The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, laughing gravie said:

Didn't take FFC long to train the football out of him.

Watching the Queen's Park 6-0 highlights, Stevie looks like a shadow of the player he was for us. Defeated body language.

It's odd it seems to have worked out so poorly for him at TFS, I really thought he would do well. The way Sheerin has used him has negated a lot of his qualities (aggressive offensive defence, mobility) and the captaincy doesn't seem to have fitted well with him.

Obviously there's an effect from the general malaise there also, but just goes to show again how a player who is brilliant at one club can be a failure at another.

6 hours ago, printer said:

Watching the Queen's Park 6-0 highlights, Stevie looks like a shadow of the player he was for us. Defeated body language.

It's odd it seems to have worked out so poorly for him at TFS, I really thought he would do well. The way Sheerin has used him has negated a lot of his qualities (aggressive offensive defence, mobility) and the captaincy doesn't seem to have fitted well with him.

Obviously there's an effect from the general malaise there also, but just goes to show again how a player who is brilliant at one club can be a failure at another.

Totally agree. I think maybe a mistake to put captaincy on him too. Maybe he feels he has to do more, and as a result spreading himself too thin.

As soon as he had a properly defined role at Alloa (2016 onwards) we saw the best of him. Ball winning and covering runs forward from full backs and others, or tackling folk and giving the ball to Flanny. Obviously only saw him twice this season in the flesh so hard to make a true assessment of where it's all gone wrong. 

Back in the day at times you'd give a guy a season to settle in before you saw the best of them. You're lucky to get 10 minutes in the modern game before fans have made up their mind.

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Back in the day at times you'd give a guy a season to settle in before you saw the best of them. You're lucky to get 10 minutes in the modern game before fans have made up their mind.

Or two minutes for the Falkirk fans. 

34 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Many heading up north on Saturday? Been sitting on the fence all week about going or not after feeling scunnered after last Saturday 

Of course. A new stadium to tick off the list, and probably the last chance to see over 2 other households before Xmas 

1 hour ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Of course. A new stadium to tick off the list, and probably the last chance to see over 2 other households before Xmas 

That’s what’s kind of making me want to go up, can unfortunately see a scenario where stadiums get closed in the new year with the way things are heading 

13 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/joint-response-group-update-17-december/

Just reading between the lines here -  sounds like there will be disruption.

We don't have the same luck as last year to be in a mostly full-time league. If you enjoy watching football in person I'd be making a point to enjoy it now.

Struggling to see how it won’t get interrupted with how this variant appears to be spreading. 

Be interesting what happens with the cup if there is a stoppage. Minded to say it may not be the worst thing in the world if it got moved until after the transfer window closed so the money from it couldn’t be wasted!

Missed the game due to having to self icolate . I don't like commenting when I haven't been but will make an exception this time . 

5 wins out of 18 simply not the best Barry . We at times had better win rates in the championship up against good teams . This simply cannot go on or we will be relegated by Easter . We won't bounce back . 

We have packed out a squad with guys not even getting near the team . Guys like Alan Trouten , an absolute brilliant Wasp cannot even make the bench . The same team that couldn't score against Clyde takes the field today again . No sign of young O'Donnell getting a start anytime soon . 

Would suggest in times of crisis like this , just don't go writing about other teams in national newspapers. Just focus on getting our  own house in order. 

Tommy Wright sacked today for much less than this . It's not working guys and I backed the manager from the off and supported him but the win rate for a relegated club looking to bounce back , with the budget we have is unacceptable. 

Brian Rice next or Paddy to steady the ship till the end of the season to keep us up . 

Edited by Oweny

2 minutes ago, Oweny said:

Missed the game due to having to self icolate . I don't like commenting when I haven't been but will make an exception this time . 

5 wins out of 18 simply not the best Barry . We at times had better win rates in the championship up against good teams . This simply cannot go on or we will be relegated by Easter . We won't bounce back . 

We have packed out a squad with guys not even getting near the team . Guys like Alan Trouten , an absolute brilliant Wasp cannot even make the bench . The same team that couldn't score against Clyde takes the field today again . No sign of young O'Donnell getting a start anytime soon . 

Would suggest in times of crisis like this , just don't go writing about other teams in national newspapers. Just focus on getting our be own house in order. 

Tommy Wright sacked today for much less than this . It's not working guys and I backed the manager from the off and supported him but the win rate for a relegated club looking to bounce back , with the budget we have is unacceptable. 

Brian Rice next or Paddy to steady the ship till the end of the season to keep us up . 

Paddy won't steady this ship over that period of time, equally inept. 

8 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Struggling to see how it won’t get interrupted with how this variant appears to be spreading. 

Be interesting what happens with the cup if there is a stoppage. Minded to say it may not be the worst thing in the world if it got moved until after the transfer window closed so the money from it couldn’t be wasted!

If it's played behind closed doors. 200k out of Stirling Albion's pocket would be quite funny. It's substantial for us but only about worth the combined total of season tickets.

12 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

If it's played behind closed doors. 200k out of Stirling Albion's pocket would be quite funny. It's substantial for us but only about worth the combined total of season tickets.

Not sure we should be mocking our rivals when we have potentially spunked a vast amount of money on a manager, large useless backroom team (including a kit man) when we already had one and a large pile of dung, sorry players (typo). That herd of pish may well take us into the same league as the Binos.

27 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Laughing at another club losing revenue regardless of who they are is poor stuff

especially when we are so dire just now  .  losing fans through the gate big time  but no one at the club seems to care  ( MM )   getting our own house in order comes to mind  ! .

16 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Not sure we should be mocking our rivals when we have potentially spunked a vast amount of money on a manager, large useless backroom team (including a kit man) when we already had one and a large pile of dung, sorry players (typo). That herd of pish may well take us into the same league as the Binos.

Don't try and depress me. I'll have to change the 404 page if we go down. 

As much as today was rough again, there should still be enough quality in the team to avoid the drop. Assuming another few additions in January too.