The Alloa Athletic Thread

7 minutes ago, Jagwasp said:

The fact is that players have been released by the club and there is nothing stopping  the club stating that they are releasing them upon the end of their contract like many other clubs have done .
A good or bad example on what ever way you want to look at it would be Durnan is on Dumbarton site where they state he has signed showing a picture of him with the Dumbarton scarf over his head without our club actually advising us he has been released. I think it’s poor & stand by it. 

We absolutely wouldn't put a statement out like what is included in this though https://dundeefc.co.uk/news/squad-update/

9 hours ago, Jagwasp said:

The fact is that players have been released by the club and there is nothing stopping  the club stating that they are releasing them upon the end of their contract like many other clubs have done .
A good or bad example on what ever way you want to look at it would be Durnan is on Dumbarton site where they state he has signed showing a picture of him with the Dumbarton scarf over his head without our club actually advising us he has been released. I think it’s poor & stand by it. 

No your point is perfectly valid based on that example. From what I can see though, the club are taking the most risk averse stance on announcements and I can understand that completely. The club aren't deliberately holding back on information just to annoy the supporters.

Also not that bothered that Durnan is parading a Dumbarton scarf to be honest 🙂 but I'm sure he'll do fine in the league below.

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

No your point is perfectly valid based on that example. From what I can see though, the club are taking the most risk averse stance on announcements and I can understand that completely. The club aren't deliberately holding back on information just to annoy the supporters.

Also not that bothered that Durnan is parading a Dumbarton scarf to be honest 🙂 but I'm sure he'll do fine in the league below.

Indeed. 😊

We get this every season; club not communicating enough, not signing players quickly enough, signing players too quickly.....

6 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

According to the record we are after PJ Morrison.  Would be happy with that.

Really can't see that happening , but worth a try As for Durnan He can parade around in anything he wants ,we don't care  like  FBS

i don't care too much for his leaving now , Strachan would be handy but not that impressed with him but reasonable enough squad addition , PJ would be a coup and a half ...

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

is there such a thing? Nothing worse than having to eat at the leftover table. This window particularly feels like it's been very quick.

Potentially yes, but I'd far rather we got the vast majority of the squad signed up ASAP.

That looks to be happening this year; Hetherington and Roberts seem to have been players Rice had in mind and he hasn't hung about in bringing them in (I accept they aren't confirmed yet). Devine, Strachan and PJ are, clearly, players the manager knows well. Virtanen sounds like a bit of a gamble, but one or two like that is fine.

Still a few gaps to be filled, but going well so far. I imagine where those gaps can't be filled with the desired quality then we will turn to loans. Personally I'd like to see at least one more and preferably two good centre backs coming in as a priority.

17 minutes ago, printer said:

Potentially yes, but I'd far rather we got the vast majority of the squad signed up ASAP.

Definitely....pre-season can only be 2, maybe 3, weeks away with the start of the season in mid July. Early signings give the manager a chance to work out his starting choices/team shape etc, etc. rather than leaving everything to the last gasp.

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Murray Miller released from Rangers, can't really say he was that memorable from the games we played against you last season.

He did well with us IMO. Came into his own more when Robbo was injured at the end of the season and he took on more responsibility and played more centrally.

Obviously will depend how he develops but I believe he has the ability to go on and have a decent full-time career. Very comfortable on the ball, works hard and can pick a pass. Also, although he only scored twice, both were pearlers, so he has that in his locker too.

I'd be delighted if we signed him, but I reckon he'll get full-time offers. 

Edited by printer

42 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

No surprise to see Hamilton have released Doyle. Another player that hopefully heads our way.  🙏

Hopefully. Releases Taggs to play centre half, or even left back. 🤪

1 hour ago, Polarbear said:

No surprise to see Hamilton have released Doyle. Another player that hopefully heads our way.  🙏

Would take him too , the thought of him terrorising his former club is funny 

As for murray miller maybe if we were full time  but you never know

if we sign most of the players mentioned we should be ok .

1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

PJ Morrison released by Falkirk

Daily Record has us after him.

I'm a bit surprised Falkirk have released him. Didn’t really seem to get a full chance with you. I know he made an error or two and didn't look overly comfortable on the ball, but I believe he's a decent enough keeper. Maybe McGlynn has someone better lined up e.g. Jamie MacDonald?

Edited by printer

2 minutes ago, printer said:

Daily Record has us after him.

I'm a bit surprised Falkirk have released him. Didn’t really seem to get a full chance with you. I know he made an error or two and didn't look overly comfortable on the ball, but I believe he's a decent enough keeper. Maybe McGlynn has someone better lined up e.g. Jamie Mcdonald?

We now need 2 keepers as we have none.