The Alloa Athletic Thread

How likely are you to have somebody lined up? It felt like Goodwin was one of the first names mentioned for just about every vacancy during the summer, so it would have been smart for the board to have a few options/possible candidates in mind for what seemed like an inevitability.

How likely are you to have somebody lined up? It felt like Goodwin was one of the first names mentioned for just about every vacancy during the summer, so it would have been smart for the board to have a few options/possible candidates in mind for what seemed like an inevitability.
Have St Mirren not announced Gus McPherson yet?

1 hour ago, smpar said:

Very likely after the Dundee Debacle !

11 minutes ago, grant1903 said:

Gary naysmith 

I suggested that,  as an out of work Manager,  Naysmith might put himself  in the frame  the last time Goodwin was on the verge if leaving, not necessarily get the job,   it seemed to upset some among the Alloa support for some reason. 

If the stories are true what a crap time to lose our manager. I hope MM has a master plan as I'd hoped we could get a positive start to the season. Just glad we have a core squad already signed.

After the whole Dundee saga especially, I’m sure this doesn’t come as a surprise to anyone. Probably have drafted it up back then and St Mirren’s current chaos isn’t that much of a surprise if you read into reports.

Obviously not ideal timing, however, would it have ever been ideal? Like you say though - core have signed up, as well as a few additions. It’s an attractive job to take up. Let’s hope it’s as seamless and quick as possible. Sure it will be.

Surely Jim will take this if offered on his terms, its his team (along with us now) he would have to see a major flaw in the St Mirren setup to refuse if offeredthe board  have done well in managerial recruitment mostly , I trust they have the right man in mind , Paul Hartley is a big possibility .

55 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I suggested that,  as an out of work Manager,  Naysmith might put himself  in the frame  the last time Goodwin was on the verge if leaving, not necessarily get the job,   it seemed to upset some among the Alloa support for some reason. 

I think the reason is probably that Naysmith is a dreadful manager. 

Don't think the timing is that bad for us to be honest. We have our tried and trusted nucleus of players from the Jack Ross era retained and what look like 3 decent additions in Buchs, Thomson and Stirling. There is obviously still money left in the kitty to add to it further and the first league game is weeks away. If you're going to lose a manager, this is a pretty good scenario in which to do it.

I'm sure Mike has a plan. Main thing for me is that it's someone who the players will respect and who won't come in and try and reinvent the wheel. Goodwin started to succeed when he realised he didn't need to significantly change the formula he had inherited. Good luck to Jim with his move. Still has lots to prove as a manager but he has earned the opportunity. Hope he does really well.