laugh about league one, I firmly believe we should be an established championship side. There's enough money in the club for it, good enough support, everything is in place for it. Look at where we were under Hartley, another couple of seasons with him and we would've been on away trips to Barcelona and the like.

I was only having a laugh about league one, I firmly believe we should be an established championship side. There's enough money in the club for it, good enough support, everything is in place for it. Look at where we were under Hartley, another couple of seasons with him and we would've been on away trips to Barcelona and the like.

If it went by average support Alloa would be in League 2.

You are doing incredibly well and have been punching above your weight for years.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If it went by average support Alloa would be in League 2.

You are doing incredibly well and have been punching above your weight for years.

True We have. but compared to some other "full time" teams not all that inferior , league 1 and 2 comprises teams very similar to each other in resources and cash flow

credit must go to the way each team is run , looking forward to gayfield again, last time i was up there i missed 2 early goals for alloa  as i was still downing a pint in the "harbour" ??

danny  mcgrain was the manager then i think...